Going to Ontario in 2007 also

by Cabin in the woods 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Cabin in the woods
    Cabin in the woods

I just read a thread that is running on here about a family moving to a lovely place in Ontario. Well, I am trying to do the same thing but did not want to usurp the previous thread. The difference is ... I want to go by myself with my 2 pugs and live in the 'bush'(deep in the woods) for a year. If I am able to handle the difficulties and feel that I can handle this life longer then I am going to make arrangements to stay on longer. At the moment I am looking up in the Powassan area. I would love some feedback from others on here that know the area better. My goal is to be near areas where I will hear the wolves at night but be able to be relatively secluded. Will need a phone. I am willing to draw my own water if need be. Any ideas? I have friends in Powassan that are willing to help me get settled in a bit. Would like to go in the spring. Please reply on here or pm me. I am alone now and can do this now...I need to further heal. Thanks, Cabs/Mary

• jgnat
    jgnat

Taking your pugs where you can hear the wolves at night? You do know that a pug, to a wolf, looks like "breakfast".

Edited to add: It is beautiful country, though.

Edited edited to add: But if you bring along a Great Pyrenees puppy to be the pug's protector, you will be all right.

• Cabin in the woods
    Cabin in the woods

Actually they would look more like a truffle!! Seriously, I never let the furkids out up here on the mountain even for a second without me because of the coydogs etc. They are cherished and watched very carefully. (smile)

• juni
    juni

I was going to say the same thing Mary as jgnat! Hey, sounds like fun to me. It's good that you have friends there to help you get settled.

Sorry I can't give you any advice about the area. Should be beautiful.

Wish you the best!

Juni

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Hey that means you will be closer to my JW mother than I am.

Do you think you could drop in on her and say 'Hi. Do you know you are in a cult?"

Why would you want to come to Ontario, Canada when Vermont looks almost the same?

Not that I'm complaining but the dogs will need to be quarantined, you will need a passport (a new necessity from the US) you will need to get the papers to allow you to live here (unless you already have some sort of of Canadian citizenship or immigration status) and in the winter it will be colder and perhaps snowier - although with the odd weather patterns who knows what will change next

• vitty
    vitty

I was wondering why would you want to move to another place. You seem to be in a pretty remote place now !

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I liked Ontario a lot particularly the Algonquin park but Toronto not so good. Great rock stations on the radio too.

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

Spent some time in our Northern Neighbors yard some summers ago. It is beautiful. If it was like that year 'round I'd stay but the winters are just too much for me. Good Luck.

• Scully
    Scully

It's gorgeous country up there. We used to camp near there when I was a kid. I don't recall that we ever heard wolves, but we got plenty of bear action. It used to be the highlight of the week to go for a ride to the dump at night and watch the bears and raccoons do their thing.

Decent fishing up there too.

• Cabin in the woods
    Cabin in the woods

Algonquin park is the area that I am looking at presently. Perhaps the Powassan area. Been to River Valley but that is so flat. Actually I will be going up in a few weeks to look around at the area and check the prices, meet more people through my friends.. see what exists. I am out on a mountain here but houses are being built around here yearly. Up the road one person decided to make his field into a trailer park and now cars are racing up and down our little country road.. aacckk. There is a way to go up for 6 months at a time and return to the states for 24 hours and go back for 6 months. I know someone who has done that. She is allowed to take one trip with her possessions and not be charged... after that she pays to carry her furniture etc over the border. That is why for me it would be 6 month to a year. I want to have some solace and heal. I dont want to see JWs and I dont want anyone to say that name around me or their beliefs. This past year I took care of the marriage problems... the divorce should be finalized next month. I want to see what I myself am made of..and hopefully will have the humility to stop and admit defeat if it bacomes too much. Does anyone know if there are any good places to take an art course or two around Powassan? Thanks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit