The Sorrow and the Pity of the Watchtower: denial of DUE PROCESS

by Terry 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry
    due process

noun

The state, action, or principle of treating all persons equally in accordance with the law

Fairness is something familiar to even the smallest child. Being treated without bias is a hunger humanity has fought for in every society; some less successfully than in present day.

In America we are guaranteed fairness when dealing with the state or federal government due to the imbalance of relative power between the individual and the state. No accused person, for instance, is required to stand before a magistrate without being represented by an attorney. If that attorney cannot be afforded; one is appointed.

The Watchtower Society is a monolithic power invested by its own self with power of attorney, so to speak, in representing the Supreme Being in his dealings with mankind. The Watchtower represents itself as the "mouthpiece of god". It speaks FOR Jehovah.

But, does it treat the persons it deals with fairly and with due process?

For instance; if any person feels they have been dealt with unfairly is there a way to speak up and voice their personal grievance without being censored or reproved?

If somebody has cause to suspect the leadership locally or at a higher level is misrepresenting the will of God in word, deed or doctrine is there a process by which Loyal Opposition can be mounted without reprisal?

No and No.

The Watchtower Society is insular. It is self-protected from criticism and appeal publicly. This is made repeatedly clear in its articles which seek to defame, demonize and ostracize any voice which may differ with its policies.

There is no means by which the critic, however well-intentioned or with cause, may speak out and hold to account the administrators as caretakers of Jehovah's mission.

Let us ask ourselves why this is so and whether it is at odds with how Jehovah has dealt with humanity in the past.

In the Old Testament we see instances of men arguing with God and pleading their case for hearing and reconsideration. (Moses pleading for the idolators at Mt.Sinai, Lot pleading for the lives of the citizens of Sodom and Gomorrah, etc.)

We also recall the role of such men as were called Prophets who criticized the duly anointed Kings of Israel and the nation as a whole.

Individuals such as Job argued with God and complained bitterly of treatment the felt was unjust and unfair.

Jesus, who represented his Father, argued with the highest officials of his religion and often bested them in the process.

Paul argued with religious the caretakers of christianity in Jerusalem such as Peter and James over differences of opinion on doctrine and pure worship.

So, why is today any different?

Why is the voice of the Loyal Opposition silenced? Why is there no accounting by high officials for policies, doctrines and printed statements which are demonstrably false?

Could it be the labeling of critics as "evil slaves" and "apostates" is mere despotism? Is the denial of Due Process a symptom of a haughty spirit that cannot bear scrutiny?

It is the sorrow and the pity of present day Jehovah's Witnesses and the Watchtower Society that there is an iron curtain of censorship in place to prevent the airing of differences.

There is no process, no mechanism in place in which matters of doctrine or policy can be publicly debated as was clearly the case in Biblical times. Is that no evidence enough that the men in Brooklyn who run the corporation are in clear defiance of justice and fairness on purpose?

The denial of due process is a symptom of an evil laying waste to freedom of religion; the freedom of choice that informs and enlightens worshippers who possess free will.

If you are denied the right to make choices you are not a free person. The right to disagree is the right possessed by thinking people who are rational and demand more than authority and the brusque, cold hand of the censor clamped over their mouth when they need to speak.

Brothers are not allowed to wear facial hair and become an elder. Families are denied the right to make medical decision vitally affecting their children's lives. Voting to better local government is denied infringing on federal laws. Sexual malfeasance by members of the congregation is kept under wraps. The list is endless. Voices are silenced when they address these and many other wrongs.

The Watchtower Policy of labeling contrary views within their own ranks as heresy, apostate evil and the symptom of spiritual illness is a sick policy that needs changing.

Who has the fortitude to bring about this change? How might it be carried out with a peaceable spirit of benevolence and fairness?

• sspo
    sspo

All good points Terry.

I wish I had the answer and the power to do something about it.

Galileo also reminded the Catholic church that the earth was not the center of the universe and we know what happened to him.

What do they say "Power currupts and ultimate power...............

• Honesty
    Honesty

The Watchtower Policy of labeling contrary views within their own ranks as heresy, apostate evil and the symptom of spiritual illness is a sick policy that needs changing.

Who has the fortitude to bring about this change?

How might it be carried out with a peaceable spirit of benevolence and fairness? Terry

This particular Watchtower policy will never change.

The best action for JW's who wake up to the undeniable facts about the cult is to... EJECT IMMEDIATELY before the plane goes down in a ball of fire.

• cultswatter
    cultswatter

They don't allow elders with facial hair but Jesus wore a beard. How hypocritical!

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

Good analysis T.

I suppose the WT behaves like this to get exactly what it wants and thats total power and control. Aswell any 'murmurings' can be dealt with a lot easier if you are solo in your arguments/grievances with the WT.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

When I was in the organization, I remember being taught that this world is beyond salvation because the foundation is bad. Since the governing body are the foundation of the organization and since they are corrupt in at least their perversion of due process and justice, then according to their own teaching, the whole thing is corrupt and beyond salvation.

In reality, thoug, the organization probably could be reformed, but then it would no longer resemble what it does today. It would be an open body where people could decide for themselves if they wanted to be a part of it without fear of emotional repercussions from those in charge. Those in charge would have to give an accounting to those they govern, rather than jsut the other way around. Yeah, it could be fixed, but would it be worth it?

• Terry
    Terry

In reality, thoug, the organization probably could be reformed, but then it would no longer resemble what it does today. It would be an open body where people could decide for themselves if they wanted to be a part of it without fear of emotional repercussions from those in charge. Those in charge would have to give an accounting to those they govern, rather than jsut the other way around. Yeah, it could be fixed, but would it be worth it?

Anybody who has delved into the evolution of the Mormons knows they have come a loooooong looooong way from how they started. They even managed to clear the hurdle from cult to mainstream religion and that is no mean feat!

They have a functioning church with lots of social benefits for members. Jehovah's Witnesses have no social benefits whatsoever, no charity, no outreach of any kind.

This could be done. But, it would start with giving a hearing ear to the faithful inside who are galled by what has happened in recent years.

Instead, they draw a line in the sand and declare the slightest critic as a foe. Tsk tsk tsk.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings Terry,

In going over your presentation, I remembered something that I had written down long ago, directly from the PC screen. When new to the process of discovery, I was so intent on gathering revelatory fact, that I frequently failed to copy down the source. I do regret that failure on my part. The text and source are surely easy enough to locate for one not so cyber-challenged as I.

"Millenarian belief systems pose difficulties for modern families"

"The Watchtower regime cannot tolerate mavericks as there is no mechanism for taking into account personal motives for action. Members must balance obligations toward their loved ones and their sense of religious duty. People who cross ascetic boundaries are symbolically matter out of place and provoke disapproval. They are people emanating danger as they pass from one state to another."

and,

"Often false prophets, when caught, try to shift the emphasis by falling back on their humanity. They would like everyone to forget the original facade and arrogance as they pretended to be the pipeline to the Holy Spirit." - Kurt Goedelman

I find that divorce from the WTBTS and henceforth gathering with two or three in Christ's name, is spiritually satisfying; i.e., it works for me. Due process simply is not a part of the operational mechanism of the WTS.

I really enjoy your format and the development of your ideas, Terry - not at all hard to follow.

CoCo

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

The society that we live in has developed a judicial system through the milenia that started with the law code of hamurabi and evolved into what we see today. It consists of a system wherein fairness is established by trying to understand motives, personality, background of the person, state of mind, influences etc. This is done with a menagerie of phychiatrists, physchologists, professionals, witnesses to the events, jurors lawyers for the crown and prosecution a court recorder and a judge. These courts deal with crime not sin. Even with all that in place sometimes judgements are unfair. The watchtower calls themselves the society! Not only is there no due process there is none of the above. They sit in judgement as magistrates upon sin and hand out the harshest sentences that are usually always the same. Your'e Gone! They wait for a sign of repentance but they themselves are sinners. The only one in the the bible that had the authority to sit in judgement of sin and forgive sin was christ. Further christ never shunned anyone and could read the heart. These elders are the most warped arrogant unjust hippocrates the modern society has ever produced. These kangaroo courts all started with Judge Rutherford who was a lawyer himself!. Now the watchtower is full of lawyers who certainly know better how to establish truth in a legal way. They choose not too. Judge not, lest you be judged christ said. They are the most offensive, disgusting warped micarriage of spirituality, justice, mercy, love, fairness and truth I have ever encountered. There purpose is not justice. It is to silence people, and get drunk off their power to destroy lives. A person would probably get more justice in Iraq or a communist country that doesn't even know what freedom is. I can't beleive people would let themselves be subjected to these silly uneducated fuck wit bullies.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Another brilliant post Terry.

Can somebody find the quote from C T Russell where he said that his views were not necessarily binding and that members could disagree, and contribute to the debate?

We only said at home recently that if C T R were here today, we wondered what he would make of it all

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit