Did anyone ever rebel to play school sports

by Billzfan23 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Billzfan23
    Billzfan23

How many of you who grew up in the truth truly loved a sport and fought hard against your JW parents to get to play it? Post your experience here. My determination to play come hell or high water led to my mother turning me over to the state as a youngster, which then lead to foster care and freedom until I foolishly came back to the borg as an adult. What's your story and experience with this?

• james_woods
    james_woods

My ex-wife's younger brother Rick was a high school football star. His coach really thought that he was capable of winning a college sports scholarship.

Well, guess what happened? The elders had a little talk with his mom and dad, so that was the end of that.

Rick has told me many times that he still kicks himself for not just telling them all to go take a hike. He says that even if he could not have done as well in college as he did in high school - (and maybe never make it to the pros, like his dream)...he still wishes he had just been given the chance to try.

I totally sympathize because I got forced into refusing a scholastic scholarship to Rice University as well.

James

• Billzfan23
    Billzfan23

Wow James... That is really sad. There is no feeling in the world quite like knowing that you were duped into making a bad decision, honoring that decision out of a good conscience at the time, and then regretting it when the truth is revealed to them later in life. I am not doing that to my kids - if an opportunity is there, I am going to encourage them to take it - despite my wife putting her fanatical 2 cents in.

• mama1119
    mama1119

No, but I have a story. In this area, we have a GIGANTIC 3 on 3 basketball turnament every year. Well, my Dad loves sports. Every house we lived in had a full basketball court on it for him. He loved playing in this turnament with his buddies. One year, out of no where, the elders found out he was paracticing with his team. They, for some reason, decided it was a no-no, just for him. They continued to harrass and threaten him if he went thru and palyed at the game he was to be removed as a MS.... he finally gave in and didn;t play. Well, as soon as the elder, who instigated the entire thing, had his son in High School, suddenly it was fine to play basketball. He played on the team all through High School. This was the same elder who made sure his daughters, who were definite sleeper-arounders, were not punished, or just privatedly reproved multiple times, while he would sock it to any other "sinners" in the cong. Now Im just rambling

• Backed away
    Backed away

I love Basketball and after repeated pleadings to my parents was allowed to play in middle school and Freshman and JV in high school because the games were during the day and weekdays. my Sophmore year I was given a opportunity to jump to Varsity.

Once my parents found out I was forced to quit because of the night games and occasional Saturdays. I was devastated and to this day friends from school still bring it up. it still hurts..

• zagor
    zagor

I was lucky, my dad wasn't a dub so I didn't have to, I played soccar, basketball and tennis. In my early teens I even did gymnastics and was a very fast runner, in fact so fast that everyone told me I should train further and try making it big. Heck, I even had steady hand at using sport rifle. But then shit hit the fan, and despite all my father's wishes I screwed my life by listening to "soft-spoken" dubiousores.

• Soledad
    Soledad

From the time I was 11 I loved playing on the lunchtime basketball tournaments. Our team won all 5 tournaments that season and we were given little medals and a small ceremony by the principal and the works. It felt really nice and while I didn't score a lot of points I was great at defense, even my teacher acknowleged that in front of the school (and he was a college star). But the whole time I was involved my mother derided me every single day. I would get snide comments like "that's all you think about, where is Jehovah in your life?" or "don't think for a second that this will lead to anything important, the end is so close, you'll be caught sleeping because of your silly games." She never once went to one of my games and she didn't go the ceremony. In the 9th grade I played softball. I didn't give a crap what anyone thought. I played right field and was great at it. My father did see those games, he thought I was awesome. A small injury prevented me from playing the following year.

• M.J.
    M.J.

An acquaintence told me she studied with JWs for around 2-3 years and was totally into it, going door-to-door, etc. while gearing up for baptism. Problem was, at the time, she was some kind of P.E. major in college, and being on the school's volleyball team fulfilled some of her major's requirements. Well, long story short she was blocked by the elders from becoming baptized (and her "ticket to eternal life") due to her involvement in "worldy pursuits"...the volleyball team!

This was such an eye-opener for her that it brought her back to her senses regarding that organization and quit the JWs altogether.

• ocsrf
    ocsrf

I suppose I was way more fortunate than most here, my parents allowed me to particapate so long as I did not miss too much service or meetings, Of course I was never encouraged or praised for my success so this led to being rather callous about achieving greater goals, plus witness peer presure added to that attitude as well, plus, I could of gone on to college level, but chose not to because of the Society's stand on college education. So I too am bitter about that; however, I am thankful for the time I did have on a team.

I love Basketball and after repeated pleadings to my parents was allowed to play in middle school and Freshman and JV in high school because the games were during the day and weekdays. my Sophmore year I was given a opportunity to jump to Varsity.

Once my parents found out I was forced to quit because of the night games and occasional Saturdays. I was devastated and to this day friends from school still bring it up. it still hurts..

I can feel your pain here. Sucks outloud. OC

• Billzfan23
    Billzfan23

Wow... These are all great responses, just the kind of thing that I was looking for.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit