Study Detects Recent Instance of Human Evolution

by zagor 142 Replies latest jw friends

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Lets not stop there!

The Human Transcript Map Go through every chromasome on the lower right hand side and find me just one mutation/varience/mistake/missing part that caused something good to happen. Just one.

This is why I no longer believe. You can SAY that errors/variences in the DNA code, genes, and chromasomes caused all life, you can believe all life got here via evolution, but the evidence I'm seeing does not allow me to come to that conclusion.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Kate,

Until there is scientific proof that a single celled organism can evolve into a more complex organism I will remain an unbeliever in evolution. If this is the means that all life came from, there must be evidence. There have been so many errors in scientific theory's in the history of science that it is ignorant to me to accept as fact an unproven theory.

Well I'm not a person that studied up on evolution, read a couple of books on it over the years is all. But single celled organisim evolving into more complex organisim happens all the time and it is not something rare, or unusual.

Every time the male and female reproductive cells of millions of different species unite and become a single cell, and then after combine thier dna in the nucleous combines it splits to become a more complex organisim, and it keeps on going in most case to become a very complex organsism.

In fact when we watch a time laspe photography motion picture of the devolopement of a single human fertilized eggs cell, we can see the history of how we developed(evolved) over the billions of from a single celled organsism to a more complex organisim that had gills and a tail as the fertilized cell continues to divide.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I only read part of this thread so please forgive me if I state something that sombody already said.

Scientist I'm guite sure will be able to tell us quite clearly just how we evovled as the better learn to read dna, they already have done the great feat of reading the entire human genome with some 300,000,000,000 bits of information. I'm sure in time by reading the junk dna they will be able to tell us exactly where we are located on the branches in the family tree of life on planet earth and how closely we are related to every species on earth that they know about. I am also sure that recorded in the junk dna is the history of how our spiecies developed the eye, and all of our complex body parts.

The days are numbered for fundamentalist who continue claim God created the earth and all life on it with the snap of his fingers earth, and that the theory of evolution is false. Because written in junk dna we will find all the sequences of evolution that brought us here with the body we have in this point in time.

• TD
    TD
    Another obvious answer; Because they share a common ancestry.

In your opinion it is "obvious" but that is because your starting point is that evolution is a proven fact. In my opinion they are two different animals in the same family that are close enough to mate but since they are two different animals they will be sterile.

LOL Kate, Since when is genetic kinship not a matter of shared ancestry?

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate
    LOL Kate, Since when is genetic kinship not a matter of shared ancestry?

When one has 62 chromasomes and one has 64 and any changes in chromasomes causes fatal/bad/big problems/ see "the human transcript map" above.

You can assume they came from the same place, you have no scientific proof of that. The science we have thus far disproves that these types of changes can take place to create another species. Like I said, show me.

We have evidence of sooooooo many diseases causes from errors in DNa and chromasomes. WHY is there no evidence of errors causing improvements?

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

List of genetic disorders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See if you can read each and every one of these genetic diseases and then explain WHY when something happens to the CODE it means something very bad has happened.

Now why can't we find the genes and see evolutionary progress showing the development of 2020 vision, or bones that don't break, or higher intelligence, why are all genetic abnormalities causing diseases? Or how about something really simple, a mutation/varience that makes one unable to get sick, or disease, or even the common cold.

Not going to happen because it is not already written in the human code. Break the code and get diseases. Where's the upward evolutionary progress here?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Apostate kate

The human genome contains about 3 billion base pairs of dna, one kind of amoeba has 670 billion and the bufo frog has 6.9 billion. A plant, the lily has dna size of about 110 billion. How would you define the adding of info to dna? Remember that a lot of the dna is not used. A lot of it is what they call junk.

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

Apostate kate

Would the mutations that have enabled the polar bear to adapt to arctic life be beneficial? It has hollow tubed fur, partially webbed feet, small ear, small tail.

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

Apostate kate

Check out the following examples of beneficial mutations:

examples of beneficial mutations. They are few, due to the reasons I described above, but they do exist.

Beneficial mutations relating to resistance to AIDS and heart disease can be found in the following FAQ: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/mutations.html

More information on the Apo-AIM mutation (related to increased cholesterol removal) can be found at the following link:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/inf...ipoprotein.html

From the link:

Quote:

AiG claims that the Apo-AIM mutation, which produces a reduction in risk from heart attack and stroke, results in a loss of specificity. However, these claims are incorrect. Instead, Apo-AIM is 1) of a more complex tertiary structure 2) more stable and 3) activates cholesterol efflux more effectively than Apo-AI. Furthermore, Apo-AIM has an antioxidant activity not present in Apo-AI that is sequence and substrate specific. Thus, far from a loss of specificity, Apo-AIM represents a gain of specificity and "information" by AiG's own measures. Contrary to AiG's suggestion, all current evidence indicates that the Apo-AIM mutation is beneficial for its carriers, whether heterozygous or homozygous.

Here we have one from mosquitoes:

http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~lindsay..._favorable.html

This one was particularly interesting, as it involved multiple gene duplications that allowed the mosquito to digest an insecticide. So in this example, we have a mechanism that added base pairs and gave benefit to the organism. (I have a long article on this one at work; I can provide it next week if necessary).

Here’s one from monkeys:

http://www.umich.edu/~newsinfo/Rele...2/r022802b.html

This one involved a gene duplication and subsequent mutation which allowed the monkeys to efficiently digest leaves.

Of course we are all aware of organisms developing resistance to antibiotics or pesticides:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/fitness/spetner.html

That last link is especially good as it is a correspondence between one of the promoters of Creationist information theory, Lee Spetner, and a medical doctor named Ed Max. Good stuff.

How about some plants:

Quote:

Brassica oleracea is among several species of Brassica that have been significantly altered by domestication. Farmers in Europe selected individuals from a common ancestor of wild cabbage that were more edible and succulent or stored better over winter (Fig. 2). Today, we see their distant progeny in the grocery store as familiar vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, kale, and kohlrabi.

from http://www.carolina.com/tips/99mar/tips399a.asp
    For a picture, see: http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~lindsay...on/cabbage.html

And don’t forget about the development of corn from teosinte:

http://www.nativetech.org/cornhusk/cornhusk.html

Quote:

Over a period of thousands of years, Native Americans purposefully transformed maize through special cultivation techniques. Maize was developed from a wild grass (Teosinte) originally growing in Central America (southern Mexico) 7,000 years ago. The ancestral kernels of Teosinte looked very different from today's corn. These kernels were small and were not fused together like the kernels on the husked ear of early maize and modern corn.

By systematically collecting and cultivating those plants best suited for human consumption, Native Americans encouraged the formation of ears or cobs on early maize. The first ears of maize were only a few inches long and had only eight rows of kernels. Cob length and size of early maize grew over the next several thousand years which gradually increased the yields of each crop.

http://www.theologyweb.com/forum/printthread.php?t=11726&pp=60 S
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia
    any changes in chromasomes causes fatal/bad/big problems/ ... when something happens to the CODE it means something very bad has happened

These statements are FLATLY wrong and we've pointed out many times already both the logical flaw and specific examples showing this to be false. But you continue saying the same thing as if nothing at all has been presented.

But don't listen to me....

Do all gene mutations affect health and development?

No; only a small percentage of mutations cause genetic disorders—most have no impact on health or development. For example, some mutations alter a gene’s DNA base sequence but do not change the function of the protein made by the gene.

Often, gene mutations that could cause a genetic disorder are repaired by certain enzymes before the gene is expressed (makes a protein). Each cell has a number of pathways through which enzymes recognize and repair mistakes in DNA. Because DNA can be damaged or mutated in many ways, DNA repair is an important process by which the body protects itself from disease.

A very small percentage of all mutations actually have a positive effect. These mutations lead to new versions of proteins that help an organism and its future generations better adapt to changes in their environment. For example, a beneficial mutation could result in a protein that protects the organism from a new strain of bacteria.

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/handbook/mutationsanddisorders;jsessionid=4B1344BE389349726FAEFB1A4722FA72?show=all

We have evidence of sooooooo many diseases causes from errors in DNa and chromasomes. WHY is there no evidence of errors causing improvements?

This question has a false premise....we've already given you examples of "improvements" (in terms of improved fit into the ecological setting)caused by corrupted DNA, such as the hemoglobin gene in icefish. What you have not grasped is that whether a mutation is positive or negative depends crucially on context. If this genetic corruption happened to human DNA, you would immediately rack it up as one of the many horrible deleterious mutations that do nothing but cause disease and misfunction. But humans don't spend their lives in freezing water, extracting oxygen through gills. The same mutation that can make a person dead on arrival is -- surprise! -- exactly what a fish needs to get get more oxygen out of freezing water.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit