"In lieu of flowers, please donate to the World Wide Work of JW's"

by Wild_Thing 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing
    In lieu of flowers, donations made to the World Wide Work of Jehovah's Witnesses would be appreciated by the family.

Anybody ever seen a witness family do this before? I saw it in an obit in a newspaper online and it made me sick! Most people ask for donations to non-profit organizations that help fight disease like cancer, etc. Seeing that just really bothered me. Does the org encourage them to do this?

• outnfree
    outnfree

Yes, the organization encourages Witnesses to do that. They have a nice little pamphlet that speaks to all the ways you or your estate can give to the organization after you die. Maybe someone has a link to a scan? out

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Yep what Out said.

They very much encourage their members to do things like that.

• chappy
    chappy

I'm a little surprised that they chose to bring up his prior military service.

chappy

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Makes me sick too.

JW's have their own www = World Wide Work. Pathetic.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Ma Chere Bete Sauvage,

At my former congregation, a large and very pricey bouquet was always presented to the bereaved. I certainly hope that they haven't resorted to that shockingly horrid new practice you brought up. Yes, I have seen the IN LIEU OF in some newspapers and on some memorial programs.

On one ocassion a dear and generous sister was in a dither as to where her limited re$ource$ should go. She was going to ask an elder whether she should help a destitute JW family or give it to the WWW. I intervened and said -- I REALLY had to hold it in -- 'Give your money to the poor family -- the Society is doing all right." GRRRRRRR!

CoCo

• Mulan
    Mulan

................so they can pay off the people molested by elders, when they were children. Yes, yes, they need the money. Lawyers are expensive.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Chappy,

My ex-brother-in-law had a notice in his obituary about his miltary service even though he was a JW because, as I understand it, there is some monetary advantage to doing so. It provides some funds for the burial expense to be a veteran.

Outaservice

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher
    Yes, the organization encourages Witnesses to do that. They have a nice little pamphlet that speaks to all the ways you or your estate can give to the organization after you die. Maybe someone has a link to a scan? out

Here's one http://www.reexamine.info/00s/CharitablePlanning.pdf

• Mulan
    Mulan
    My ex-brother-in-law had a notice in his obituary about his miltary service even though he was a JW because, as I understand it, there is some monetary advantage to doing so. It provides some funds for the burial expense to be a veteran.

It would depend on how long he had been in the military. My father was in the Navy for almost 20 years (he left when they became JW's, just short of retirement benefits). The only burial benefits he was allowed, when he die last year, were a plot and gravestone. No funeral or cremation costs were covered.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit