How did Rutherford do it?

by NanaR 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NanaR
    NanaR

Back at the time that Rutherford revealed the "new light" regarding the Great Multitude as an earthly rather than heavenly class, how did he manage to convince people to STOP partaking of the emblems?

I have wondered about this for YEARS. My grandmother was born around the "turn" of the 19th century to the 20th century. She was a 3rd generation Bible Student. She, of course, believed herself to be of the annointed and partook of the emblems before the "new light". She was also the kindest, most compassionate, most "Christian" person I have ever known. I asked her once about why she stopped partaking, and all she said was, "I found out that I was not really of the annointed." That always bothered me...

So does anybody know just HOW the old Judge managed to convince people that they weren't going to heaven after all?

NanaR

• Anitar
    Anitar

I heard it had something to do with the 144,000 "chosen ones." Rutherford wanted to expand his power by saying only a select few could get into heaven. Up until then, an individual decided for him/herself if they were part of the annointed class. As more and more people became aware of this rule, more started jumping on the bandwagon since there was no one to argue with you if you said you were annointed.

Then Rutherford created the cut-off point for those going to heaven, and that was 1935. I could be wrong about this, so hopefully someone else can explain it better.

It was all about giving himself more power. When he started to lose it, the Society left him alone in Beth Sarim to drink himself to death.

Anitar

• NanaR
    NanaR
    Then Rutherford created the cut-off point for those going to heaven, and that was 1935.

Anitar,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I know about the 1935 "revelation" -- but my grandmother was "of the annointed" long before that. She was baptized sometime before my mother was born in 1918. So by 1935, she would have been partaking for almost 20 years. That's a long time.

So I can't figure out how she came to the conclusion that she wasn't REALLY "of the anointed". And since she died back in the 1970s, I can't ask her.

I was hoping somebody here knew the reasoning that was brought to bear on folks at the time to convince them that they weren't really annointed.

NanaR

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

One element had to be the fact that so many long-time Bible Students simply left Rutherford's organization and formed organizations that remained true to Russell's doctrines. Rutherford's organization stressed marketing (advertise, advertise, advertise) and the gathering of new recruits. There had to be a shift in Rutherfordian doctrine to justify this "preaching work" --- Russell had no interest in converting the 'nations;' Russell felt that his task was to gather the true church from all the divisions of Christianity and hunker down together because the world was soon to end. Rutherford must have seen what a dead-end, growth-wise, that would be. He wanted an organization with more than 144,000 members, so he needed "new light."

Necessity is the Mother if Invention.

(I realize that this doesn't answer your original question about how your Grandmother changed her mind. It will take a bit of digging to come up with the meme Rutherford implanted in the minds of his anointed, but dig we must! Probably Blondie or Leolaia will come up with the specifics before I do. I'll be off-line shortly and for the rest of the day.)

• Anitar
    Anitar

You're welcome, Nana. Perhaps your grandmother changed her belief with such apparent ease because she never really believed herself to be anointed in the first place. Or maybe she really did believe and just pretended she didn't after Rutherford changed the rules.

Why would anyone believe themselves to be of the anointed? Well, in the Watchtower it's easy because no one can prove you wrong and there's no precedent for determining who qualifies. Actually, it's not really about God or religion at all. These people are very isolated from the world, most of them never went to college, and they have very low paying jobs. This is the only way they can feel important, the only place where they really have power. For people which such fragile self esteem, they just want to belong somewhere, and if they can call themselves "anointed," than all the better for them.

Some were obviously very angry at not being anointed. They probably never stopped believing no matter what Rutherford said. The ones who did, like your grandmother, might have spent the rest of their lives in resentment of the Watchtower but could not disagree for fear of being disfellowshipped, especially since armageddon was "right around the corner." Of course, I mean no disrespect to your grandmother, and I don't presume to know what she was thinking. I am just speculating on the group as a whole.

What does it mean to be anointed anyway? What would your family and friends think if you started going around saying "I am of the heavenly class?" Maybe they gave it up because it sounded so crazy and self-righteous. Jesus taught his followers to be humble and not boast about their beliefs. The Watchtower philosophy (or lack thereof) teaches the exact opposite. It's all about appearances and your faith is dependent on what others think of you.

I hope that helps.

Anitar

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

About 1970 I was talking with two elderly fleshly sisters who had been in the JW organization from the late 20s. I was surprised that one said she was of the "anointed" and the other said she was not. I had figured that everyone who was baptized before 1935 were of the anointed.
    They explained it this way. When JFR gave the "Great Multitude" speech in 1935 in Washington DC he asked all those who were anointed to stand up. One of these sisters stood. Then he asked for all those who were of the "Great Multitude" class to stand up. As we all know many did, but the other fleshly sister did not. The first sister who had stood up claiming to be of the aointed said, "Why didn't you stand up with the Great Multitude group?" The second sister replied: "I don't know which group I am." The first sister told her: "If you don't know if you're of the anointed, then you're part of the Great Multitude." So, the second sister stopped partaking at the Memorial and proclaimed she was part of the earthly class.
    From what I've heard there were a few others in 1935 who did the same thing.

• rockhound
    rockhound

Maybe it was because of a tried-and-true principle of behavioral psychology called the "variable ratio reinforcement schedule". Basically, people ( and rats) will persist in doing something, even with little or no return, if they are given the tiniest bit of hope of a coming reward. The "Paradise Earth" hope may have seemed more attainable than "Heaven"

ROCKHOUND

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

NanaR....Rutherford introduced the Jonadab class and relocated the "great multitude" to the earth in order to fix certain theological problems. He taught in the 1920s a new teaching about the "remnant", which claimed that the number of the elect would continue to decrease until Armageddon. This was another "fix", aimed at rationalizing the immense decrease in the movement on account of the 1925 failure and Rutherford's new teachings. Thus, the dramatic decrease was to be expected. But then the trends reversed in 1930 and 1931 because of the Great Depression.... new people started to enter into the movement in droves on account of the terible conditions at the time. So Rutherford had to explain why there was an increase. Hence, he invented a new class, the "Jonadabs" who associate themselves with the organization. But to maintain the pre-existing "remnant" teaching, Rutherford told them that they were an earthly class and not a member of either of the heavenly classes. This would prevent them from increasing the number of the Church, which was supposed to be declining.

But he knew that zealous neophytes could still decide that they were spirit-begotten, and with increased maturity over time claim that they are really members of the elect 144,000. He also needed to keep coming up with excuses to keep the Witnesses working hard for him (earlier excuses...1920-1921: Elisha work, mid-1920s: Vindication teaching). He solved both problems in 1935 by identifying the "great multitude" with the "Jonadab" class. Eliminating the older "secondary spiritual class" meant that a neophyte would have to claim to be of the elect 144,000 to assert a heavenly destiny (rather than a wider class of those with less spiritual maturity). It also allowed him to introduce a huge new field of work for the JWs, for the number of "Jonadabs" was still small and yet Revelation claimed that the "great multitude" was so vast no man could number it. This meant that the "gathering of the great multitude" must begin, and this dominated the preaching work from 1935 onward. And if the work was supposed to be focused on gathering the great multitude, then Rutherford could claim that the gathering of the elect has ended. This would also insure that the number would not increase and that the remnant teaching would not be contradicted by actual facts.

But his plan did not exactly work as well as he hoped. The gathering of the "great crowd" has indeed been the focus of the Society ever since, and this teaching has certainly been a great success. But there were still new people claiming to be members of the 144,000, and these were mostly of "Jonadabs" later deciding that they were really of the elect. This was officially rationalized as "replacements" for unfaithful elect....but the Society has strongly discouraged the practice and even hinted that those who decide they really have a heavenly hope are spiritually or mentally unstable. The "remnant" taeching meanwhile has been an abyssmal failure. Not only has the decrease that was so dramatic in the 1920s (now a distant memory) ground to a halt, but in many years the numbers actually increase.

I'm not sure how he was able to convince all the existing members of the "secondary spiritual class" that they have an earthly rather than a heavenly destiny, other than that he was the mouthpiece of Jehovah and reported Jehovah's "lighnings," as he puts it, so if he said so, I think most went along with him. Also, I think the number of the JWs considered of the "great multitude" had actually declined by this time. This group was as hard hit by the decreases of the 1920s as the elect, and the "Jonadab" teaching introduced in 1931 prevented many new members from joining the ranks of the secondary spiritual class, which is where neophytes would have gone previously.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly
    The partaking of the emblems was restricted only to the "elect," who were the most spiritually mature members of the church.

I thought that both heavenly classes in the church were supposed to be spirit-begotten and thereby supposed to partake. It would only be the Lord who would decide who had been negligent in the end and who would be cast from the 'royal' class and put into the 'great company' class.

GREAT COMPANY--This Side the Vail.::Q314:3:: QUESTION (1913)--3--Is there any Great Company class on this side of the vail and is there any separation between the Little Flock and the Great Company on this side?

ANSWER. --We tried to say last evening there is no separation, no two classes at the present time, and it would be quite improper for you or I or any others of God's people to try to say, This one belongs to the Great Company and that one to the Little Flock. No one decides that but the Lord Himself, and that apparently is left to the very close, therefore we think it would be quite improper to speak of two classes in the Church. "All ye are brethren." All come under one name. Seek to make your calling and election sure. No man can know nor say how well you are running in the race. Only God and you know how loyal you are, and the Apostle intimates that we might ourselves be fully confident as to how well we are doing.

http://www.ctrussell.us/ctrussell/ctrussell.nsf/22284ee7f683acc9862566bd000b278c/7eb1f715a1d615a706256451007bf7aa?OpenDocument

By Rutherford's time there was already an earthly 'Jonadab' class - those who were 'men of goodwill' and who were still part of Satan's organization/Christendom but did not sympathize with it (the 'sighing and groaning' bunch). These wouldn't partake, of course. But toward the mid-30s it was encouraged that these Jonadabs (although not counted as Jehovah's witnesses for many years to come) should make a dedication/consecration to the Lord.

Then finally in 1935, the secondary heavenly class - the Great Company - who normally would have been partaking every year, was merged with the earthly Jonadab class, i.e. the concept of a secondary heavenly class evaporated after Rutherford's momentous convention address. So if anybody was taking the emblems on trust but felt a little 'unworthy' or that they were not quite doing their best, they would automatically default to the new all-in-one earth-bound Jonadab/Great Company class and stop partaking.

GREAT COMPANY--Re Serving as Priests. ::Q306:1:: QUESTION (1910)--l--Are the Great Company Priests in the service of holy things?

ANSWER. --No, they are not priests. They were accepted as priests. The picture is a double one. But the priesthood God is providing is one that belongs to the future, that is, the spiritual priesthood; the Royal Priesthood is future. We now speak of ourselves as members of the Royal Priesthood, but not in the actual sense; you are now probationary members to see whether or not you will be worthy of being members of the Royal Priesthood. The members of the Royal Priesthood will be those who will share with Jesus in his resurrection, the first resurrection. "Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection; on such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years." But the Great Company are those that after having consecrated and proposed to take the proper steps to which they were called as priests fail to take the steps and therefore they will not be priests in the future. They are now in with us, and it is not for you and for me to determine who are the priests, and who are performing their sacrifices properly; that is for the Lord to determine. In this company there may be some who will be Priests and some who will be Levites, and will not attain to worthiness for the priesthood. But it is not for me or for you to make a distinction and say, You are not a Priest, but you are a Levite. The Lord did not give us any such authority. So we now speak of ourselves together. You consecrated and are going on but I don't know whether you are making your sacrifice properly or not, and you do not know about mine.

http://www.ctrussell.us/ctrussell/ctrussell.nsf/22284ee7f683acc9862566bd000b278c/7eb1f715a1d615a706256451007bf7aa?OpenDocument

This is probably an over-simplification, but that's how I understand what happened, anyway.

• garybuss
    garybuss

You wrote: "how did he manage to convince people to STOP partaking of the emblems?"

I wasn't aware the great multitude of the unwashed were invited to the memorial. Were they?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit