Slyvia Browne

by Blueblades 41 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme
    I like this guy, James Randi. He has an offer out of $1,000,000 to anyone who can prove psychic ability under CONTROLLED CIRCUMSTANCES

In defense of Ms Brown, who I do not care for, I would not take this offer either and it should be easy to see why. She makes millions in books, private sessions, interviews, etc. If I were in her shoes, I would ignore James Randi too. Plus, every interview I have ever seen him in, I have him to be a hostile ass with no open mind. He is very angry, and I think he had his Cheerios pissed in one to many times as a child. So I would rather sit in a room with Ms Brown, then him.

• ackack
    ackack

When James Randi is the villain and Sylvia Browne is the good guy, its little wonder you guys got yourselves involved in a cult. (rolling my eyes at these comments)

Unless you actually smarten up to these sorts of charlatans, you are leaving yourself open for another magical cult to come and sweep you away (unless of course, thats already happened)

ackack

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Mulan,

They are trained to pick up on things...for example, jewelry can give clues...such as whether or not you're married... sometimes women wear bracelets with the birthstones of their children... it can be many things.... I wasn't there, so I can't get too specific...but most people give away more info than they realize. ..The thing about your father is obvious.... who doesn't have an older man somewhere in their life...and she made it even more general by saying he could be dead.... Same words would have worked if your father died 5 or 10 years ago.... you just made it fit your circumstances....filled in the blanks. That would have fit me too... she could have said the same thing to me, and it could fit my life too...

Coffee

• ackack
    ackack

Remember the hits, forget the misses indeed coffee_black.

Don't Believe Everything You Think: The 6 Basic Mistakes We Make in Thinking

Great book! anti-crazy thinking helping book.

ackack

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

What the Police want is for anyone with knowldege of the crime to come forward. If such psychic has interesting information to contribute, the prosecutors office would be intereted.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

During the last year, I was watching the Motel show on a Wednesday (the day she is on there) and she responded to a woman in the audience who had a picture of an angel that her alleged "aunt" had taken out of an airplane window. Sylvia said this was her aunt's guardian angel. However, this picture has been on various ghost sites on the Internet for years and it is claimed by everyone and their dog that "this picture was taken by my ________ <insert aunt/close personal friend/uncle, etc., here) while flying from ________ to ________. The picture was later determined to be a hoax. I wrote Montel's show, but no word back. The same episode was aired again later.

CG

• Terry
    Terry

Anybody with interest can follow up on Psychic claims of helping the police. Police will tell you the psychics are so vague as to be worthless.

"The body will be found close to water." This is an example.

What isn't near water, a water pipe, a swimming pool, etc?

In the 1950's there was a very famous psychic named Peter Herkos. He was quite the celebrated fellow for helping police solve crimes. He was later discovered in disguise going to crime scenes in disguise questioning witnesses and relatives.

Below a letter to James Randi Foundation (Psychic research by skeptics) from a former member of the People's Temple under Jim Jones:

An anonymous reader, writing a personal note about the infamous Jim Jones’ fiasco in Guyana…

I've been a fan for a long time. I've always had a special interest in your fraud challenge; no doubt that's because of my own experience with psychic fraud.
    I grew up in the Peoples Temple and was a member of the Jones family by marriage to Jim Jones' daughter. Completely disillusioned, I left the Temple shortly before the exposés began in July, 1977. As you may know, an extremely important part of the Temple ministry and appeal related to Jim's “psychic powers.” Given my position in the church and close affiliation with Jim, I knew the healings and demonstrations of psychic ability were fraudulent. Most of the psychically perceived information Jim presented publicly came to him in an extraordinary manner to be sure. His staff robbed the garbage cans of prospective attendees (as well as existing members) and culled useful information for Jim's highly profitable psychic use later on. In fact, my mother was arrested in LA while going through the garbage of some unsuspecting Temple aspirant and doing so in blackface and afro wig, no less.

Occasionally, Jim had the temerity to suggest that perhaps not all the healings were based on his phenomenal talents. After all, he averred, continuous demonstrations of the "gift" would be simply too tiring. Of course, we justified this nonsense on the strength of that the old liar's mantra: "The end justifies the means." It took me a while to figure out that when that fat fraud made this observation to me, he was in fact telling me that I was the means to his next end. By the way, if you'd like to witness psychic demonstrations nearly identical to those we in the Temple saw routinely, please rent the recently released DVD of the movie "Nightmare Alley", a 1947 film noir, starring Tyrone Power playing against type in the starring role. Frankly, I think that very film inspired Jim to pursue his own chicanery.
    I often wonder if the terrible deaths in the Guyanese jungle in November, 1978, (including those of my entire family) might somehow have been averted had your challenge existed back then. Please keep up your truly "amazing" work. You'll never know how many frauds you'll frighten back into their holes and how many lives you just might save.
  • Mulan
    Mulan
    for example, jewelry can give clues...such as whether or not you're married... sometimes women wear bracelets with the birthstones of their children...

I did have on my wedding ring, but nothing to give away that we own a business and support several families. No birthstone bracelet, but I do own one. Just didn't have it on that day.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Hi Mulan,

It's not just the jewelry...that's just one thing I mentioned as an example...Just by looking at you and observing your body language, they can pick up a lot. of info about you. They can tell your approximate age.. the quality, cut and style of your clothing will give them clues as to your lifestyle and your taste. How you carry yourself, your mannerisms..., there's a lot they can pick up before you say a word. Once you do speak, most people give more info without realizing it. Your speach patterns give further clues. Your reactions to what they are telling you also gives them more info. Then, the things they tell you are worded in such a way that they can be interpreted in numerous ways. You are already predisposed to try to make what they say fit into your own circumstances. My best friend does this all the time when she has readings. I just shake my head...

Even if everything they said was accurate...and they can tell you about what you do for a living etc....what purpose does it serve? Don't you already know what you do for a living? If they tell you you are creative (that's one they always say to my best friend) wouldn't you already know that? It just seems silly to me. When all is said and done, do they give you info you didn't already know that will improve your life somehow? Seems like such a waste of time and money to me. My friend spends a lot on this... and really can't afford it. If it's just entertainment....maybe, but my best friend hangs on every word.

I saw a documentary recently where several people went to a person claiming to be a psychic for a reading. The "psychic" (who really wasn't) told each of them the exact same thing...word for word...didn't alter it a bit. Every one of these people came out of the 'reading" raving about the experience...amazed that the reader could give them so much accurate specific info about their life. It's all in the wording... and each of these people were of different ages, races and sexes... but it was a one size fits all reading. Each one had taken what they were told and made it fit their lives...even though their lives were completely different. At the end, the people putting on the documentary let these people in on what was really going on. Every single one was shocked that they had been duped...

I guess this subject gets to me because I see my best friend getting more and more involved with this stuff every day. She is now seeing everything through an astrology filter. In a recent conversation I told her that in my own spiritual journey I don't need a middle man (reader) to tell me what I already know about myself. I don't want to know the future. I want to travel my journey living my life day by day, not looking for signs of what the "universe is trying to tell me" I don't need a "science" (astrology) to tell me my strengths, weaknesses and talents etc. I already know about them. Her spiritual belief system involves all of those things. My spiritual belief system simply involves a one on one relationship with God. She responded that that's because I have "Sagitarius" as my rising sign.

Coffee

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    Her spiritual belief system involves all of those things. My spiritual belief system simply involves a one on one relationship with God. She responded that that's because I have "Sagitarius" as my rising sign.

LMAO!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit