Jury Duty

by sonnyboy 11 Replies latest jw friends

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

What is the WBTS policy on jury duty? Are they allowed to participate?

I've been called to go on January 2nd, to be active throughout the entire month of January, but I can't afford to be off work for only $15 a day.

If I claim to still be a JW, would I be able to get out of it due to freedom of religion?

I'm either going to try that or claim to have Tourette's during juror selection and scream out obscenities.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

not sure if it is the "latest" position but the position used to be that jury duty is ok itself but if the case involved capital punishment and the jury would be expected to impose a sentence that possibly included death, that would be something that a Christian would have to make a "matter of conscience" (aka Society: "we'd really like to say don't do it but won't go so far, you get what we mean").

Interestingly, when the Alternative Military Service info came out mid-90s that emphasized doing our civic duty, I pointed out at the WT Study that the info applied to Jury Duty as the form of "compulsory civil service" that exists in the U.S. That went over like a lead balloon.

Anyway, just wondering, many areas have the "call in" system which allows you to keep working at your regular job. Also, you might not be able to get out of the 10 days or whatever is mandatory but avoiding getting seated on a jury is extremely easy. A person has to be a complete moron not to be able to get out of actually being seated during the Voir Dire process. All you have to do is make some sort of comments about your beliefs or position on the issues of the case that lean strongly one way or the other and you will get dismissed.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

My mom is a pretty good JW and served on a grand jury. I don't think she would have served on a Jury that would actually have had to make a decision about convicting anyone. We discussed it and she said because it was a grand jury (all they do is indict) that she wasn't convicted that she should not do it.OTOH, she had a blast, learned a lot and it gave her all kinds of ammo in the "the world is so awful" arguement. A current JW will give better advice, but I think JW'ism could do it.

I also think it is lying and dishonest and not good citizenship. And when I am perfectly a good citizen, I will surely judge you about it. You gotta do what you must. When I was called when my daughter was nursing, I got out of it. Hated to, but had to. ONce, I was in a room for a couple of hours and they picked the Jury before it even got near me. Disappointed. Perhaps you could change your work schedule or your boss will pay you the diff? some do.

Shelly

• BrentR
    BrentR

My mom got out of it twice by stating that she could not pass judgement onto others in accordance to her religious beliefs. I got a good laugh over that one, my mom is the most judgemental JW you would ever come across. So she pretty much lied to the judge. She got pissd when I asked her how long she has been practicing situational honesty?

They really hate it when you point out thier flaws.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Me too.

I have to call on the 27th to see if I have to report on the 28th ...yuck..I'm gonna be sooooooo tired.....

I may just get a doctors note. I'm permanently disabled and usually am way too tired to go but every year they send me a jury summons and every year I have to bother my doctor to write a note. Once I didn't bother to do either and the DA called me, I guess I was supposed to be there. He was cool about it.

Have fun!

• james_woods
    james_woods

I don't know about other companies policy (except mine), but I think a lot of companies are supposed to give you the equivalent of a "paid sick day" for jury duty. This may even be a legal issue with Dept. of Labor in some states.

I agree on the "good citizenship" aspect of this. Again it is a really stupid judgemental view on the part of the WTS leadership on things that are not even mentioned in the bible.

It is nobody's business except your own.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I just got a summons myself. :( And they want me to come when I have a trip already scheduled....so I'm going to ask for a postponement.

• Jourles
    Jourles

My jw wife served as a juror on a rape case about a year or two ago. It didn't seem to affect her conscience at all.

But if you want to get out, try giving extreme answers during the questioning phase. If they ask you if you're for the death penalty, say yes - "And kick 'em in the nuts right before you hang 'em!"

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Well, like I told my husband a few years back..... Ask this question........

Was the criminal Black or White?...lol. It's a racial statement I know - not to mean anyone harm, so please don't take offense to my sick humor!

~Brooke

• BrentR
    BrentR

I was dismissed as a perspective juror by going in with a very pissy sour attitude. A friend of mine has been a paralegal for over twenty years so she gave me few points on how to get out. I am self employed so I would have lost money if I was picked to sit on a trial. A pissy attitude makes you undesirable to both sides, you could cause alot of problems.

I now have a serious enough of a back injury that I could not do it even if I wanted to. One short two sentence note from the doc is all it takes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit