Being materialistic, as a disfellowshipping reason.

by free2beme 21 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

I have never known any JW to be df'd for having a great deal of money. I know too many elders and their wives that would be out the door if that were the case. There are many wealthy JWs that do not give away their wealth and go pioneering either.

Things like gambling, fraud, etc., are what the WTS sees as df'ing offenses based on the basic concept of "greed."

Here are some comments on greed and related offenses the WTS lists as df'ing sins.

*** w84 1/15 p. 28 Our "Kingdom Unity" Convention—Why ‘the Best Yet!’ ***

This talk, entitled "Beware of Greediness in a Materialistic World," spelled out the dangers of greed and showed that some individuals have been disfellowshipped for dishonesty that has brought financial harm to others.

*** w98 9/15 p. 25 Negotiating a Reasonable Bride-Price ***

A Christian who greedily and unrepentantly extorts a high bride-price may even be disfellowshipped from the congregation.

*** w01 6/15 p. 6 How Can You Keep a Balanced View of Money? ***

How may covetousness, greed, or "love of money" amount to idolatry? Does this mean that it is wrong to want a bigger house, a newer car, a more profitable job? No, none of these things are evil in themselves. The question is: What is the heart attitude that makes one want any of these things, and are they really necessary?
    Our being greedy also indicates that we do not trust that God will follow through on his promise to supply what we need. (Matthew 6:33) Greed, then, amounts to a turning away from God. In this sense too, it is "idolatry."

*** w89 7/15 p. 30 Questions From Readers ***

While some claim that buying a lottery ticket is simple, low-cost entertainment, there is no denying the greed factor. People buy lottery tickets hoping to win a lot of money. This certainly runs in the face of divine counsel against greediness, which can be such a serious vice that it can prevent a person from ‘inheriting God’s kingdom.’ Hence, if a Christian manifested persistent greed by gambling, he could be excluded from the congregation. (1 Corinthians 5:11; 6:10) The Bible says: "An inheritance is being got by greed at first, but its own future will not be blessed." (Proverbs 20:21) If a Christian felt any impulse to ‘take a chance’ in a lottery, he should think seriously about the greed on which the lottery is based. Ephesians 5:3 says that ‘greediness should not even be mentioned among us,’ much less given in to by a Christian.
  • Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

I know someone who told me she was disfellowshipped for being materialistic. She said they overlooked it for years, she gave $3000 a month. But their daughters started experiencing another life when they went out in service and hung out with her, that is when they d'fed her. Didn't want them thinking of carreers and such when they should be humble pioneers....

• C_of_Tranquility
    C_of_Tranquility

I never heard of anyone getting DF'd for being greedy or materialistic. These are the attributes my own mother had. She was my teacher in that area and I vowed to myself I would never revolve around those things. The materialistic people in my Congregation always had me wondering, how are they going to handle the time period of being cutoff from buying, selling, or trading?

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Considering that when you lift the veil on their meaning of "spiritual things", it all turns out to be totally material, I'm not surprised. Being "spiritual" in the 'Tower means counting hours, counting pieces of literature, counting money, counting bums on seats. Even prayer is formulaic and not done like an answer is hoped for or expected. So to disfellowship people for acting in the way the WBTS has trained them, would be rather illogical. Plus rich materialists always give money to the 'Tower in exchange for bragging rights. Consult their article on Simony from the 90s.

• lighthouse19something
    lighthouse19something

I remember a jw contractor being df for not completeling his jobs.I believe he got in trouble for taking deposits from other jws.

• searching4truth
    searching4truth

I have never known of anyone being df for materialism. I did know of a cong. in one of the beach cities in cali where half the servent body own or worked for this investment banking firm. This firm not only stole money from several members of the cong. and commited fraud, but wts also had large sums of money "lost" there also. Most if not all were df and told they couldn't be reinstated till it was paid back.

On a side not I have never known anyone to be d/f for gluttony or drunkeness either.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Nobody gets D/F for being Rich!..LOL!!..Ever!...OUTLAW

• Scully
    Scully

Maybe with all her money, she could afford a few lessons at charm school. Talking about one's material possessions all the time is a sign of insecurity - I'm guessing that's how she estimates her self-worth, by what she owns, not by who she is inside. It's quite sad really.

• free2beme
    free2beme

I agree, it is very sad and she wont let up. She just called me tonight to tell me she bought a new washer and dryer. Not any washer and dyer, she had to comment that she bought the most expensive one. My mother is the Queen of insecurity, always has been.

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

I believe Poor People are generally more Materialistic and Greedy and Rich People. That's why they condemn those who appear to have more than they do. It makes them feel Superior.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit