Regrets for becoming a JW

by sinis 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sinis
    sinis

Well, I have been thinking lately how F@cked the JW have left me, in a sense, though I was raised in the "truth". First off, my grandfather was DF'd when I was 12, will never forget as it was the first night I gave a talk on the school. He was DF'd for chewing tabacco. I never talked to him and even rarely saw him until he died when I was 21. Then I had full scholarships to ANY school in this country, some very prestigous. My JW fruitcake step mom never let me go, even the pioneers used to tell me to throw the certificates away as that was rfrom Satan. Never played sports, never went to a prom, never went to parties, never played with the "wordly" kids of the neighborhood, never dated until I was "sure" I wanted to get married. So many lost memories and doors that I NEVER opened and were denied me. No need to plan for a retirement since this system is soooooooo close to the end (though that has changed now).

So, years later my father who used to be aan elder steps down, I quit going also. The good thing is I decied to go back to school, on my dime and a degree though I'm happy with may not have been my first choice years ago. Not only that but now I have to merge into a job market half way through life whereas as a younger man it would have been far easier, with a longer time frame to do it in.

I basically don't give a shit anymore and have looked into the occult, smoked cigars :) and done whatever the hell I feel like now which were big taboos under the JW regime. What pains me the most is the loss of my grandfather so many years ago, and the lost opportunity to really know him, as well as how he may have felt for being shunned. The loss of the future I wanted as well.

So I live for the day and future but the regrets truely haunt me. Anyone else have regrets for what the bastards did?

• mouthy
    mouthy

Anyone else have regrets for what the bastards did?

But you see they are not B......ds. They have a Father & it is the devil. Yes I have a LOT of regrets, but looking back isnt going to help those feelings ( although like you I do on occasions)They just make us sad. I wouldnt do all the things they forbid, Like smoking, drunkness etc...Because I believe we do have a Creator- & I believe he died that I might live more abundently.... You sound like you have many talents.... Use them to go on with your life. Who knows maybe you will be able to tell Grand-dad one day about the mix up...You dont know HIS heart....But God did.(((((HUGS)))

• sinis
    sinis

Thanks. I appreciate it. I don't get drunk as I have never been a drinker ;) but on the same token I have removed myself completely from Christanity, I consider myself a deist at this point. I don't think any thing special will happen when I die as I feel this life is it. If I'm wrong than great, I'm all for a better life/future. What I do find is that because of there silly freaking policy I suffered as did my family, unbeknownst to them. What is even MORE aggrevating is the fact that they continue to f&ck so many more over, and they blindly follow this crap.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Yes sinis it is wicked

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I have often thought what my life could have been like if I hadn't listened to the jws who called on me not long after I finished university. I'm sure I'd have had a better career, as I'd have pursued my original ambition to be a teacher. I would quite probably have married my then boyfriend, had kids, my own home, things most of my friends at the time did.

Becoming a jw robbed me of those things, but even so I'm not that regretful. I am with a wonderful man who I met when we were both jws, and happier than I've ever been. I doubt I'd have met him but for becoming a jw. I am still very hopeful of becoming a teacher in the next year, I will certainly be married, so though I won't have kids now, I can still acieve most of the things I was looking forward to pre - jw.

• moshe
    moshe

I got involved with the JW's in 1971 - I was 21. looking back later I realized I missed out on about 6 good years of - Disco!!!

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Trust me Mosha, you didn't miss anything when it comes to disco.

Sinis. We're in the same boat, I just achieved my degree this year and I too ended up doing something I might not have done when younger. I am now 49 and in ill health. I don't have much earning potential due to this and the frustration sets in now and then. I try to realize that whatever life I have left is truly mine. I own it and no allegiance to dogma or organizations can reclaim it. I look for things I can excel at and go after them full force.

Find your thing and do it. Look forward, not back. It's not always easy, I know this from experience, but its worth it. It takes discipline to just blow off the negative thoughts and memories. I just say to myself, "I won't get fooled again."

Are you watching Heroes? What a great show.

Good luck.

Down with religious zealotry and tyrants.

W.Once

• greendawn
    greendawn

Your story is very typical of ex JWs we heard it many times, no doubt being a JW is a very barren affair and all for no good reason, it's just a con since the promised reward never arrives while the expense made upon anticipating it remains. The dreary expense was made on the instigation of the fraudulent FDS.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Sinus you asked:

So I live for the day and future but the regrets truely haunt me. Anyone else have regrets for what the bastards did?

Everyday. Its hard to shake off. I feel as children and teenagers we had our "spirit" broken. Despite all the positives in my life since then, there always seems to be an underlying sadness with every laugh or smile. I have spoken to other cousins of mine and they say the same thing.

It's great you got back to school! Good for you and best wishes for your new adventures.

r.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I feel the same way. I left all of my friends and the only happiness I ever had in life when I left Kentucky in 1995. I left because of money problems due to not having any career or education. It was the only time in my life when I was truly happy, and I wish that I had never been raised a JW, and that I had went to college so I wouldnt have been forced to leave Kentucky. I feel just as isolated now as I did when I was a JW growing up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit