cancer again

by Mulan 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

Many of you know that my cousin and best friend, Sharon, died in September 2001 at age 59, after a 3 year battle with breast cancer.

Now, another of our cousins (she is 56, the same age Sharon was at her diagnosis) has breast cancer on both sides. She had surgery a week ago, and just learned she has to have more. It's still good news. She discovered it very early so they only did lumpectomies, and she doesn't have to have chemo therapy. They found more in her MRI, so have to do a little more extracting.

It's so frightening to me, but I went for my checkups last week, and all seems to be well. My doctor told me the genetic marker passes from mother to daughter, not son to daughter. Both of my cousins are daughters of my Dad's sisters. So.........if their cancer is from a gene, I probably don't have it. No one in my mother's family has ever had cancer of any kind. Whew! I'm 61 so that seems to be good too.

Results on the mammogram are not in yet, but my doctor said she was sure it would be normal.

Just sharing.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Mulan,

My mom is almost a 20 year survivor of very aggressive Breast Cancer. She had to have a radical masectomy. She did not have any chemo, and was on the drug Tamoxiphen.....she quit that after 6 months.

The doctors attributed it to the loss of her son 10 years before it was discovered and she was even asked at the diagnosis, "what happened 10 years ago?"

On the other hand as a child she had the job of spraying the cattle with DDT and would walk behind clouds of it as she sprayed. It is well known that these chemicals lodge in fat cells of the human body and women's breasts are just that.

Hope all goes well,....It's not always the genes. Let us know, you will be in my thoughts.

• Mary
    Mary

Mulan it's so scary.......and I'm glad your cousin caught it early. One of my co-workers went for her mamogram a few months ago and they discovered a malignancy in her breast. She's had surgery and radiation so far. She emailed yesterday and told me that seeing as her cancer was estrogen dominant, she's also going to have her ovaries removed.

I read that about 20% of all cancers is genetically inherited. That's the case with a sister from my old Hall. Both her parents had cancer and her sister died of cancer and now she's dying of cancer. I went and saw her and was so depressed afterwards I just came home and cried and cried.....it brought back all the memories of when I was first diagnosed and brought back the fear that it may return.

Even though you may not be genitically predisposed to cancer, I'm glad to hear that you're getting yourself checked out. You can never be too careful.....I hope your cousin makes a full recovery.

• Seeking Knowledge
    Seeking Knowledge

Hi Mulan:

I'm sorry to hear about your cousins. My mother, who is 63 was just diagnosed with a small cancer in her left breast. She goes in for a lumpectomy next week. Needless to say we are on pins & needles, but the doctors are optomistic as it is not an aggressive cancer.

My mother is one of the strongest people I know and seems very positive about the whole thing. We joke that if she were bleeding from a major artery, she'd tell us "not to worry, it's just a scratch" This from a woman who suffered a stroke 2 years ago & just had some skin cancer removed as well (got it all), and is also having problems from heart surgery a year ago. Through it all she's doesn't want an of us "fussing". As her only daughter, this certainly makes me more aware of things for myself.

I hope your cousin gets better & also gets a clean bill of health.

SK

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I guess any cancer in the family is going to put you on alert but good for you for getting those mams pressed

• Undecided
    Undecided

My mom died with cancer that started in her breast but spread all over her body. She had one brother that died of cancer but the other 11 of her brothers and sisters haven't had cancer. None of my dad's family had cancer.

I hope for the best for your family.

Ken P.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

(((mulan)))

• hubert
    hubert

Mulan, Sorry to hear your cousin has breast cancer, but happy to hear she was smart and had it diagnosed in time. Must be scary when it's genetic like that.

Glad to hear you are not in that category, too.

Hubert

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

M - it sure does make you feel for your cousins. I'm sorry for their families and for you, everyone is affected from this illness. I sure hope you stay well.

• codeblue
    codeblue

(((Mulan)))

I know that is very disturbing news. So sorry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit