History Channel on Cults...

by james_woods 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• james_woods
    james_woods

Did anybody else get to watch that two-hour presentation last night on History Channel on dangerous Cults? An excellent program, IMHO.

I thought it was a real eye-opener on several fronts.

First, they made the particular point of the general similarity of many cults: Commonality included such things as the disturbed self-appointed messianic visionary founder (i.e. Jim Jones, Applegate, Charlie Manson, David Koresh, the pseudo-Mormon polygamy guy, and such), the die-hard belief in an apocylptic prophecy, the manipulation of the followers by thought control (brainwashing) techniques, sexual control or manipulation of the followers, monetary exploitation of the followers, the desire to make the followers look ridiculous to normal persons, the tendency to create communes and to isolate the followers from society, the belief that certain of the cult activities are in fact in fulfillment of eschatological prophecy and are thus "helping" to bring about the collapse of society,

One of the FBI "profiler" experts said that with the "time of the end" die-hards, it is often difficult to say when they might slip over the edge and start trying to bring about the "end" on their own. I was more than a little reminded of the September tract which was hinted to be a trigger to make all false religion turn on the JWs.

Kind of sends a little chill up your backbone, doesn't it?

• carla
    carla

I saw it, most of the info is stuff I already knew but it was a good program except they didn't mention jw's. I did like when they used the words, 'new light' and 'present truths'. (I think they used present truth) Those came on right as my jw came home from a meeting! haha

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Does anyone know if/when they're going to replay it? I need to tivo it or watch it WITH my wife.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

James:

I saw the whole thing. I was particuarly sickened by the one about the monster pedophile who fled to South America who abused all those orphan children in his recreated concentration camp with the nazi slogan on the gates. I was appalled by his use of torture and his fear of girls and women and his forbiding married people on his compound from having sex! This was similar to Koresh who forbade married couples from having sex. The difference between them was that Koresh wanted all the women and girls for himself. (Only he was worthy of procreating [or some other such nonsense] and he 'conned' everybody to obey him.) I guess it can truly be said that when people join a cult something happens to their brain. They literally check it at the door. It boggles the mind to think that intelligent people can allow this to happen to them. In the case of the Jonestown cult, what the hell actually happens that people will follow somebody with a messiah complex to their doom? Their fate was sealed when they left the continental United States and went to an isolated place where this guy could play out his fantasy as god with no interference from any authority. This is the key: isolation with no interference.

While there may be some who will say the danger from cults is exaggerated, this program just showed what the worst case scenarios are.

LHG

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

Here in the UK we have a "History" channel through SKY TV, will this be the same channel as shown in the US?

I certainly would like to watch this if it comes on again.

Twinkletoes

• james_woods
    james_woods

Indeed, LHG, I too had never heard of this nazi creepazoid. And while I had of course heard much of the rest of it, there was some new stuff there on the childhood of Jim Jones and the long progression he made into the Godlike delusion. I was particularly impressed by the testimony of that guy who was one of his right hand men, but who ran away into the jungle on KoolAide day.

But what got me the most was how closely you can identify practically every single one of these traits in the Jehovah's Witnesses - especially the charismatic leader, the high-control, the time of the end, willingness to get their followers killed or imprisoned, and even the sex-police and hidden child molesters.

It is absolutely sickening. If somebody should happen to find out when this comes back on History, before I do that is - I would definately like to know because it is well worth taping, IMHO. It should be required viewing for each and every active JW, with a discussion to follow afterward.

• Wendy_Warden
    Wendy_Warden

Does anyone have any idea how I could get my hands on a copy of this? I don't suppose anyone taped it...

Wendy

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Anitar and Wendy The History Channel will be airing the show again. http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=205733

I missed the show myself. I'm going to look on the site to see if you can order copies of the show.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I noticed that the link didn't work so well; so try this. I hope it works.

Decoding The Past

Episode: Cults: Dangerous Devotion

PREMIERE:

Friday, January 05 01:00 AM

Saturday, January 20 10:00 PM

Sunday, January 21 02:00 AM

Search for other upcoming

• Wendy_Warden
    Wendy_Warden

Thanks!

Share this

Google+