Do "Christians" really believe the Apostle Peter was crucified upside down?

by booker-t 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• booker-t
    booker-t

I have heard this for many years but I just don't know if this is just a belief by a "few" christians are the majority?

• aniron
    aniron

This is mainly believed by Catholics.

• robhic
    robhic

As a good and impressionable catholic lad (man, was that a long time ago!!!) I was told more than a few times that Peter opted to be crucified upside down because he didn't feel worthy enough to even be crucified like Jesus had been. And whether it was a stake, tree or cross was never addressed so don't ask! ;)

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I too have heard that Peter chose to be crucified upside down as a final act of humility because he did not feel good enough to be put to death in the same way as Christ. This information came from a couple of Catholics I worked with several years ago, who both firmly believed in the authenticity of the story. As to whether any othe religion believes this, I have no idea.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I watched the CNN special on the First Century Christians last week. It referred to Peter being crucified upside down also.

Justitia

• Narkissos
  • Vida
    Vida

And the burial was at the Vatican cemetery. Underneath today's Basilica of Saint Peter.

Common knowledge in Europa !

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The Roman writer Seneca (c. 4 BC - AD 65) also mentions upside-down crucifixion as something that was actually practiced in his day (De Consolatione, 20.3).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit