Hey, You Masters of War

by TheOldHippie 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Introspection
    Introspection
    In case there are some uneducated window-washers amongst you, who do not speak the language fluently, I will just give you the main points:

"We're not worthy! We're not worthy! We're dumb, we suck.." -Wayne and Garth, Waynes World

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Gweedo,

You said,

Well, Hippster...welcome to the age of video game wars where you can fly at 10,000 ft and drop bombs all day and not feel a god damn thing. People will be watching this war on CNN with pop corn in hand cheering as a top view lines up some cross hairs on some poor bastards house and blows it to kingdom come. A generation of disconnected Arm chair commandos we are.

Nothing can be farther from the truth. This war will NOT be fought from 10,000 feet nor will it be seen on CNN. This war will be fought by Special Operation troops, on the ground, up close and VERY PERSONAL. Most of what occurs will never be known by the general population. I've had the distinct privelege of working with the warriors who will do these missions. They are true mench REAL MEN. Men with honor and courage and a sense of loyalty and duty that is unmatched in the world.

What should we do, so many have asked. We do what is necessary to eliminate terrorism. If we don't answer these people with the only language they understand, the next time it will be a nuclear bomb going off in NYC.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• Englishman
    Englishman

Englishman.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

OH,

Thanks for the sobering reality you bring to us here in the US of A.

I think a lot of American's because of the internet are getting the world picture a lot better than not too many years ago.

If someone lived a trillion X longer than you, and had a billion X more reasoning ability would he come to the same conclusions as you?
  • GWEEDO
    GWEEDO

yeru..

This war will NOT be fought from 10,000 feet nor will it be seen on CNN.

10,000ft...no kidding. But if you think there aint gunna be air strikes and some TV time your kidding yourself too. Either way, that wasn't my point so i'll move on.

What should we do, so many have asked. We do what is necessary to eliminate terrorism

Which is no answer at all. A nice little orwellism

If we don't answer these people with the only language they understand, the next time it will be a nuclear bomb going off in NYC.

I'm Glad your so sure you can eliminate terrorism with a gun...nice and surgical like, with a handful of special ops and no civilian deaths to count. Sounds too good to be true, why don't i buy it.

I think your war on terrorism will only cause more 'blowback' --retaliation from terrorists.

Englishman,

Whats with vandalising the US flag there. I think the union jack is on enough flags these days aint it...

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

English,
    The war we fight is not like the one England has had to fight with the Irish. I'm sorry the British approach with the IRA and the Unionists has failed so horribly, hopefully the new approach will work better. The IRA and the unionists are tough foes, then again neither of those groups are much on suicide bombings, etc. What we face with OBL and this group of terrorists are folks who if they can get their hands on a nuke, would not hesitate to use it.

Will there be bomb strikes and TV coverage, yes. Will there be civilian casualties, yes. However, the majority of this war will be intelligence gathering and Special Ops. I don't foresee indiscriminate bombing, which would only hurt our cause.

What will suceed is trying to improve the lot of the people from which these terrorists are recruited, and neutralizing or eliminating the likes of OBL.

Just my humble opinion.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

Oldhippie posts sentiments from the European/Mederterraian. IMO the European's forget who started this Jihad. Very early in history the Crusades sought out and killed thousands of innocents for their belief system. How many minutes do they intend to have a silent moment for those lost to the Crusades? How many minutes for the inocents killed During the revolution? How many for those innocents killed in other wars? Yes the US IMO HAS commited atrocities, JUST as all countrys have. And until its in the Europeans face which I believe the Terroists will attack or try to, just as the European Ministers Just announced today on CNN " We believe we are targets and are stepping up security measures".

My thought is until ( which I hope will never happen) this same type of attack happens on their homeland they will not know the pain,grief and conflicting feeling that pass through ones mind. So I am grief striken again that people believe we brought this on ourselves. ALL COUNTRIES ALL NATIONALITIES HAVE COMMITED SINS OF TYRANNY that they have to live with and reconcile in their own way.

The Crusades were expeditions undertaken, in fulfilment of a solemn vow, to deliver the Holy Places from Mohammedan tyranny.

The origin of the word may be traced to the cross made of cloth and worn as a badge on the outer garment of those who took part in these enterprises. Medieval writers use the terms crux (pro cruce transmarina, Charter of 1284, cited by Du Cange s.v. crux), croisement (Joinville), croiserie (Monstrelet), etc. Since the Middle Ages the meaning of the word crusade has been extended to include all wars undertaken in pursuance of a vow, and directed against infidels, i.e. against Mohammedans, pagans, heretics, or those under the ban of excommunication. The wars waged by the Spaniards against the Moors constituted a continual crusade from the eleventh to the sixteenth century; in the north of Europe crusades were organized against the Prussians and Lithuanians; the extermination of the Albigensian heresy was due to a crusade, and, in the thirteenth century the popes preached crusades against John Lackland and Frederick II. But modern literature has abused the word by applying it to all wars of a religious character, as, for instance, the expedition of Heraclius against the Persians in the seventh century and the conquest of Saxony by Charlemagne.

The idea of the crusade corresponds to a political conception which was realized in Christendom only from the eleventh to the fifteenth century; this supposes a union of all peoples and sovereigns under the direction of the popes. All crusades were announced by preaching. After pronouncing a solemn vow, each warrior received a cross from the hands of the pope or his legates, and was thenceforth considered a soldier of the Church. Crusaders were also granted indulgences and temporal privileges, such as exemption from civil jurisdiction, inviolability of persons or lands, etc. Of all these wars undertaken in the name of Christendom, the most important were the Eastern Crusades, which are the only ones treated in this article.

DIVISION

It has been customary to describe the Crusades as eight in number:

the first, 1095-1101;
    the second, headed by Louis VII, 1145-47;
    the third, conducted by Philip Augustus and Richard Coeur-de-Lion, 1188-92;
    the fourth, during which Constantinople was taken, 1204;
    the fifth, which included the conquest of Damietta, 1217;
    the sixth, in which Frederick II took part (1228-29); also Thibaud de Champagne and Richard of Cornwall (1239);
    the seventh, led by St. Louis, 1249-52;
    the eighth, also under St. Louis, 1270.
    This division is arbitrary and excludes many important expeditions, among them those of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. In reality the Crusades continued until the end of the seventeenth century, the crusade of Lepanto occurring in 1571, that of Hungary in 1664, and the crusade of the Duke of Burgundy to Candia, in 1669. A more scientific division is based on the history of the Christian settlements in the East; therefore the subject will be considered in the following order:

I. Origin of the Crusades;
    II. Foundation of Christian states in the East;
    III. First destruction of the Christian states (1144-87);
    IV. Attempts to restore the Christian states and the crusade against Saint-Jean d'Acre (1192-98);
    V. The crusade against Constantinople (1204);
    VI. The thirteenth-century crusades (1217-52);
    VII. Final loss of the Christian colonies of the East (1254-91);
    VIII. The fourteenth-century crusade and the Ottoman invasion;
    IX. The crusade in the fifteenth century;
    X. Modifications and survival of the idea of the crusade

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10424a.htm

C

When the pain of being where we are, becomes greater than our fear of letting go...we will risk and heal and grow.

• Patriot
    Patriot

Yeah..oldhippie,huh?

Your comments reminds me of the kind of reasoning that went around the same time as the vietnam era (according to my Dad, I was too young to remember).
    It was thinking like that that left him and his squad out there by themselves. Out of 15 only 3 came back, him included.

You think thats what we want? You think kicking Iraqs ass was out of line? What about Yugoslavia? Somalia?

It's easy to criticize while we sit back at home and watch everything on CNN as most of the people do. Put on a flak jacket and kevlar, load your M-16 and jump out of a perfectly good aircraft at 3500ft. into a country so barren and where your greeting party is armed with hate and ak-47s and you just might have a different view of things.

See frankly the US needs not the sympathy of other countries. Our greatest allies will always back us-thats enough.
    This is a mission that will take time. Of course people will start to lose interest and countries will think that enough is enough, but again and with no disrespect, we will say thanks for your help anyway.

Being prior military, I can tell you that Yerusalyim is right. I can almost guarantee that Spec. Ops is in place and conducting
    Recon missions. They will seek out targets and "tag" them for our Air force to destroy. This is done to minimize unnecessary casualties.

The "Chief cowboy" might make statements that you don't understand, but then again you don't have to. Try to run a country of this magnitude and you just might understand.

This has nothing to do with feeling "cow-boyish". This has to do with eliminating a possible threat that endangers our way of life. We will not stand for it, no matter how long no matter what it takes.

Mav.-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit