I got the phone call. WARNING, DEPRESSING!

by Schism 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings Schism,

Your dad's just using more of the same watchtower scare tactics, guilt and fear-mongering that countless others have attempted to use. Some with success. He sounds infantile, and couldn't be more wrong. He should be ashamed of himself for trying to scare you like that. Stick to your sensibilities. There will be NO BIG A anytime soon. If ever!

Dismembered

• Honesty
    Honesty

I feel for you because I have the same situations with some of my family. It's tough.

His initial arguement on the side of the org was the demon talk. He said that no other religion knows what demons are, so JWs must be right about everything else.

There is a reason the Watchtower Society knows a lot about demons.

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

Gary makes a good point try to bring him into the rational world.

BTW Habe you ever tried inviting dad and mom to your house for an evening of sociaization i.e. dinner or snacks and a game or a movie?

Then when he brings up jw-ism mention there's a time and a place and now it's time for a game of scrable or the movie Dogma with Adam Sandler.

Good Luck

UWUF

• Schism
    Schism

I don't think they know a lot about anything, besides scaring people, lol.

I just don't know how I will handle the followup phone call. I can't argue with him. I'm just not going to say anything.

• becca1
    becca1

I'm so sorry you are going through a difficult time. I agree with the posters that brought out that what your dad is doing is out of love and because he has been deceived. Treat him with love, respect and kindness. Tell him that regardless of the fact that you no longer want to be a JW, you love him and want him in your life. Show him by example that everything is going to be OK. With time he should get used to this and maybe then you can tactfully bring up some of the issues that disturb you about the society.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Throughout this forum, there is a running debate over whether it is better to DA yourself, or simply "fade." There are a number of threads on tthe topic, and after several good points are made in favor of each, the consensus seems to be: Different strokes for different folks.

The same is true of the very fine, but conflicting, advice you've received here. Either Gary is right, and you should view your father as mentally ill and treat him accordingly, which gives you a sense of peace as well as the upper hand. Or, Vinny and Quandry have it right, and you should put forth a great deal of effort to become thoroughly conversant with Witness doctrine so you can lead them through the maze to enlightenment.

I'd say Gary's way is easier. And based your comments here, Schism, my guess is that you'd be way more comfortable taking his advice.

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Did you ask him why he believes Armageddon is about to start? Did he attempt to offer any real proof?

This just shows that what is motivating everyone in the organisation is a morbid FEAR of death at Armageddon, not love. It's no different than the fear of being tortured in a burning hell. Your parent's emotional upset is entirely because of their twisted fear that Jehovah will soon slaughter you for leaving the org.

It's sick.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit