Ridiculous rules-

by ashitaka 13 Replies latest jw friends

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

LOL-this was my first thread. Interesting seeing this relic dug up.

Another rule: Ties. If you didn't wear one, and protested wearing one, you were well on the path to the devil......LOL

• Mulan
    Mulan

You guys must have lived in a very strict area. In our area, there were some restrictions, but some of those listed above are bizarre.

No one ever told us we couldn't let the kids see Saturday Night Fever.

Most of my friends, and my daughter, have more than one hole in their ears.........some have several.

We always had graduation parties..........sometimes combined if there were lots of kids graduating that year.

There always was beer and wine at the wedding receptions, if the family could afford it.

I wore skirts above the knee and my husband was an elder. (there were complaints, but the skirts were tasteful)

colored shirts were commonly worn by the men. Suits only on the convention programs, but otherwise, sport coats were fine.

Mustaches were very common from the late 70's on.

As I said, maybe it was just our area.

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

Mulan,

The congregation where your mom and step dad served in the 60s and early 70s was very strict. Of course, there were few young ones (few under the age of 50). Leisure suits were a no-no. Graduation parties - did not happen, in fact it was rare that any of us graduated...get out of high school as soon as possible so you could join the ranks of the pioneers. Music-only Kingdom melodies. My dad told us he would let us pierce our ears (one hole in each) if we would let him do it with an awl (think he was truly serious). I received an anonymous letter from a, ahem, well meaning sister, after I wore, in her opinion, a low cut dress to play piano for a KH wedding. Funny thing, you know how strict my dad was, he didn't see it as being low cut. Mustaches on brothers were not permitted. White shirts for the brothers. Dancing? didn't exist. What did we do for fun? we didn't...no such thing as fun - the end was coming! get out there and preach the kingdom. No one celebrated anniversaries. When I was 18 I moved to the south Seattle area and was shocked when I saw brothers on the platform wearing leisure suits. They had pizza parties. The kids went roller skating. They had softball games. It was a different world.

Mrs R

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Mulan, You may interested to know that in the South, we were often encouraged to pray for ya'll on the "eft coast".

Many times California and the Pacific coast was specificaly identified as an area were Satan was using extra effort to decieve God's people. Yes, some areas were 'strict' and some areas were "iluminated" from the platform as "liberal" during the late 70's and early 80's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit