Voting

by Peter 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Peter
    Peter

I'm voting in a national election for the first time in over 20 years. It feels good to be part of the process once more.

I'm wondering how the rest of you feel about it. Are you voting? Did you feel a little guilty the first time you became part of "this old system of things" again (or for the first time)? Who did you vote for?

As for me, I did feel a little funny back in the summer when I took an interest in the election, but now it seems quite natural. At the risk of ticking off those Republicans among us, I voted for Bush.

Peter

• AhHah
    AhHah

Peter,

I agree completely. It feels very good to be more responsible. No guilt whatsoever!

You may enjoy reading the thread "Political Statements of Value" -- last post dated Oct. 19, 2000.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I found the voting discussion at witnet interesting. Most people realize that in some way who is in power, especially in the most influential country in the world, impacts the religion to some degree. Usually one party or another will be more favourable to the interests of the religion.

I wonder why if someone will be voted in anyway, what harm could there be in endorsing the party most beneficial to their interests? I fail to see how one's voting is misconstrued as betraying a higher allegience to God.

Someone must run the country, someone WILL be voted in. Why should not the "true" Christians decide who will be most favourable, the lesser of two evils?

If the "superior authorities stand placed in their relative positions by God", should not the true faith be free to cast a vote, or does it make sense to leave it all up to the pagans?

In a country such as France, would it not make more sense to vote against the present government and their unfavourable policies, than to do nothing but fight the present government in courts and through information campaignes?

I see voting as a possible way to do our part in endeavoring to go on "living a calm and quiet life".

Perhaps this QFR article, while confusing for many at the moment, has laid the groundwork for future softening of the policy.

Path

• TR
    TR

Peter,

Why would you tick off Republicans voting for Bush?

Anyhoo, I've been voting for two years now. There's some important initiatives here in Wa. state. I couldn't pass it up.

TR

• Angharad
    Angharad

Simon and myself voted for the first time a few months ago in the local council election. It did feel good doing our little bit.

We will definately be voting in the next general election - every little bit helps towards getting rid of that pratt Tony Blair

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

What kind of an election in a country with that many people is this close? It seems almost rediculous. Its almost funny to think that all those Witnesses who weren't permitted to vote, could have actually chosen the President on this one.

Path

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Path:
    Do you think it's because these two men are so well liked that people have a tough time deciding which one they want? OR: Is it that they can't make up their minds which one they like the least?!?!

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I don't really know. But I was told by someone that voting for who you think is the "coolest" is not how to do it.

Path

• Peter
    Peter

Oops. I meant Gore, damn it, Gore. I must get confused because they both have four letters in their name.

Hmm. I wonder if some people made the same mistake in the voting booth?

Maybe we should have a new election and make Gore and Bush change their names to something less confusing to the likes or me. How about Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee?

• AhHah
    AhHah

This Gush/Bore campaign is anything but Boring!

Angharad, what is a "pratt"? What is the dissatisfaction with Tony Blair these days?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit