My Baby Boy

by mrsjones5 18 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Joshua is on his first fieldtrip. His class is at the Children's Museum. I know he will have a lot of fun.

I don't speak about my children much here but let me tell you a little bit about Joshua. He's my fourth and last child. I became pregnant with him while I had an IUD. I had an IUD because I really didn't want any more children but was too chicken to get my tubes tied. That last pregnancy really took something out of my body, I had really bad headaches and high blood pressure during the third trimester. It got so bad that my doctor induced me a few weeks before my due date.

Joshua was the most beautiful baby I ever birthed (and all my babies were beautiful) and the nurses called him Doll Baby.

Joshua's development was normal until he got close to his second birthday, we noticed that he wasn't talking, had real issues with loud noises (he would get hysterical), and a few other things. My MIL is convinced nothing is wrong with him. My parents treat him like he's retarded (I know this is a no-no word but I feel it aptly describes how my parents treat Joshua which is highly ironic since my parents are caretakers of my 36 year old mentally and physically disabled brother).

We knew something was wrong because he just wasn't talking like our other 3 kids at that age. Luckily there is a program here in Indiana called First Steps for children 0-3 years and they were able to come in evaluate Joshua and set up therapy. We had 3 therapists coming to my house every week until Joshua turned 3, then he was evaluated again and placed in the Early Childhood Education program here in our school district.

Joshua loves school and is improving well. Just the other night he said to me "I love you"!

Life is good.

Josie

• juni
    juni

Hi Josie!

I hope little Joshua comes home talking non stop about his experience! What a special little guy and you are a special parent for getting him help. I applaud you as I know of a family whose child has autism and they still have not got him help. He's 5.

Love to you and your family!

Juni

• restrangled
    restrangled

MrsJones5,

Wow, 4 kids! You must be busy. 2 did me in. I had to have both of mine induced because of Highblood pressure in the 3rd trimester.

Anyway, about your last little fellow not talking....My first son was very verbal and talked non stop very early. When the second guy came along he just didn't talk, and was also scared of loud noises. We finally figured out his older brother was doing all the talking for him, so he just didn't have to. He was around 3 when he finally put two words together. He was sitting in the back seat of the car and announced in a very firm tone "I ANGRY!" It was such a surprise we all burst into laughter.

To make a long story short he was in the gifted program throughout grade school and high school. His forte is mathmatics and he is studying to do something in the engineering or architectual field. To this day he still doesn't talk much.

I hope things continue to keep going well for your son .....he might just surprise you as he gets a little older.

r.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    Just the other night he said to me "I love you"!

How wonderful - especially when you think that loads of so-called 'normal' kids don't know how to say this!

Here's hoping his progress continues, you have a truly blessed child there MrsJ

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I remember how I felt when I was sending my children to their first day of school. I was scared to death. It's frightening for parents to let their little children go out without them. Don't even talk about field trips! Oh! I'd be stressed all day.

But we have to do what we have to do. I'm glad that he's getting the help that he needs and that you're not mother-henning him in.

I am sure hearing him say "I love you" was a precious moment.

• kid-A
    kid-A

"Joshua's development was normal until he got close to his second birthday, we noticed that he wasn't talking, had real issues with loud noises (he would get hysterical), and a few other things."

This sounds like autism. Did they rule this out as a possibility?

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Awe he sounds so adorable. I'm so happy for you that you have help with his development if there is any problem. He is going to have a great day.

My third son is a miracle child. I did not know that my uterus was filled with fibroid tumors, endometriosis and precancer when I got pregnant. I was told to terminate the pregnancy or I would die. Everyone tried to talk me into it. They said I would bleed out when I miscarried. I didn't known at that point that my liver was being danaged too from my genetic blood disease that had not been diagnosed or treated yet.

My son is 18, an incredible young man. He was born with a severe case of ADHD. I had to protect him his whole life from well meaning family and school people who wanted to punish him into shape.

He may never have a High School diploma but he is a musical savant and works hard at his job. He builds the playground at places like McDonalds and Chucky Cheese. He gets paid well and some day should make a musical career since he is amazingly talented.

Our children are precious gifts

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thank you everyone for your replies. I really appreciate it.

This sounds like autism. Did they rule this out as a possibility?

Joshua had an evaluation by a child phsycologist and she determined that he is not a true autistic but has autistic tendencies. Joshua is a very charming child (especially towards someone he likes) and does maintain eye contact - true autistics mostoften do not. So when she was evaluating Joshua, he decided he liked her and was flirting up a storm - looking into her eyes and touching her knee. It was cute.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    I had to protect him his whole life from well meaning family and school people who wanted to punish him into shape.

I have a cousin who had 2 kids who are autistic or have autistic tendencies. I remember her mother saying that all my cousin's kids needed was a good butt whoopin to straighten them out. I'm glad for once my cousin didn't listen to her mom. Oh by the way they're jws.

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

Mrsjones5, I am so glad you have this sweetie in your life. I am glad you are an appreciative mother and treasure the "I love you" better than all the diamonds in the world! I know you do. It melts a mothers heart, must be the closest thing to heaven. Love, Kitten Whiskers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit