Nuke almost went off

by zagor 14 Replies latest social current

• zagor
    zagor

Mishap in dismantling nuclear warhead

AUSTIN, Texas, Dec. 15 (UPI) -- A watchdog group charges a nuclear warhead nearly exploded in Texas when it was being dismantled at the government's Pantex facility near Amarillo.

The Project on Government Oversight says it has been told by knowledgeable experts that the warhead nearly detonated in 2005 because an unsafe amount of pressure was applied while it was being disassembled, The Austin American-Statesman reports.

The U.S. Energy Department fined the plant's operators $110,000 last month.

An investigator for Project on Government Oversight says the weapon involved was a W-56 warhead with 100 times the destructive power of the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima.

The watchdog group says the problem was caused in part by technicians at the plant being required to work up to 72 hours each week.

They released an anonymous letter, reportedly sent by Pantex employees, warning that long hours and efforts to increase output were causing dangerous conditions at the plant.

A spokesperson for the Energy Department declined to respond to safety complaints in the letter.

• gumby
    gumby

It's just a matter of time before the shit hits the fan anyways. Sorry to sound negative but I feel the worst is yet to come and I hope i'm pushin up daisies before it happens.

Gumflowerpusher

• JeffT
    JeffT

Do you have a link for this article? I know some people I could ask about it. From what I know I don't think that critcal mass can be initiated in the way this describes. But an explosion could throw radioactive material around. More details would be good.

• zagor
    zagor

Click on the heading it will take you to the original article ....

But ok here is the link too http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20061215-124703-2900r

• JeffT
    JeffT

Doh! (sound of Jeff slapping his forehead).

Thanks

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

The story is being discussed here: http://www.digg.com/

Interesting posters, worth taking a look.

Dave

• moshe
    moshe

Warheads today use a neutr0n tr1gger for a fuse to start the cha1n reaction in a non-critical amount of unran1um. Fuses are obviously not installed in a warhead undergoing maintenance. Now the internal explosives might have been almost been set off and that would have caused a "D1rty B0mb" effect. I think this is what the story meant. Do you know that uran1um rusts or oxidizes over time? At some point this oxidized uran1um will cause the bomb to become a dud. So they have to reprocess the uran1um into new components and rebuild the warheads on a regular basis. (words misspelled on purpose)

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>(words misspelled on purpose)

Why? Just naively curious.

Dave

• Auchmull
    Auchmull

>>(words misspelled on purpose)

Why? Just naively curious.

Dave

So Echelon doesn't catch him, of course.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

BOOM !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit