"My Christian Quest", by Ron Frye -----I just finished reading. GOOD!!!

by garybuss 32 Replies latest jw friends

• garybuss
    garybuss

I just finished reading "My Christian Quest, From Jehovah's Witness to Son of God", by Ron Frye. This is easily one of the best new books I've read in a while. Ron was a pioneer, a special pioneer, and a circuit servant. His story reads like a mystery. I couldn't put it down.

I'd recommend it to anybody ever connected to the Jehovah's Witness movement. Witness history is a part of the story backset and Christian philosophy is an element well discussed, but the heart of the story is a family's struggle to measure up to requirements set out by the Watch Tower Society. The story's setting is well described in the Witness environment and logs the family's successes, and their setbacks.

I appreciated Ron's many insightful descriptions, such as the segment on the two weights, the sin of questioning, and the boundaries of a comfort zone.

The book also includes as an appendix, Ron's thesis titled, The Faithful and Discreet Slave, written in 1981. Ray Franz lists Ron Frye 6 times in his 1991 edition of "In Search of Christian Freedom" that contains a chapter by the same name as the thesis.

This is a historical work by a man that's a legend as a writer, and an inspiration as a friend.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I will put your recommendation on my list, Gary. I am reading IN SEARCH now and Olaf Johnson's GENTILE TIMES REVISITED (I think that's the title), and I do recall some references to Ron.

• frozen one
    frozen one

Hi Gary,

Where is the book sold? I checked Amazon with no results (ditto Barnes and Noble). Is there a website for the book?

• garybuss
    garybuss

Another point I wanted to make was the way Ron described the Jehovah's Witnesses' fundraising and recruiting door to door work as a "confrontational" styled ministry. I thought that described the Jehovah's Witness style as aptly as anything I've ever heard.

Ron's work reminds me so much of Ray Franz's writing in that Ron and Ray both take a reverent approach to that which to me is irreverent in nature.

Ron asked for $10.00 per book including shipping. I thought that was pretty low priced. I sent $25 to Ron for 2 books.

Christian Respondent, Inc.
    42851 260th Lane
    Aitkin, MN 56431

I don't have Ron's permission and he has no knowledge of my review or my posts here. I hope this is okay Ron!

• codeblue
    codeblue

Where can the book be bought?

• codeblue
    codeblue

Thanks Gary!

• garybuss
  • purplesofa
    purplesofa

thanks gary........i want to get a copy for myself.

purps

• Confession
    Confession

Thanks for the recommendation, Gary. I already have my check and accompanying letter sealed, stamped and ready to send in the morning. I recall reading of Ron in Ray Franz's books--and know that he's been somewhat involved with the BRCI group that Tom Cabeen associates with. I look forward to reading it.

• bernadette
    bernadette

thanks Gary - gonna order one for myself

bernadette

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit