Fred and Ray on Door-to-Door: the Truth

by compound complex 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Friends,

The following is from notes derived from IN SEARCH OF CHRISTIAN FREEDOM, by Ray Franz. The chapter is "From House to House." Direct quotations are noted as such.

It was agreed among members of the writing department that preaching is a requirement incumbent upon Christians; however, there was no consensus as to HOW it should be accomplished. Some felt that the scriptural texts speaking of homes and houses were being forced into the context of a pre-conceived requirement of door-to-door preaching activity. Ray Franz made a chart twelve pages in length referencing all examples of witnessing and preaching from the Gospels and The Acts of the Apostles. He "also made a comparative chart of 27 translations and their renderings of Acts2:46; 5:42; and 20:20." Each member of the GB received his own copy of each chart. The findings of Ray Franz's research are presented point by point, in outline form, for ease of reading and retention:

Witnessing/Preaching Activity

Gospels/Acts of the Apostles

150 SEPARATE incidents (like accounts combined)

34 of 150 incidents refer to homes/houses

4 homes only - of above - are used by WT

21 homes provided lodging

7 homes provided lodging/ places to gather

2 homes to which ones healed by Jesus returned

"In all the accounts, there is not a single instance that shows Jesus or any of his apostles or disciples calling from one door to the next door or even going from one house to another house." --- Ray Franz, ISOCF, p. 220

During the meeting [with GB] in which the above was discussed, Ray asked his uncle if, then, the texts in Acts actually mean going from one door to the next door:

"Yes - I believe it can [not "does"] include that...For example, on going to a home Paul might have entered in the front door, and after his discussion, he might have gone out the back door, and so he would be going from door to door." --- ibid., p. 223

Laughter broke out among some of the GB, but Fred Franz's comment was stated in all seriousness. Ray was stunned.

The materials that Ray had prepared were given only a cursory glance, and a vote was taken - thirteen in favor, four not in favor - wherein the position was maintained that door-to-door activity is indeed supported by the aforementioned NT texts.

Compound-Complex

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Oh boy, and thus we have a requirement for baptism-o be a 'true' follower of Christ-going in the 'door to door' work. Typical. Its nuts what they let go right on by without arguement.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Slightly off the main topic, but:

- Uphold and argue for a "minority opinion" within the GB, you're still the cream of the crop;

- Only hint at the same opinion anywhere else and in no time you are "no longer one of JWs"...

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear JWDa and Narkissos,

I appreciate your comments - thank you very much. It's truly amazing, especially the recorded comments of several GB members. There was no concern over scriptural backing but only the most expeditious way to get the work done: the r&f are "disorganized personally" [Leo Greenlees, ibid., p. 222] and need arrangements through the organization.

CoCo

• Arthur
    Arthur

Along these lines; Ray Franz also points out several instances where the WTS gives enormous credit to the "Organization" for the spread of the good news; and even asserts that such success would be impossible without such an organized effort.

As Franz points out, this line of thinking is quite different from that of of the apostle Paul who made it very clear that the spread of the Gospel message in the first century was not due to human effort; but due to the Holy Spirit. God and Jesus Christ do not need humans to micromanage their interests through a centralized authority structure which utilizes meticulous record-keeping, data management, territory analysis, and coercion.

If one wishes to attribute global expansion to "Holy Spirit"; then maybe they should also credit organizations such as Starbucks, Walmart, UPS, and FedEx with having Holy Spirit.

• bebu
    bebu

- Uphold and argue for a "minority opinion" within the GB, you're still the cream of the crop;

- Only hint at the same opinion anywhere else and in no time you are "no longer one of JWs"...

So true!!

bebu

• Confession
    Confession

I appreciate this point, Arthur...

If one wishes to attribute global expansion to "Holy Spirit"; then maybe they should also credit organizations such as Starbucks, Walmart, UPS, and FedEx with having Holy Spirit.

Even as a zealous JW, I used to (philosophically) come up against this sort of thinking. When we were speaking with a householder and we were able to think of just the right scripture at just the right time, we were told this (among other things) was Holy Spirit. As part of my work, I write and produce radio ads. Frequently, in the same way, when I needed to get an ad written, I would think of just the right concept when it was needed. When this happened, I had to be honest with myself: it was no different. So was Jehovah, by means of Holy Spirit, miraculously supplying me with clever advertising concepts for my local Quickie-Lube?

Similarly, gratuitous assertions that 'this work of Jehovah's Witnesses could NEVER have been done without God's hand upon it' are completely ridiculous. Unless you are also suggesting He's had a hand upon Starbucks.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Similarly, gratuitous assertions that 'this work of Jehovah's Witnesses could NEVER have been done without God's hand upon it' are completely ridiculous. Unless you are also suggesting He's had a hand upon Starbucks.

Yeah, if the expansion that the jw enjoy is a symbol of god's strength than I guess we better all be scared or he might rise up and shoot us with a water gun....

[edit] Darnit. I wanted my 911th post to be in the 911 conspiracy thread.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Comment from Milton Henschel, ibid., p. 232:

"And what will the brothers do if we give them more free time? Probably use it in watching TV."

Comment from Ray Franz, ibid.:

"Whether they consciously think of it in this connection, the men in positions of leadership also know that the Watch Tower organization has produced a publishing empire of tremendous size, one that has taken decades to build up. That publishing system with its large, expensive branch offices and printeries and the impressive, multi-storied dwellings for those operating these, are a source of considerable pride and a frequently cited evidence of divine blessing and prosperity. Any diminishing of the pressure on Witnesses to engage in door-to-door activity with the publications flowing from that system could eventually cause that empire to crumble or require its being largely dismantled. I seriously believe that for many of those in the organizational leadership, the very idea of this is unthinkable."

Compound-Complex

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

The Society is wrong to make it mandatory for JW's to preach in a door-to-door, house over house style (only the very elderly and sick aren't expected to do this). It is especially lamentable that some JW's have been imprisoned and worse for refusing to perform this activity, believing that it was literally what the first century Christians did.

That said, Ray Franz's research in ISOCF doesn't prove that the first century Christians DIDN'T actually preach in some kind of house over house style. They may have or they may not have. The point is that JW's should have more freedom of choice in the matter.

I think Ray Franz does well to highlight that the Society have abused the 'house to house' concept, but there are weaknesses in his argument against the Society on this point. His claim on page 214 of ISOCF about the 'distributive' sense of the preposition kata not being the same as 'consecutive' is not sufficiently elaborated on. He fails to provide any examples or authority that demonstrates that for 'katoikon' to be rendered 'house to house' it must necessarily have a 'consecutive' sense. In fact, Franz does not give one example from the bible of a 'consecutive' sense meaning of kata and how this can be contrasted with the 'distributive' sense in an ancient context. Instead Franz has to resort to a modern-day analogy about a doctor making 'house calls'. Not very scholarly.

When you research things a bit more you will find that a 'distributive' sense has a more defined meaning than "going from a home in one area to a home in another area, just as a doctor making 'house calls' might go from home to home" as Franz portrays (p.214). For examle, R. C. H. Lenski, in his work 'The Interpretation of The Acts of the Apostles', Minneapolis (1961), makes the following comment on Acts 5:42: ‘Never for a moment did the apostles cease their blessed work. "Every day" they continued, and this openly "in the Temple" where the Sanhedrin and the Temple police could see and hear them, and, of course, also [katoikon], which is distributive, "from house to house," and not merely adverbial, "at home." This quote from Lenski is found in a footnote to the NWT reference bible but Franz doesn't address the point.

Franz fails to deal with the fact that when the distributive KATA is used, the idea of repetition is involved, usually with reference to people, times, or places. The word "every" is a good word to use in reference to this preposition. In the case of Acts 5:42 and 20:20, this was not necessarily in the methodical, 'house-over-house' style that JW's perform today when walking down a street, but it seems clear that the disciples tried to distribute their message to EVERY household in whatever town or village they went to. Given this clear point, it would seem illogical that the disciples would waste energy and resources by making doctor-like 'house calls' going from one area to another in the way Ray Franz proposes. I think they must have had a more systematic approach than that, but not necessarily as systematic as the JW method.

Here is some research on 'kata' from a relevant website:

Distributive KATA

Greek prepositions usually merit their own major section of discussion in the syntax of most Greek grammars. They merit such discussion due to their multifaceted nature. The Greek preposition is one of the Swiss army knives in the Greek language; one preposition may have multiple uses. The Greek reader must carefully consider the context in which the preposition is used and correctly apply the proper usage if he is to get all there is out of reading the text. In our discussion this week, we will look at one particularly special nuance of the Greek preposition KATA.

KATA may take two cases depending upon how it is used. With the genitive case, KATA can mean "against," "down," or it can intensify the meaning of something as to it's depth (such as in 2 Corinthians 8:2). With the accusative case, KATA may represent ownership, authorship, or repetition (distribution). It is sometimes translated "according to" with this case. It is the last use of KATA, the distributive use, which we will focus upon here.

When the distributive KATA is used, the idea of repetition is involved, usually with reference to people, times, or places. The word "every" is a good word to use in reference to this preposition. For example, in Matthew 27:15 (and in the parallel in Mark 15:6) we have the distributive use of KATA. The ASV text says, "Now at the feast the governor was wont to release unto the multitude one prisoner, whom they would." The word KATA occurs early in the sentence. It is translated here by the word "at." However, when taking the distributive use of the preposition KATA into account here, we would more accurately translate the sentence, "Now at every feast…." The idea is that this was a repeated event. That it wasn't just at this feast, but was customary at all of the feasts to release a prisoner.

Another rather obvious example is in Mark 14:19 where the disciples question Jesus "one by one." The word translated "by" in this verse is KATA. The distributive sense can be seen clearly in this passage.

Romans 12:5 is also another good example. "So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another." Each individual member is part of the body of Christ.

Perhaps one of the most significant uses of the distributive KATA is found in 1 Corinthians 16:2: "Upon the first day of the week let each one of you lay by him in store, as he may prosper, that no collections be made when I come." You may think that the word "each" in this verse is KATA, but it isn't. The word KATA is translated "upon" in this verse. The idea is upon every first day of the week, the church was to take up this collection. The implication is obvious. The church met every first day of the week and this was the time at which Paul instructed them to take up their contribution.

Other examples of the distributive use of KATA can be found in Luke 8:1, 4, 9:6, 13:22, Acts 8:3, 13:27, 15:21, 15:36, 17:17, 20:23, 22:19, 24:5, 24:12, 26:11, Titus 1:5, Hebrews 9:5, and Revelation 22:2. A good exercise would be to see if you can spot the distributive KATA in these verses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit