Did anyone ever rebel to play school sports

by Billzfan23 26 Replies latest jw friends

• gymbob
    gymbob

When my daughter started high school she really wanted to play volleyball, and being good dubs at the time, my wife and I had alot of thinking to do about it....mainly because I worked at the high school my kids attended and worked with most of the coaches and teams after work keeping the scorebook, operating the scoreboard, announcing, etc. (That's why the kids call me Gymbob!).

We agreed to let her play as long as she didn't miss any meetings. To make a long story short, she played basketball and volleyball all 4 years of high school and I went to every game. My wife never went to any of the games due to the comments from people in our cong.

We missed lots of meetings and it was one of the best things I ever did as a father. It was one of the things that made me begin to question the borg.

It became a big deal in our area, the CO gave a special talk at the circus assembly about how bad school sports are, then did it again when he visited our cong.

My daughter and I are happily both out of that crazy cult, due, in part, to the stupid way the society regards school sports!

p.s. My daughter's mom is still a dub, but she bailed out of a 23 year marraige after we learned the truth about "The Truth"!

• read good books
    read good books

Can anyone tell me where the scripture is that says 'thou shalt not play ball games'. What a crappy rule from a crappy organization. It wrecked my high school experience. No sometimes I dream of what my life would have been like if I had rebelled I was a good athelete..

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Not me but my son and I coached him in baseball. Won a state championship and were runner's up twice. Now he's the captain of his hockey and baseball team - but we no longer go to meetings/

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

Yep - a lot of the time our netball team had practice on a Thursday night -*real shame that was!* FF

• Mulan
    Mulan

Our second son is a terrific athlete. When he was in high school, he was 6'4" and wanted to play sports so badly that he did it anyway. When he was a senior, he was 18 so just signed up for football. We were upset, but went to every football game he played in. We have great pictures too. It was 1983.

Now he coaches his own son's softball team, and played on one himself for years. I still get a bit heartsick when I think of how badly he wanted to be in little league. He would go to the neighborhood elementary school on weekends and watch the kids playing. One of the coaches let him play soccer, and he called us begging us to let Steve play for their team, and said he was the best goalie he had ever coached. Poor kid.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Come to think of it, at a circuit assembly I attended last year, a teenage girl was up on stage talking about her 'experience'...the part that caught my ear was how she said she was "pressured" to join the volleyball team but shunned it because it would take away time from her service time or something. I was like...

• karnage
    karnage

I played basketball, football, and ran track. My dad was on the verge of being df'd, so I asked him instead of my mother when it came time to signing the permission forms. When I was a senior in high school and I was playing football, I was studying to be baptized at the time. I caught hell at every study for my being on the team. 1 Cor. 15:33 was the theme scripture every waking moment of the study. Eventually, I gave up the quest for being baptized and continued on playing sports in my final year of high school.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit