Ridiculous rules-

by ashitaka 13 Replies latest jw friends

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

So, what ridiculous rules have been imposed on you guys? I had my JW father tell me that green shirts were rebellious, and an elder said that Star Wars was demonic, just to give a couple of examples.......

• LDH1
  • funkyderek
    funkyderek

I was told by an elder, while preparing for baptism that old-fashioned dances, such as the waltz and the foxtrot, are acceptable but "modern" dancing such as the Jitterbug are not.

--
    Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit attrocities - Voltaire

• LDH1
    LDH1

The fact that this a$$hole classifies 'The Jitterbug' as a 'modern dance' shows how out of touch with reality he is!

BWAHAHAHAHAH

Lisa

• Englishman
    Englishman

Ashitaka,

Is this your idea of a KH?

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Mid '70s-early 80's--- West Tenn, USA

Moustaches not appropriate for caucasion brothers but ok for Hispanics and Blacks-part of their culture.
    BTW-where does the fixation with facial hair come from? A sis from Bolivar Tn commented in a BS one night that facial hair, esp. beards was inidicative of homosexual leanings!??!

Sport coats and slacks vs. suits- Suits only.

White shirts only.

Two vents vs. one vent tailoring in jacket-Single vent prefered.

Cowboy boots on platform- It came up, I dont remember the final verdict. Most of our guys "were serving where the need was greater" and figured we were red necks anyway.

Couldnt go "steady"- Engaged or not, no lesser comitment allowed. I found this out when I traded class rings with a girl I was serious about. Could not find it in the "Youth Book", however.

"Dating"-verbotten- however slipping off from your large group singing Kingdom songs to play "spin the bottle" was semi- tolerated.

Dancing frowned upon- However, across the river in MO Disco fever was rampant.

"Urban Cowboy" ignored- Saturday Night Fever villified. (Maybe its because we were all rednecks(;-)

But "stacked" shoes where ok- as long as a white shirt clean face, and suit were worn.

Irrational acts required- Mom was afraid "they'ed" take all the book so she sewed a "Make Sure" into a chair she re-covered---Like "They" would let you keep a chair in the Concentration camp during the Great Trib.

College, Hell- we went to HIGH SCHOOL as a "Matter of Concience"

Do whatever you concience allows- just chek with the elders first.

Had to know the difference between "anti typical" and typical- back then we studied thos deep $.50 books about Revalation and Ezekeial, Daniel and Jehremia, etc--the WT has DUMBED DOWN the lit in the last few years!

On the subject of dress- what blew me away after all of the nonsense we has a CA at the old Orepeum (sp?) theater in Memphis, the guy handling mics was dressed like Shaft or Super Fly!? I had to wear a white shirt and a suit to do the same duty at home.

"Wordly" people could testify in judicial actions (it's in the old Org Book) however in Memphis they had to be approved by the local body (NOT)

Comment in YOUR OWN words- just dont get to creative!

We dont really need 3 witnesses to the situation especially if one is "wordly".

Can't be a cop but the fire dept is ok (even though the both take the same oath of office and are structured as paramilitary orgs) By the way, they wear flags on the uniforms.

This could go on forever----Next!

"Still searchin for clues at the scene of the crime..." Joe Walsh

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Funny- I remember getting a 'funny feeling' doing some of those "sanctioned" dance steps. I still enjoy Two steppin with a sweet young thang now and again. At least at the school functions (so I'm told) you had to get a hand between partners.lol
    Dig back into the Youth book era- time and again we were warned of the evils of provocative dance. Waltzes and tangos etc are sensual (and overtly sexual if done correctly) by design and folks knew that from the start.
    Dont think I ever got a warm and fuzzy feeling during the Disco era- even those demonic tempos couldnt get me going. Oh well!

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

I know one elder tried to get a few people in our hall to stop working for the US Postal Service because it was a government organization and because one of them delivered mail to an officer's club.

No earrings for men.

Only one pair of earrings for the ladies.

I was the only rebel kid allowed to watch the smurfs - and an elder's daughter no less.

No after school sports.

Advanced classes and gifted classes were a no-no because they took my time away from bible study - I was taken out.

Sunglasses in field service.

No alcohol at weddings.

Graduation parties.

Talking on the phone with boys.

Kissing unless you are engaged.

School functions period.

One that still gets me and is a major no-no is Birthdays.

Leaching off mom and dad well into your 30's was OK if you are pioneering.

No patting sisters on the back.

No skirts above the knee.

No dancing like you are at a rave.

And on and on and on...

But... crazy things that are allowed - that could make volumes of books.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

After I received my new HS diploma I (the one I wasnt going to get--Class of 78 lol) went to work in a construction trade and got good enough to do repair and service work on my own. Ended up working for BRO-ELDER.
    BRO ELDER ran a non-union shop. Lets see- I was using my truck for free, and making less than union scale for wages for no bennies. But with the short hours he was stringing me along with I was always fresh for service and able to stay awake on Thurs nite.
    Had a discussion w/BRO ELDER about unions. Back in the 70's lotsa witnesses were working with the trade union in the area and got good wages and top-notch training in the craft. BRO ELDER was one of them. Any way he gave up membership and became self employed and eventually began working his "brothers" in his non union shop with conditions described again.
    One day he told me that Union membership would probalbly become grounds for judical action--- because organized labors donates to PAC's. I took that gem of reason on got into the union ASAP. Fact was BRO ELDER was making a good profit from the sweat of my labor and just didnt want to share.
    By the the way this NGO deal---that sounds a politcal as you can get.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I see many newbies-- BTTT for their benifit and commnets

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit