It's a Wonderful Life (the movie)

by zeroday 10 Replies latest jw friends

• zeroday
    zeroday

I am 51 years old and have watched this movie every xmas as far back as I can remember. I was watching it last night and crying like a baby. Why is that. Oh yea, I was pretty well lit, that probably didn't help.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I watched it too!

And I still cry too!

Funny thing is I always see something that I forgot. It's fun to get old and senile..so many new things...

Snoozy..

• Beans
    Beans

My fav xmas movie, it's what christmas is all about and we all feel it! It's true what the song says, "It's the most wonderful time of the year"

But ya gotta love "Christmas Vacation" as well!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I love that movie! I, who teases my husband about his need to have a 'video library'(!), bought it and it arrived last friday. With the windstorms, power outage etc. have not watched it yet this year. TONITE!

I must be a big wuss, since I cry till I am snotty and I don't even drink!:) Love you guys!!! Merry Christmas.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Zero,

The movie was scripted in such a way as to resonate with the longing within each of us to achieve meaning in our lives. When I watch George Bailey on the phone with Donna Reed listening to the phone close to him, and see him smell her and the longing he feels for her, ...I am leveled. It is the longing we all have felt. The need to have meaning to another who loves the smell of us. It is the longing of wanting to make a difference in people's lives around us and not feel as if our very existence is merely another pointless journey. There is also the association of memories in our lives with the various viewings of the movie. I identify the places I was in my own journey when I've watched it over the years.

Who can forget little George being slapped by the chemist when he points out his mistake. It is the way of this life that our best efforts to save others results in our own suffering. I'm glad it made you a little wet in the sockets.

It's a good sign.

Either that or you're an alcoholic. lol. (It is a Wonderful Life, the life)

W.Once

• zeroday
    zeroday
    Love you guys!!! Merry Christmas.

Back at you. Haven't been able to say that for 28 years.

• zeroday
    zeroday
    George Bailey on the phone with Donna Reed listening to the phone close to him, and see him smell her and the longing he feels for her,

Are you kidding, he just wanted to jump her bones...... George you devil you.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

ME TOO!

When I was still in the borg, these kind of movies meant nothing to me. Now........I can't get enough of them. Guess I want to make up for all the years of being unhappy!

What makes me cry at these is the fact that I am alone and don't have anyone to share the special times with. Oh.......I do have a daughter who lives 1200 miles away and we talk every day. I just wish she was with me or I with her.

HappyDad

• RR
    RR

That is my wife's favorite movie, she knows all the lines before there even spoken, We have it on DVD and watches it several times a year!

We caught the ending the other night on TV.

RR

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings Zeroday,

I said Merry Christmas officially for the first time in over 40 years. It was to my newly adopted family who told me that I am "essential" to them. They, outsiders, "worldly ones", gave me food and comfort and cheer and everything I needed (rent money) to get through a very difficult year. They knew and appreciated this greeting was a first for me.

George Bailey is a prime example of the triumph of good [George] over evil [Mr. Potter]. The gut-wrenching despair over a hidden matter, orchestrated to ruin him, could not have been better portrayed than by Mr. Everyman himself, James Stewart.

Happy Holidays!

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit