Elders and shepherding calls

by sspo 29 Replies latest jw friends

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

While an elder and MS we made an arangement that the first Sunday of the month the elders and MSs would meet and organize shepherding calls. It was one of those initiatives that would work for a while and then no one would show up. A few months later we would reorganize and try it again.

During the 15 years as a MS and elder I probably made 20 shepherding calls.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

In the congregation where I began to fade an elder met me after the meeting and said he was assigned to do a shepherding call. I replied that it would be fine, just give me a call.

Several weeks and no phone calls he cornered me at the hall one night and did his "encouraging" shepherding call while standing in the back of the hall.

• BCZAR2ME
    BCZAR2ME

The advice given to me? Stay just long enough so they don't hate you.

bczar

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

During my "career" in the truth, I can honestly say that the number of shepherding visits I had covered the digits on my left hand.

Most calls were perfunctory, perfomed out of a sense of duty because the CO visit was coming up.

The fact that field service and reports are among the "teachings unique to Jehovah's Witnesses" should be an eye opener for anyone who is due a visit.

The elders will measure your performance to the average and will ask/probe/demand answers as to why your corporate performance is lacking.

Few are willing to go beyong corporate questionning to discern the true intentions of the heart. Even fewer have the mind of Christ.

Shepherding calls are simply staff appraisals under the guise of religion.

• fokyc
    fokyc

We had ONE on the Evening of Friday 14th January 1994 and we never want another!!

fokyc

• sspo
    sspo
    Several weeks and no phone calls he cornered me at the hall one night and did his "encouraging" shepherding call while standing in the back of the hall.

He did that right before an elders meeting where the PO checks on all of them whether they made their shepherding call and didn't want his a...s chewed.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

"Holy Bible Batman, Gary has 10 questions that need answered."

"We must hide, Quick Robin, to the BATCAVE!"

• misguided
    misguided

I had few shepherding calls from one caring elder while going through a divorce.

My now ex-husband (an elder's son) moved into a woman from his work's home 10 days before our 5th baby was born. Our oldest was just 5 1/2.

This caring elder is now (13 years later) df'd as an apostate.

I sent him a Christmas card this year. I told him he made a difference in my life, and thanked him.

Rose

• blondie
    blondie

I can say that some elders never want to make shepherding calls, whether just to encourage and especially not if there is a problem. There were elders that wanted sincerely to help but could not find another elder to go with them.

One energetic brother was like a poster here described, working in field service with the people in his group, making a social visit on every family every six months. He was pulled aside by 2 elders and was told he was making them look bad. That the other groups expected the same attention and they were too busy golfing and snowmobiling.

I saw 2 elders burn out running around trying to help all those who needed help while the other 5 elders let them. Their families suffered as well.

I personally always had a pet peeve. Elders who dropped by unannounced who did not call and check what time was convenient for you and then were surprised when I did not invite them in. Rude, rude, rude!

Blondie

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Shepherding visits were so damn formal that I hated going. The PO told us to use the pages in the OM book on endurance and nothing else. It didn't matter if they brought up any other subject, we were to stick with the pages assigned and cover them like a book study with the publishers.

My God, they didn't even have names, they were "the publishers". Like others have expressed, I knew the friends well personally and knew what was on their minds already. When I went to their house on a formal visit I would mention the subject of endurance, encourage them to read the om book when they had a chance and then say, what's on your mind? After that I would just listen. Really pissed off the PO, HA HA.

We always had a nice visit. The formal visits seldom happened. Everyone thought we were coming to discipline them. That's what happens when the elders are simply doing an assignment.

W.Once

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit