Where are you in your recovery process?

by Nicolas 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• Gill
    Gill

I know it takes time to recover, but I still get quite mad about the WT orgnization and its very silly slaves, now and again.

I am regularly given the mags by my deluded parents who think I 'read' them. Little do they know I discuss them on the net and then my husband rushes out to the barbecue with them and burns them! Each to his own!!

I still see a counsellor. I don't think I'd have to if I could get away from our JW family. From one side we endure merciless shunning, and from the other side merciless preaching!!!

We plan to move away when the kids are out of school, but that's still a few years to go now.

Then, I would probably have fun winding up JWs who don't know us!!!

So whether we will ever be able to forget our JW nightmare, I can't say.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I'd call it around 90%, and it's a logarithmic scale, and I'm on the shallow slope now. I've done most of it and am not in a hurry to finish it off, it doesn't get to me now like it used to. After a couple of years here I've realised that I'm starting to read things and think things for the second time; at first it was overwhelming how much there was to take on, but now I know that there is an end to it.

I'm glad that I forced myself into life at the same time with a new marriage (YAYYYYYY!!!!) and starting studying, it was good to kick start the new me in a big way. I can't even imagine going back now, it just seems so pointless, creepy even to think what it would be like back in that toxic environment.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    but I still get quite mad about the WT orgnization and its very silly slaves, now and again.

LOL now and again? Your soap box gets more use than mine and thats saying something Gill

You are right though, recovery does take some considerable time; what really brought things home for me was the fact that I spent more than a decade being out of the organisation and yet hadnt even begun to recover. Its only when you start to research and to understand that you obtain a sense of perspective that wasnt previously possible.

I am in a place now that the WTS has no control over; my feelings of liberation and awakening are so profound it caused me to reevaluate everything in my life and to set things straight; for once although having already achieved a lot, I felt that I knew finally what I really wanted.

I think subconsciously I dreamt of freedom whilst inside the organisation and this was evident given my criticisms and cynical outlook prior to leaving - I can now confirm I am living that dream!

DB74 (Gary)

• Gill
    Gill

I'm proud of you DB!!!!

I hope one day to come out of that nonsense as far as possible. Apparantly, certain controls placed on a mind from birth cannot be completely removed. I have my Watchtower scars!

However, the counsellor I see says that I should be more positive as I have freed our next generation. Maybe I should be pleased. But for me, certain things are far too late.

I was surprised the last time I saw her that she said she had been discussing me with the psychs over the department she works for. It turns out that Jehovah's Witnesses are well known to them as a 'brainwashing cult' and they find the severe controls intersting and also the information I gave her on the Kingdom Ministrys and how the Watchtower seeks to control every last breath of their slaves. If you have parents who take every word of the FDS literally, as a child you're basically stuffed!!!

What I'm hoping is though I may never achieve things that I want to achieve, I can help expose the Watchtower for what it is along with so many others on this board and others. So, I have a new mission in life.

But when I read about people like you, Gary and others, I always smile and am always very impressed and happy for you.

If only I had dared get onto the internet a few years earlier.

But then, life is good out of any prison.

I can honestly say, despite my ongoing problems, that I am truly happy!

In the end, that's all that matters.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    What I'm hoping is though I may never achieve things that I want to achieve, I can help expose the Watchtower for what it is along with so many others on this board and others. So, I have a new mission in life.

Its never too late to start achieving what you want to, however you do a great job of exposing the Wacktower - its a shame it doesnt pay as you would make a fortune !

Its good you have had the strength to speak to professionals regarding your WTS experiences as they do leave scars and they need to be dealt with, in my view this shows real strength and at least in comparing our scars we can help each other heal.

Thanks for your kind words Gill.

Gary

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

We 'marked' our leaving three years ago - we use Jan 1st as the anniversary of it.

When I was first exiting, I had the opportunity to be in contact with the poster known here as Mouthy- by email. She told me it would likely take three years or so to get past the stages of grief associated with leaving. She was dead on in that.

We feel fairly well healed now, getting on with life. I would say 80% recovery, and the remaining 20% is not guilt, or fear, or any of that rot. It is just a continual presence of the old mindset still in the background. It is but a whisper of it's previous shout.

Jeff

• willyloman
    willyloman

What Jeff said.

It's been three years for us, too. The last time we set foot in a KH was December 2003. We ran the entire gamut of emotion and experience, got past anger about a year ago and entered into whatever that peaceful next phase is.

There are still some awkward moments. We are well known in the dub community here and occasionally run into former fellow inmates at the store or the mall. Each of these encounters has gone better than we had imagined, so we are now much less concerned about running into dubs wherever we go.

However, I am reluctant to put our expired Christmas tree out at the curb for trash collection, because a dub elder lives around the corner and drives past my house every day. It's odd. I wasn't concerned that he might come to the door and see the tree through the window, but I'm just not comfortable putting up a sign out at the curb. I've puzzled over this and decided I am ready for a confrontation if one comes, but I don't want to invite trouble.

The other day I was at an auto repair place having them look at my car. It was a very small waiting room. I was reading. I looked up and a sister I had not seen in over three years was standing at the cash register talking to the clerk. We had been "close" to her and her husband when we were dubs, they are a nice couple. She was about 15 feet away from me. It was awkward for a moment, as I was sure she was going to turn around and look right at me. I put my game face on and reviewed my mantra, which in cases like these is: Be gracious but grant no interviews.

I kept my eyes on her, waiting for her to turn around. However, when she finished talking to the guy, she asked where the rest room was and he pointed down the hall away from where I was sitting. She turned in that direction and walked away. That's when it occurred to me that she had seen me when she walked in and was trying to avoid me. Or, she just had to go to the rest room, who knows?

Just then, a guy came in and handed me my keys, and said he'd fixed a simple problem. As I drove away, I reflected that a year ago, I'd have been very nervous at such an encounter. But now, I could honestly say I was disappointed not to get to say hello to her. And I realized that's because I now relish running into dubs and letting them see and know that I am happy, content, and living a good life. I know it must puzzle them, and that's satisfying to me, somehow.

Is that part of the recovery process? I think so.

• jinjam
    jinjam

I can honestly say that it has taken me yrs to get over constant guilt feelings, depression, and self- loathing. Even now i will get those little reminders and i have been doing it on my own,its been 10 years now, might seem like a long time,but i was born in the "truth" and left when i was 18 or rather thrown out because we refused to go to meetings and obey my crazy mother. its only since i found this site have i realised that i wasn't alone, (thank goodness for you people) we all have been through those experiences, speaking to people who know what you talking about can do wonders to your mental health, i should know. by the way happy new year to everyone, hehehehehehe, just because i can!

• Green Chille
    Green Chille

Mad at myself for not leaving earlier, when I knew very well, the religion was bogus early on. Why didn't I leave, I keep asking myself. I had no one in the family who was IN except one.

• codeblue
    codeblue

I think IF my adult children were no longer JW's, I would be completely recovered.

Instead, I feel very sad and alone and alienated in life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit