Will Jehovah's Witnesses ever form a SECT?

by Fisherman 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

UNlike all other religions including Jews, Mormons, and sda, there is only one jw movement. Indivuduals that leave the wts cannot organize another jw like religion. Why? I think that another jw religion would get the wts very angry. Anyway, will jws ever form a reform jw or any other sectarian religion?

• blondie
    blondie

I would consider the Bible Student groups were originally made up of individuals who left the WTS and formed new groups. It is true that the WTS did not adopt the name JWs until 1931, but those people were part of the group that had followed Russell and then later Rutherford. Most Bible Student groups are very much separate from the WTS but are similar enough that they do pick up a few ex-JWs as members every year.

I can't believe that there are not small religious groups out there that are made of mostly ex-JWs. I think if you used Google you might come up with a few.

Blondie

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

A sect forming from Watchtower would be difficult indeed. With the shunning that happens as a member leaves prevents many from following. So without communication to other followers, how would one spread the message. It could be argued that nearly happened in the 1980s when there was a pocket of people that held meetings seperate from the structured Bethel meetings in New York. So what happened? The group was disbanded and Watchtower made it clear to the elders throughout the world to make certain publishers did not meet in large groups aside from official structured meetings.

But then you must consider what Watchtower really is. They are a book publishing company with a select targeted audience, disguised as a religion. Without the constant flow of new books, magazines and special tracts, where would this sect build from? Sure they could just use the bible and other scholarly materials, but then they would realize they are not Jehovah's Witnesses and would not want to be anything like Jehovah's Witnesses.

Just a hypothesis...

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Funny that you would be the first one to post on this thread Blondie. You were the first one that came to my mind when I decided to post this topic. I pictured you as the wt conductor. I smilead as I though.

Anyway, I know that many tiny groups form, but that is not waht I mean. I mean maintaining the identity JW but of a different sect.

• Arthur
    Arthur

I think it would be very difficult to form a "reformed" JW church or an offshoot religion for several reasons. Being that the JW religion is not very large (in comparison to the Catholic church, for example); there is not a very many ex-Witnesses.

Also, ex-Witnesses are very diverse in their beliefs. Just look at this forum for example. As for the ex-JWs who still remain Christian; these also are diverse. Many (myself included) feel no need or even disire to become a member of another denomination. Some do. I think that the largest groups of ex-JWs you might be able to gather together for any kind of Christian fellowship is quite small. To my knowledge, there are in fact a few such fellowships (usually private homes) that gather around the U.S. Raymond Franz and his wife held such gatherings in their home for a while.

• blondie
    blondie

Well, how big and why would they have to have JW in their name? I'm sure the WTS by now has a legal block on any group using that in their name. I remember that a small group legally took hold of the name "Jehovah's Christian Witnesses." It made the WTS change how they referred to themselves in the publications. It was either "Jehovah's Witnesses" or "Christian Witnesses of Jehovah" but not the former.

Bible Students are not one big group but many separate groups that tend to unofficially support each other in various ways. There is no "organization" as the WTS is.

Remember the WTS changed their name to avoid association with the Bible Students that left, approximately 75% by 1925. It wasn't the Bible Students that changed theirs.

I don't expect there will be a large group of ex-JWs coming forth to challenge the WTS. Those that remain believers in God and the Bible are more interested in clearing out the WTS/JW influence. I find that many too don't see the need for a large group, that many problems crop up when a group gets too large. The groups tend to be informal readings and discussion of the Bible with a commentary or Bible dictionary. The WTS has become merely a publisher of publications and mover of the merchandise.

Blondie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses_splinter_groups

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Hence, Blondie, it doesn't seem to you that the jws cannot form a sect.

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.freeminds.org/psych/unity.htm

No I feel that there have been sects formed; perhaps not fitting the narrow definition you have given.

You might find that URL I gave interesting as well, as additional groups on the one above.

Blondie

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Blondie, hardly, a drop in the bucket is a "narrow" definition. I guess to fit your definition a couple of people even one person can form a sect and technically, maybe you are right.

But when I think of a sect, (and I often smile when when I think) I picture a large group that breaks of and froms a similar religion maintaining some fundamental characteristics.

I would not consider a bunch of ex jws that hate the wts and now have other views totally different from jw a jw sect.

But, if an organized group formed, with their own annoined and men and women elders an they preached and held meeting and office, or something like that.. That I could consider a sect. But technically, maybe you are right.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I think e-watchman is likely trying to form a type of JW sect. AJWRB seems to be a sect of sorts also. They are in to an extent, but on the outs regarding some issues.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit