by AvailableLight 17 Replies latest jw friends

• AvailableLight
    AvailableLight

From Addendum to Crisis of Conscience (1995)

For Chapter 12

Available http://www.freeminds.org/history/franz_ad.htm

What then is the significant difference? It is that now, to qualify as part of "this generation," a person need no longer to have been alive in 1914 to form part of "this generation." Anyone can see the supposed sign of Christ's presence at any time -- even if for the first time now in the 1990's, or for that matter in the next millennium -- and still qualify as part of "this generation." This allows the phrase to float free of any starting date and reduces considerably the need to explain away the embarrassing length of time that has elapsed since 1914, and the rapidly diminishing ranks of persons who were alive at that date.

I understand this explantion.

(The arrival of the year 2014 could, however, still present a problem.)

Okay, why? I seem to be missing something.

• Moxy
    Moxy

i think he means psychologically. there's only so far you can stretch the new free-floating 'generation' teaching before you run into problems again, and he's guessing around the century mark is where they'll have to untether themselves from 1914 further. Ray's been right on the money before.

mox

• openminded
    openminded

1914 just does not make much sense as a benchmark for anything past 2014. Its like referencing your local grocery store to someone who needs directions by giving its proximity to the Leaning Tower of Pissa. -OM

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

This is interesting.

Think about the significance attached to 1914 - in many, many of its publications the Society has pushed the idea that 1914 was a turning point in human history an event that marked the transition from a general era of peace into a general era of violence.

Reasonable so far.

However, a watershed date such as 1914 only really holds significance to the general population for as long as it is in living memory!
    What real significance do dates like 1066 have anymore?

I think Ray Franz was making the point that as time slips by and 1914 fades ever more distant into the background the less import it will have.
    2014 will be a time when a lot of older JW's will be asking lot's of questions.

And consider - which date do most people now view as marking the end of one era and the beginning of a new one, August 16th 1914 or September 11th 2001?

Nic'

Protect your family, friends and neighbours from the misery and heartache that comes with Watchtower association.
    The first line of defence against Jehovah's Witnesses is to stop them calling!

http://www.do-not-call.org

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Leaning Tower of Pissa? Coooool!!!!

dungbeetle...roll, roll, roll that dung!

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

The further dates pass into history the less important they are. 1914 has long been said (at least by the WTS) to be a major turning point in human history.

In 2014, a century later, the Great War it will seem as distant as the American Civil does to us today. Events may prove that September 11, 2001 is an equally important turning point for humankind (good or bad). With few people around to even remember the year of 1914 it loses its apeal and 100 years in anybody's book is a long time for a "short time" remaining.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello AvalaibleLight,

a very interesting quote about 1914.

Very soon the WTS will have to "deal " with that one TOO!

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

" One who has an accurate knowledge
    of God's Word will have no problem
    in refuting false religious ideas".

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

nicolaou,

You beat me to it

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• nicolaou
  • blondie
    blondie

I still think the end is coming in 2034, 120 years after 1914. The same time frame Noah's time was given....And supposedly All Soul's Day (November 1) is the time the flood started. So the end will come on November 1, 2034....just kidding.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit