Baptism and At What Age?

by karnage 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• karnage
    karnage

I have seen and noticed that most people who are raised as JW's get baptized at a young age. Ages like 14-19. How is it that someone can dedicate their life to Jehovah at these ages, when maturity is still in development? This seems to be something that JW's push and practice on a regular basis. You wouldn't let someone get married at those ages, then why would anyone let them get baptized at these ages? No wonder why the disfellowshipping numbers are so high. I'm not bashing anyone who got baptized at a young age, it is just something that boggles my mind.

I stopped studying for baptism at 18 years old. I am glad that I didn't make that step. What age did any of you get baptized and why did you do it?

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I never did, but they started pressuring me at 11 years old, My nephew was baptized at 12, how sad!

I'm so glad I was able to fight them off!

• JH
    JH
    JW's get baptized at a young age. Ages like 14-19.
    I stopped studying for baptism at 18 years old

Since youngsters tend to leave or stop studying around 18 like you, they baptize them a little younger just to catch them in time before they leave.

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

I was baptised at 12. I wasn't forced - I just felt it was expected. I firmly do not believe there was a proper "dedication" prior to the baptism so I consider mine to be Null & Void. Since baptism is only the outward symbol of the private dedication, it is the dedication that is most important IMO. Back when I was 12 there were no prior study questions - you just showed up at the assembly with your bathing suit and answered a couple questions with the group at the baptism talk.

• mama1119
    mama1119

I was baptized at 13, because I thought I had too.

• blondie
    blondie

Within the last 5 years, I have seen two 6-year-olds get baptized in this Midwest. Oy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no written rule as to how young you can be nor how old you are when you are no longer protected by your parents' "holiness." With Armageddon just around the corner for many JWS, or most, haha, they want that guarantee that their child will not die forever at Armageddon.

Six years old....hardly potty trained.

Blondie

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I was baptized at 16. I think that's old enough for some to make a dedication. Its just that everyone, whether baptized at 16 or 45 tends to outgrow this sort of dependence and sees the world different as they mature. It happens faster for some than others. I knew what I was doing. Looking back, I just think it wasn't the best choice.

W.Once

• Justahuman24
    Justahuman24

Well, 6-12 yrs of age, I think it's too young to get baptized. 13-15 yrs of age, it's so-so. Some kids mature faster than others. But I think they allow kids to get baptized so young because they figure they're too young to do anything major, like commit fornication and the like. They figure they worst they can do is be rebellious at home and stuff like that, something that parents can deal with and that could hopefully be solved by punishing them or taking away things they want the most. And also, they figure since they're young, they'll do whatever to please their parents and if they grow up already baptized, then they THINK the chances of them leaving or becoming like "worldly kids" is not that high. Personally, not sure it works all the time.

justahuman - but super nonetheless

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

I was around 16 or 17 I think. I did it because I got tired of everyone asking me WHEN I was going to do it. Then I went to school the next day and kissed a boy and smoked a cigarette. lol!

There was a girl in one congo I attended who got baptized when she was like 6 or 7. She was in one of those ''super family's''...elder dad, super pioneer mom...you know. When I found out, I just thought...poor kid.

~luv, jojo

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I was baptized at 14. I got baptized to try to make my mother happy. I wanted to make God happy, too, but I didn't have the tools to figure out whether or not getting baptized as a JW would accomplish that. If it wasn't something that was expected of me by other people, I would have waited a long time before making a decision to get baptized.

Kids who grow up in JW homes are completely islolated from the outside world, and have no idea how devistating being DF'd can be for them when their entire world is wrapped up in the WT. It's completely unfair to put kids in this position.

I've also seen kids as young as 6 being baptized. One of the last assemblies I went to had interviewed a little 8 year old girl on stage... she had been baptized the day before with her sister, who was 6. Complete insanity.

GGG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit