For Newbies: EXCELLENT Judicial meeting with LOTS of info!!

by Lady Liberty 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Gregor
    Gregor

This was 22 years ago. I would like to know how this couple is doing now. Hope they are well. I went through a similar situation just a few years earlier than this. I don't mean this in a critical way, but a lot of their discussion I look back on as pointless arguing over concepts that are absurd to me now... throwing scriptures back and forth, arguing about 587 vs 607, the age of a person in 1914, who or what is the true mediator between God and man, etc, etc.

I was in the same state of mind when I left but now it just sounds like members of a UFO cult having a falling out over wether the mother ship rotates clockwise or counter-clockwise. It's all a crock.

• searcher
    searcher
    All those cities he mentioned; I live close to. It's interesting that these elders actually listened to what they had to say instead of just saying "Do you believe this is the Truth?" like so many JCs nowadays.

I wonder why this is?

Could it be a dumming down of the 'elder class'? A resignation in trying to discuss/defend doctrine? A policy shift (as in 'just get rid of them')?

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Gregor,

I know you probably didn't mean it as harsh as it sounds, but you have to remember this was done in the mid-80's - well before the ease of finding information on the Internet. People like the Townsends that had the nerve to question when they REALLY DID feel like they were the ONLY ONES out there. Man, I am so in awe of that.

It is people like the Townsends that paved the way for the current crops of people leaving.

-ithinkisee

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Can I ask a really stupid - techno - ignorant question?

I listened to Vito and Annette Pontenzieri audio. BTW it was supremely interesting and captivating. I would like to share it with my cousin, who has no internet access. I am going to ask Vito for permission [if his email is still accurate] to record it to CD and share.

But - how do I take it from the Nero Player it is on to CD? I just have no idea how to do it. I right clicked all over the player and never saw options for that. I am a tech-dummie and need some help.

Jeff

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

Ok, I might be showing my complete ignorance here: Are you able to save the clip onto your own computer (is there a download option?) Once there, then you could burn it onto a CD. I also know that some of these are available as taped sessions from the website. Maybe contact them about getting some?

• UpAndAtom
    UpAndAtom

Wow - that summary speech at the end is incredible.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

When I realized I wanted out of the JWs I pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I was not going to be able to present a rational argument to my wife regarding my choices. I was just trying to figure out what to do with my life after I left.

However, this audio from the Townsends is the thing that made me say to myself, "You know what ... I think I am gonna take a crack at this!"

Their reasonableness and obvious desire for honesty is the thing that struck me. Those were the qualities I tried to carry over to my situation.

-ithinkisee

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    It's interesting that these elders actually listened to what they had to say instead of just saying "Do you believe this is the Truth?" like so many JCs nowadays.

I believe that this is part of the 'simplification process'.

It's much simpler to encourage the elders to just ask this bottom-line question and let the elders think that the purpose is to not waste everyone's time (especially their's) if the person is not really 'honest-hearted' (ie: a zombie j-dub).

The reality is more likely that it's simpler for the GB and the org in general to not allow room for questioning amongst the elders. A questioning elder will soon need to be replaced. Much more comlicated than keeping the ones they have.

-Aude.

• Indian Larry
    Indian Larry

I am a "newbie" and I would like to thank whoever posted this for putting "newbie" in the title. I just finished listening to the entire committee meeting. All I can say is WOW! Rick did a fantastic job of defending himself, especially when you consider all the research he had to do BEFORE there was the internet to make it all so easy. What a good job and his comments afterwards were so good as well. No name calling, no insults, just straight facts well presented. I truly believe that if we want to help family members out this is the best way to do it. I am a 3rd generation witness, and a few years ago I was "seven of nine" so to speak, but things have changed and I have managed a pretty good fade for the past several years. All my family is still "in", my wife is "in" and I have an young child that will be facing pressure soon to get baptised. I am going to try to get my wife to listen to this audio and see how that goes. I don't want to get DF'd because my parents are elderly and it would break their hearts. I also don't want to try to talk them "out" of the org because the cognitive dissonance is so hard on you mentally. It took me almost 10 years to get to the point I am now, I don't think they have that long left and I don't want to ruin what time they have by forcing them to choose between myself and the org.

Right now I just want to get my wife on the same page as I. Anyway that was a fantastic audio.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

bookmarking

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit