FWF Disavows GB on 9/7/75

by compound complex 18 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

That seems like a fair way of saying the same thing. Whatever way you look at it, it is pretty ironic.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I kind of see the irony of SBF as well. I for one thought that the "body of elders" & "governing body" was an attempt at progressive democracy. At the time this was done, there were far too many congregations oppressed under the iron hand of the appointed essentially for life "congregation overseer".

Remember the "rotation of elders" idea? Remember how fast that got shut down, once the old power elite realized what they had done?

I will point out another Irony in all this - from what Ed Dunlap told me, I think that Ray for a long time had lingering doubts (at least under the surface). It may well have been that outside the dictatorship of Knorr, and with a fairly progressive governing body, he felt "safe enough" to open up the can of worms that all the false prophecy had been. We all know what having an honest say bought Ray.

Remember that a majority of the GB in Ray's days actually voted for a reform on the draft issue...but the power elite held sway because of the 2/3 rule and the effective FWF veto power. That stuff mentioned at the start of this thread was common Bethel knowledge - Freddy coveted the Knorr dynasty and hated the GB idea because it diluted his power of succession.

Remember, too that Watchtower article which espoused Russell, Rutherford, Knorr, & "now - here's Freddy"!!! It even had his picture - right there in the watchtower! This came about quite some time after the governing body idea, and it was widely seen as "revenge of the Presidents" over the governing body.

Progressive thought is not well rewarded in the Society.

• blondie
    blondie

Looks like Fred was not true to what he believed was right and Ray was honest enough to admit he was wrong and change. Ray wins in ethics as far as I'm concerned.

Blondie

• choosing life
    choosing life

Does anyone know how to find this tape on Freeminds or elsewhere? I checked the cassettes on Freeminds and couldn't find it. I would like very much to have a copy.

Thanks, CC

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher
    I read on Ray Franz's web site about the tape of this talk. Very interesting.

Could you please supply the URL for this website?

Thank you.

• slimboyfat
  • compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Friends!

I appreciate your thoughts and the link, SBF.

CoCo

• abbagail
    abbagail

Reading this brought about a "deja vu" type of a feeling... as if I heard about this startling talk by Franz somewhere in the distant past... I began studying with the JWs four-years post 1975 so maybe they were all still talking about it four years after the fact... Seems I remember thinking how they let him say such things and get away with it...

Even so, it didn't prevent the JWs from continuing to believe it nor keep the WT from pushing the "doctrine" for years thereafter and continuing...

Interesting comments by everyone... and pretty amazing Franz gave this "revelation" in the same year Armageddon was supposed to arrive! I wonder what he was thinking... trying to avert attention to something else to get everyone's mind off of the fact the "end" did not come?

A real "jewel" for newbies! Great job, CoCo.

/abbagail

• compound complex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit