JW Children and the absence of Christmas

by Clam 43 Replies latest jw friends

• XU
    XU

I always had to go to the library. I went to the same school K-6 so the kids knew the deal. Sometimes they got jealous because I got to make a peacock instead of a turkey out of paper, or sugar flowers instead of sugar eggs. I think Christmas was pretty much out though. I hated being different. It screws with me to this day. I still think I'm different than a normal human. I tell my husband I wasn't raised human because none of my normal human, native intelligence was allowed to develop. I didn't really care about not getting presents or not believing in Santa, but I wanted to be able to just exist and hang out. I still feel like I'll never be able to make up for my underdevelopment.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

It was never a big deal to me. I always liked being different and felt superior because of it. I'm a bit of a contrarian anyway and always seem to be in the minority on many issues. Probably just part of my dysfunctional peronality!

I would go to either the principal's office and work (seriously, filing, taking down bulletin boards, just hanging out with the principal) or go to the library. Funny thing, I think being a JW kid and being forced to interact with adults on a regular basis at the KH helped me to forge good relationships with the teachers/princpal and most of my teachers would stick up for me. I was a pretty good student and never caused them grief, so that helped. As a matter of fact, the one teacher that really hated the JWs got reamed by my principal (who was a great guy).The time spent being the only JW kid in that school taught me some valuable lessons that I carry with me.

I'm sure I would have enjoyed the celebrations, but don't think it had any major impact on me.

• mama1119
    mama1119

I remember the feeling all too well. I hated leaving the classroom while the other kids watched Chrismas movies or did Christmas crafts. We had to go sit alone in an empty classroom and watch the clock. One time I had to stay in the classroom during Rudolph and so I had to put my head down on the desk the whole time. I felt so stupid, but I knew I would feel too guilty if I watched it. I would not be able to do that to my kids knowing how it made me feel. Thank goodness I know better now!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I used to take my kids to Disneyland or another theme park on Xmas or Thanksgiving. No lines and they didn't feel so bad about not having the usual thing. Of cource, now that they are grown we all do a real Christmas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit