Here's my story (I'm new here)....

by crownboy 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• crownboy
    crownboy

I am a 4th generation Witness (on both sides of the family) and indeed my entire family (save for the few who "fall away" in every family) are Jehovah's Witnesses. My dad is an Elder, my mom a regular pioneer and my two elder sisters the same. My younger sister is 17 and still unbaptized, so therefore she is sort of a "black sheep" in our family and "spiritually weak" for not having already "taken the dip in the pool" (however, due to her overall open-minded nature, I am perhaps closest to her). I was baptized at the age of 12, and the "spiritual" expectations for me have always been considerably high: I had to be an elder like my father. I was always a very "theocratic" child, I never associated with the bad elements at the Kingdom Hall (though paradoxically I always had a stable of "worldly" friends, people I felt extremely comfortable around, probably because their friendships are based on mutual appreciation for each other as opposed to loyalty to a religion), I was a regular publisher logging in above the national average in hours (because we all know God hates token service) passing around the microphone at meetings, giving sagacious talks, being part of the in crowd of good kids, and having the undying admiration of the adult witnesses as no doubt I was a shining example of what a young witness should be. I even had a part on a demonstration on a circuit assembly and my father and I had a part on a district convention drama. However, most importantly to me I truly wanted to do what I thought Jehovah wanted me to do. I wasn't one of those kids who only went because the parents forced you to, I truly enjoyed going to meeting, and yes, I actually paid attention (at least most of the time). Today my parents often point to the "zeal" I had when I was younger (I'm the ripe old age of 19), and they often comment about how much more mature I was back then than I was now (like at 12 years old I truly understand the gravity of my belief system). Indeed I went from being a sure fire future elder to now being an irregular publisher. But what could have lead me to my present path?

I guess my major "problem" has always been my inquisitive mind. I am very skeptical by nature and I always need to see at least reasonable evidence of an argument¡¯s plausibility for me to truly accept it as fact. The main reason why in my early life I believed so greatly in The Society was because I never ask questions about it. It never even occurred to me that there was something terribly wrong with my perfect universe. I am an exceptionally bright person (from grade 1-8 I always had the highest average of any child in my class for every single term and the only reason I wasn't valedictorian of my junior high school was because I only attended that particular school for a year. I graduated 11th in a class of 401 from my high school and am now attending a top New York college) but I was ignorant to any errors in my religion. It's hard for me to pin point exactly when I started to "drift away from the truth" but it definitely started in high school.

Despite my dad being an elder and my mom a pioneer, my parents were always very liberal by Witness standards. As I mentioned earlier, I've always had worldly friends, but my parents have never objected to any of them as long as they weren't flat out dirty mouth atheist or anything. I guess they realized how stupid it is to assume all non-Witnesses are the Devil incarnate. My parents also have never opposed higher education. I cannot possibly think of a time in my life when I didn't see college in my plans, and I would always shake my head with silent consternation every time I heard other Witnesses disparage people who went to college. In fact, my dad is college educated and holds a bachelors degree in science (with several other post graduate certificates). Even my pioneer sisters hold associate degrees. So education and thinking was never something my parents found objectionable, I can even remember once watching a science program talking about evolution, and my dad didn't turn it away but watched it! I am certain this is the exception rather than the rule in most Witness homes. Eventually my questioning spirit lead me to think about my religion more lucidly, and once I did, the results changed my whole perception of life.

To say I never questioned my religion at all is probably not true. I always found it profoundly disturbing that God would kill over 99% of the earth simply because they did not worship him in a particular manner. I could never imagine many of my worldly friends, many of them more God fearing than certain Witnesses, dying at Armageddon because they went to a church instead of a Kingdom Hall. I knew for a fact good people went to church, and so what if they believed that they would go to heaven instead of a paradise earth, so what if they believed that the wicked would die in a firery hell instead of endure eternal soul sleep? Didn't their pious actions and overall life course merit reward by the all-loving Creator? If God has only had one unbroken chain of communication through the ages why was the Watchtower Society only founded in 1879 and not 36? After the apostle John died, who "spiritually feed" God's true congregation until C.T. Russell became God's anointed? Why aren't we allowed to read the polemical literature of "apostates"? If their words are so spurious, why should we be afraid, why didn't the society quote their lies directly in the publications and refute them so that all the nations could see the we were truly God's people? What possible reason could a Governing Body member have for leaving God's organization? Ray Franz was virtually at God's right hand and then left (my aunt knew him personally and she said she was extremely surprised at how someone like that could "turn away from Jehovah"), why would he do so for such an arbitrary reason as pride?

The older I got the more these and other questions began nawing in my mind. Something had to be done. I decided I would read the apostate literature to put my mind at ease. It seemed to be the most logical solution. My skeptical nature would not allow me to accept drivel if that was indeed all there was to it, and if indeed all that apostates published were lies then such an exercise would do wonders to assuage my mind of all the doubts I had about the organization. Of course once I read the literature all the faith I had in the organization crumbled quite precipitously. The books made all the points I had and more and gave Bible evidence that the society was wrong. I found Ray Franz's books and Jim Penton's history of Jehovah's Witnesses the most helpful (I am fortunate enough to live in New York where their are massive libraries where I could have borrowed books and done research without being caught. I was able to find a library that had old Watchtower volumes and literature that allowed me to cross reference the books I read just so I could be absolutely sure). It made such perfect sense that I couldn¡¯t believe I didn't see many of the things mentioned, and I was quite shocked at the pass errors and myths that had been promulgated as truth, but had been discarded before I was born and never mentioned. Oddly, I wasn't totally crushed, I had always thought of my relationship with God in terms of me and Him and not necessarily involving the organization for validation despite its important role. Though I had decided I wouldn't formally leave the organization, lest I incur the wrath of all but 4 members of my family, I started becoming more detached, less involved in it. I am more openly critical of the organization, and during family studies I flat out raise objections to points I disagree with. Such an attitude will test even the most liberal of Witness parents. My parents are still trying to draw me back "into the fold", thinking I'm just going through an adolescent phase of rebellion (I'm seeing a non Witness girl, which especially worries them because I guess they automatically assume we're having some illicit affair even though it's extremely tame and Christian), they try to guilt me into feeling I have failed Jehovah, them and the whole congregation. They tell me I'm still a good kid and that if I come back into Jehovah's fold now he'll still forgive me. As a child who has always tried to please his parents, such treatment by my parents is hard to bear (though thankfully overall they're still the loving people they've always been) but I know I must move on. My little sister is now getting "serious about the truth" and will be baptized at the next assembly, and even she is telling me I need to get "spiritual again". The truth is I don't know how I stand spiritually right now. After my research I resolved that I would read the entire bible to have a true understanding of God, but when I read it even more questions arouse in me, this time about the Bible itself! God of the Old Testament seemed to be so mean in contrast with the God of the Gospels. Isn't God unchanging? Did a flood circa 4500 years ago destroy the world? If Jesus performed miracles how come only his apostles were the ones who wrote about it? How much did Jesus really care about humans if as a reward he got to rule the earth for 1000 years? Wasn't he in it just for the pay off? Is the world's end going to be signified by peace or war? Apparently both. Why did God condone slavery? The antebellum colonialist weren't totally unjustified in quoting the bible to demand submission from their slaves. Myself being a black man, would that mean I would have to be submissive to a despotic master under penalty of divine judgment? Right now I'm still officially a Christian, but feeling through the questions. I definitely believe in a Creator, and hopefully He will guide me through his time. I may not have all the right answers to life's questions, but at least I no longer live by wrong answers.

Any comments?

• Introspection
    Introspection

Hi Crown, welcome. My only comment to you would be why not look into other religions outside of the judeo-christian tradition?

• mymailmum
    mymailmum

I feel so sad for you...you have given so much of your life to Jehovah and then you gave up when under test.

Jehovah does not forget what you did for his name. But girl, you failed a test that all of Jehovah's Witnesses have to go thru. WE DO NOT SERVE AND WORSHIP PEOPLE, ESPECIALLY IMPERFECT PEOPLE!

You were tested like Job but you forgot to turn to Jehovah in pray to help you during the hardest test we all go thru. He would have guided you on what to do... then you would know for sure that He is real.

Are you with your new church people praising Jehovah and teaching people about the only hope of the Kingdom? You know you
    are not...but you know deep down that is what we are to do.

Jehovah has a perfect track record, EVERYTHING he says is going to happen...

Jesus said these apostates would come. They have all decided to jump off the bridge and you have followed. Just like Judas Escariot.

If I would have stayed in the Kingdom Hall just because of the people, imperfect people just like me, believe me I would have left a long time ago. I love Jehovah and if he allows certain things to continue for a time, then that is His decision.

Satan is the one testing all of Jehovah's people...he wants company.
    And all those aposates that have failed their test of faith in Jehovah want company too. And they cry about it all over the internet.

Why are they not coming to my door if they are so loving and they know what is going to happen in the future?

I cannot begin to tell you all the stuff I have personally gone thru over the years but I can tell you, I have seen ALOT. And each time I have had to make personal adjustments and sometimes even changed congregations where there were even apostates within, girl we are close to the end and you HAVE TO have a close relationship with Jehovah to get thru this. It is the only way...Please find a Hall that you feel comfortable and loved in...I know it is there for you... for sure...I trust in Jehovah! NOT imperfect MAN!

• think41self
    think41self

Hi Crownboy,

Welcome to this board

You gave me so much history about yourself, I don't know where to start! I too was raised a JW, but unfortunately not by a liberal minded family like you. I too had doubts growing up, but just stifled them. At this point in my life, I DON'T know all the answers. Really, no one does. We can have hope and faith...but the reality of it is that the only hope we have is THAT THERE IS A HOPE!

But that's cool, I can live with that. And the main thing I am enjoying is the freedom to think for myself, explore other teachings, weigh them and decide for myself if they have any validity. You will find some fascinating discussions on this board and others pertaining to spiritual paths. Only now you have the freedom to fully express what you REALLY think, so enjoy it!!

P.S. Crownboy, This person who posted a response to you, Mymailmum, is spamming all the new posters here with the same exact response. I would doubt very seriously that they even took the time to read your post...they certainly did not respond to you directly. Just thought you'd like to know that.

think41self

"Not believing is not the same as not knowing."

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

mymailmum is at it again....

Crownboy -

I always found it profoundly disturbing that God would kill over 99% of the earth simply because they did not worship him in a particular manner. I could never imagine many of my worldly friends, many of them more God fearing than certain Witnesses, dying at Armageddon because they went to a church instead of a Kingdom Hall.

Absolutely spot on there - couldnt agree with you more - I heard a comment once in the KHall that even the worst JW in the world is better than the best wordly person.... that really made me very cross. There are so many people in the world that are truly good and love God and Jesus deeply. I have also met JWs who I know to be masquerading as good members of the congregation when in truth I know that they have very large skeletons in their cupboards. I firmly believe that God looks into the hearts of people, He examines their heart condition - he examines their motives. What motives do the JWs have in serving God? They see a reward at the end of it all, they see their prize - they always say dont they - 'keep your eye on the prize'. What is the motive of a true Christian? Certainly not a reward but a eagerness to please God, to praise and worship Him and give thanks for all His blessings. It all boils down to motive and heart condition.

You say that you have an inquisitive mind - that is good - feed it! There is nothing to stop you now from researching anything you find interesting, enjoy the freedom! And welcome to the board!

• Introspection
    Introspection

When I see evidence that Mymailmum is a real person (well, living human organism atleast) rather than a spam-bot I will have a dialogue. Well, maybe.

Might as well face it you're addicted to dubs...

• Introspection
    Introspection

Mymailmum:

I feel so sad for you...you have given so much of your life to Jehovah and then you lose your mind under test.

Jehovah does not forget what you did for his name. But boy, you failed a test that everyone posting online have to go thru. WE DO NOT LISTEN SPAMMING PEOPLE, ESPECIALLY PEOPLE WHO CAN'T EVEN ADDRESS SPECIFIC INDIVIDUALS!

• sweetone2377
    sweetone2377

I admire your courage. I did not completely seperate myself from the religion untill I was 300 miles away from my mother (who now is told she will be DF is she is seen speaking to me). I have to admit I haven't started to really think about my choices untill recently. I just saw the unjust treatment and wanted away. I then tried to make my past disappear. But that hasn't helped. You are very courageous to seek truth when so many of your family and those around you still "go with the flow". I truely hope you enjoy being here. I am also new and it has already been a wonderful experience for me. And I look forward to seeing more posts from you.

mymailmum.....didn't I just read that a few minutes ago as a reply to another new poster??? That must be what your elder told you to write....oh no wait....if he knew you were visiting sites of mostly ex-JW's he would be mad because then you wouldn't be putting your trust soley in Jehovah, now would ya?

SweetOne, who is starting to see how disgusting mymailmum is and having to agree with the rest of you about this person.

• Kophagangelos
    Kophagangelos

HI Crownboy, your story is very good! I felt with you! I am JW still! I am very Suspiciously always and now more than before! May Jehovah bless you!

• yrs2long
    yrs2long

Crownboy,

i really feel for you. I am inactive and it is much easier this way -o d r i f t away. It's funny, although I consider myself a fairly intelligent person, I never really questioned the teachings. It was the people who drove me out. If as mymailmum insists, Satan is testing people such as us, how does he get so many JW's in the congregation to cooperate? Are they his agents or something? I moved from congregation to congregation looking for the acceptance and love I felt I should get from Jehovah's people until there was only one other place to move - out. No one wants to associate with a separated, then unscripturally divorced sister. Furhtermore, i get queasy everytime I hear a witness say the end is near, so hang in there. how meaningful is an illusory new system to your present misery? and let the elders tell it, my abusive ex will be there too, so why would i want to be? mailmum, dont try to scare people straight with talks of "the end" We got those armageddon questions right too when we qualified for baptism. deal with the real issues and recognize that many of us here could probably quote you under the bed. and please, stop mixing up loyalty to jehovah with loyalty to a corporation.

Crownboy - you are well ahead of most - keep researching the truth and lie low until you really know what you want to do. my opinion as a new person not quite out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit