My new quandry-The KJV bible

by Junction-Guy 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I guess this pales in comparison to other issues i have dealt with. My quandry is this. I love the KJV bible, and if ever there was an approved version from God, I feel this is it. I attend church where they only preach from the KJV, where I come from in Kentucky there is no other bible that garners the respect that the KJV does. Now my quandry, "Jehovah" is mentioned 4 times in the KJV, these are the only 4 verses that I have trouble with. I have read so much on here and other sites about the name Jehovah and how it isnt really the correct name and that it was invented by a Catholic Monk. So what do I do? Sacrifice my choice of Bible for one that does not use Jehovah? The Church that Darin attends uses the NIV, Jehovah isnt mentioned in that. I guess what Im trying to say is this--Should I let my negative expereinces in the JW cult affect my choice of Bible, all because when I hear the name Jehovah I associate it with a negative family wrecking cult?-----------This isnt a life shattering decision, but something I have been thinking about lately.

• sir82
    sir82

Just curious about this statement:

if ever there was an approved version from God, I feel this is it.

In the nearly 400 years since it was written, countless manuscripts have been discovered which are older and almost certainly closer to the original Greek text that the original 1st & 2nd century writers wrote in. How did you conclude that the inferior Greek texts that the KJV is based on produce a better, God-approved translation?

Also, why would God reserve his approval for a translation into English, a language that probably at least 75% of the world can't speak (and if you consider that it is written in 17th century English, then that number probably jumps to over 90%) ? Or does he have "approved versions" in other languages as well?

Honestly, I'm not trying to be critical, I just really don't see how you came to that conclusion.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I just like the version, it seems more authoritative. My cousin who belongs to the church of christ told me she doesnt like most modern version because they remind her so much of the JW's trying to modernize and change things. Most of the churches i attend strictly use the KJV, I would be the oddball if I used another one. It's just one of those gut feeling type things, kinda like that gut feeling I had that JW's werent the truth. I get a warm feeling reading the KJV, when I read other versions I just feel like they are knockoffs similiar to the NWT (not quite as bad-lol)

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

"Jehovah" is just one way to pronounce the name that appears in the text, true? I mean, no matter what you say, you aren't saying the name as it was spoken in Hebrew.

Why would the name "Jehovah" give you trouble, but the name "Jesus" wouldn't? They are both just English-ized versions of the originals, aren't they? (I'm really asking, I can't say for sure, but I think so.)

Besides, the KJV was good enough for the Apostle Paul and it ought to be good enough for you! ;-)

Dave

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

The name "Jesus" doesnt bother me because I dont associate it with Jehovah's Witnesses, I associate"Jesus" with Christendom. It was always Jehovah this, and Jehovah that, very little Jesus. Jesus doesnt bother me because whenever I her that word, I never think of the Kingdom Hall.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I understand your quandry. However, I do not hold the KJV in an "authoritative" position over any other translation. I prefer the NASB, because it is considered by scholars (knowledgable ones, that is) to be the closest English translation of the Hebrew, Aramaic & Greek. When you go back in history, you will find that the Puritans & the Seperatists held the KJV in low esteem. The Geneva Bible seemed to be their Bible of choice.

While the KJV cannot be compared in the beauty of the English language to modern translations, I believe that accuracy is more important than asthetics. Since the KJV is based on the Textus Receptus, and not the earlier manuscripts, then I have doubts about the accuracy of the KJV.

I personally, don't make a big deal about what version of the Bible you use (as long as it's not the NWT or the Mormon KJV). If you enjoy reading the KJV then more power to you. I will read the NASB, and we can go on serving God from there. Just please don't get caught up in the KJV-only movement. This is a cult-like movement within the southeastern U.S. and can be very dangerous. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King-James-Only_Movement

This is just my two cents. Take it for what it's worth.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I was a former member of the JW cult, and I say this. I understand your desire to
    break from all things JW. There are probably a couple KJV's that don't even have
    that name in them. If I am wrong, then take the one you have and simply take a
    black marker and line out the name in those 4 places. If anyone ever notices (they
    won't) it would easily be explained.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Do the Mormons doctor up their KJV? WOW, I didnt know that. As for the KJV only being a cult, well Im not sure. You see my family in Kentucky were very good to me growing up, and after I left the JW's I started attending church with them. I enjoy the church there, and I feel at home. In that part of the country almost all churches use the KJV, and you know the expression "when in rome, do as the romans". It is definitely the buckle of the bible belt there, I have lived all throughout the south and it is totally different. It is definitely a unique place. Well anyway I guess I should allow my bad expereriences in a cult affect me in other ways. Your NASB is fine by me, I will stick to the King James and the rare time that Jehovah is mentioned I will try my best not to make a weird face-LOL

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Read James White's book on the KJV-only movement. I think that it is the comprehensive book on the topic. I am glad you have a church were you feel comfortable, and are being taught the Word. SO that's all fine by me. I totally understand your view of "When in Rome...." I wouldn't freak out too much about the word "Jehovah." It's just a word.

Have you ever done a study of all the names of God in the Bible, and their meanings? I did this at the urging of a friend that was helping me work through the doctrines of Christianity, and it revolutionized my view of the word "Jehovah." If you have not done it, I would highly reccommend it.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Thanks, I will look up those suggestions. As for the KJV only movement, I really wouldnt consider it a movement there, it is just something thats always been there. So is it true that the KJV that the mormons offer on commercials has been tampered with?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit