Finally bought Crisis of Conscience today...

by deaconbluez 25 Replies latest jw friends

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez

To be honest, the first chapter is awful, horribly written, and feels almost like the author feels he has to justify himself with the book.

Now, that being said, the chapters on Legalism and Double Standards, 1975, "This generation", and so forth are brilliant, powerful, and should be read by every one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Just my thoughts.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

It's been awhile since I read it, but I remember thinking the same thing. Skipping the first chapter wouldn't be a bad idea for a first run through. Well worth it though, it's an eye-opener, even if your eyes are already open!

Dave

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez

Ok. Glad it wasn't just me, then.

I think one of the best points I've come across in the book so far is how he talks about members of the Governing Body that were unsure about 1914, proposed a change in the organization's thinking on the matter, but were denied, and THEN expecting every other member of the organization on down to the common publisher to embrace, put faith in, and tell others about the 1914 teaching. How screwed up is that? The very men that were perpetuating the teaching didn't fully believe in it!!!

And what the author says about being "victims of victims" is very powerful and true. Look forward to reading the rest of it.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I read Crisis of Conscience in 1992 and I read a fresh copy of the second edition. I absolutely couldn't put it down. All the questions I had about Jehovah's Witnesses were answered. All of those questions were questions I asked Jehovah's Witness people and they refused to answer.

• juni
    juni

What amazed me about his writing was that he wasn't being hateful or encouraging retaliation. He presented what happened - the facts.

Being in the organization for 21 years, it was good to hear what went on behind the scenes as all we would ever hear was the "spin" about the evil apostate Ray Franz.

Glad to hear you have the book. You might also want to read "In Search of Christian Freedom" by R. Franz.

Juni

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez
    Glad to hear you have the book. You might also want to read "In Search of Christian Freedom" by R. Franz.

Is that a newer writing?

• juni
    juni

Let me go take a look at my copy. Be right back....1991 (first printing) 1999 (second) 2002 (third)

Commentary Press is the publisher. Same as Crisis of Conscience.

Juni

• Gerard
    Gerard
    To be honest, the first chapter is awful, horribly written, and feels almost like the author feels he has to justify himself with the book.

Sure, read the title. But you can disregard his writting style and feelings if you want,: the information within is powerful and liberating. Be patient, you'll have a rollercoaster ride while processing the information.

All the best,

G

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Congrats on the purchase. I'm sure you won't regret it. I agree with you about the first chapter though. I think you need to consider the emotional state that Mr. Franz must have been in at the time. I mean he lived his entire adult life serving this organization and then was tossed aside like a piece of trash. Plus we both know that making the disconnections from the crap the watchtower teaches takes a bit of time.

Once you get out of the first chapter, though, he makes a very strong case for how arrogant and out of control the govering body was at that time. From the mind control evident in their recent publications and articles, it seems they haven't made in progress in that arena since he left either.

• yesidid
    yesidid
    he talks about members of the Governing Body that were unsure about 1914, proposed a change in the organization's thinking on the matter, but were denied, and THEN expecting every other member of the organization on down to the common publisher to embrace, put faith in, and tell others about the 1914 teaching. How screwed up is that? The very men that were perpetuating the teaching didn't fully believe in it!!!

Yes Deaconbluez, that's hypocrticical, and it gets worse.

They will even disfellowship those who don't agree with the 1914 teaching:

*** w86 4/1 pp. 30-31 Questions From Readers ***

Questions From Readers

? Why have Jehovah’s Witnesses disfellowshipped (excommunicated) for apostasy some who still profess belief in God, the Bible, and Jesus Christ?

Those who voice such an objection point out that many religious organizations claiming to be Christian allow dissident views. Even some clergymen disagree with basic teachings of their church, yet they remain in good standing. In nearly all the denominations of Christendom, there are modernists and fundamentalists who greatly disagree with one another as to the inspiration of the Scriptures.

However, such examples provide no grounds for our doing the same..........................

Approved association with Jehovah’s Witnesses requires accepting the entire range of the true teachings of the Bible, including those Scriptural beliefs that are unique to Jehovah’s Witnesses. What do such beliefs include?

That the great issue before humankind is the rightfulness of Jehovah’s sovereignty, which is why he has allowed wickedness so long. (Ezekiel 25:17) That Jesus Christ had a prehuman existence and is subordinate to his heavenly Father. (John 14:28) That there is a "faithful and discreet slave" upon earth today ‘entrusted with all of Jesus’ earthly interests,’ which slave is associated with the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses. (Matthew 24:45-47) That 1914 marked the end of the Gentile Times and the establishment of the Kingdom of God in the heavens, as well as the time for Christ’s foretold presence. (Luke 21:7-24; Revelation 11:15–12:10)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit