I never thought I would live to see

by Junction-Guy 24 Replies latest social current

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

The day when smoking was banned in Paintsville Kentucky. This little town where my family comes from is not only smack dab in the bible belt, but is also the tobacco belt. Eastern Kentuckians have a higher rate of smoking than probably anywhere in the U.S. The new ban will affect only restaurants. There are no bars there(dry county). My non jw cousin works for the health department there, otherwise I would probably write a letter to the editor of the newspaper. I feel its a personal choice that the restaurant owners should have to make, not something forced on them. Most restaurants have non-smoking sections, and if enough customers would complain then the owner could decide to forbid smoking. I smoke, Mom smokes, and Darin occasionally smokes, but it wont have no affect on us because we always eat at our relatives there anyway. just thought I would share this breaking news from my old stomping grounds.-----Dave

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

They did that here where I live. They found out later that the news was wrong and actually it was a choice the restaurants could make and the law didn't really do anything except give the restaurants an excuse.. The law did not make since to me. I just know that even though all of that mess was in the news, you can still smoke in restaurants. I personally don't smoke in restaurants anyway. I can wait until I go outside. It doesn't bother me. Now if they tell me I can't smoke in my own car or ban the sell of cigarettes on the other hand -- that I would be fussy about.

Renee

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

So what happened, did they repeal that law? or did it just never pass?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

They've banned smoking on hospital property in my city. You can't even smoke in your car. You have to leave. Man, it's stressful when you have a love one in the hospital and you want to go outside to smoke. Can't do it!

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Not even in your own car in the parking lot? Wow that is pretty strict.

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

At the civic hospital in Ottawa it's the same thing, and the die hard smokers, patients included, have to cross a 4 lane highway to do it. One of these days someone is going to get hit. I'm sure the legilsators are all proud of themselves. If they can push it that far. what's next? What's a greater risk, a sick person having a smoke for their nerves, or a sick person crossing the street with racing cars where there are no traffic lights. These eggheads think they're so clever. Going that far is just a power trip for a geek, whom no one ever listened to, or took seriously in school.

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

I had an uncle who died of lung cancer. It wasn't pretty. He said in the 40's he asked his doctor if he minded that he would have a smoke and the doctor gave him an ash tray to put on his chest while he was examining him!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I think that people are going to resort to using snuff and tobacco chew; and then there will be tobacco spit all over the place.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

New Zealand, like Ireland have had a complete ban on public smoking for a few years now. No smoke in bars, restaurants, sports stadiums, theatres, rock concerts or circuit assemblies.

After the initial furore everyone got used to it. Interestingly, we still have a huge number of young women smokers whereas other sectors of the population are reducing tobacco use.

• NanaR
    NanaR

Smoking is banned in Ashland, KY, too. The ban includes ALL public buildings -- including bars. Only private clubs (like the American Legion or the Elks) are exempt. Hotels can still provide "smoking" rooms for guests, but smoking is banned in all public areas of hotels too. The ban in the hospital area includes all land owned by the hospital (including all the parking lots and parking garages), and within 20 feet of any land owned by the hospital. Now the hospital's neighbors are complaining because people are crossing the streets to smoke in front of private homes and leaving cigarette butts everywhere. The hospital denies that any hospital employees smoke, but a quick drive by shows people in hospital uniforms lighting up all the time. Smoking is even banned at outside concerts such as those at the Summer Motion and Poages Landing festivals. It is very hypocritical, because selling cigarettes is a MAJOR deal in Ashland. People drive from Ohio and WV to buy their cigarettes here due to the lower KY state tax on tobacco. Some smokers have said that what they should all do is refuse to BUY their cigarettes in the city and buy them outside of city limits where the ban does not exist. I have never smoked, but just don't like the infringement on personal liberties that this represents. Also, in a statistics class I took in college, the professor (who did not smoke BTW) used the "secondhand smoke statistics" cited in articles as proof of how statistical "proofs" could be totally misrepresentative of actual facts. "Correlation does not prove Causation" was his mantra. I didn't know about the Paintsville ban, but I'm not totally surprised. It's everywhere... NanaR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit