RE: "Special Meeting"

by Quandary 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Quandary
    Quandary

I'm very surprised that my family has not heard about this "Special Meeting". We are a 3rd generation JW family, dad is the PO, mom has been a reg pio for 25 yrs, brother is a bethelite. Can anyone tell me the date of this supposed "special meeting" and if there is a Chicagoland location.

Thanks

• AlanF
    AlanF

It's Sunday, October 7, the day after the annual business meeting. It's been kept very hush-hush, apparently so as to avoid hurt feelings from the majority of JWs who weren't invited. For the most part, only Bethelites with 20 years or more service were given tickets. However, they were also given a number of extra tickets, based again on length of service, to invite any JW they chose. This is the situation, apparently, only in some areas since in other areas the entire community of JWs was invited. Part of the limitation appears to be that it's not possible or practical to rent enough assembly halls in the autumn to accomodate all JWs.

AlanF

• Quandary
    Quandary

Thanks AlanF for your input.

Does anyone know if there is going to be one in the Chicagoland area?

• eby
    eby

A congregation in NW Indiana is attending the meeting at the Silverdome near Detroit. Chicago would be much closer if there was such a meeting being held there. FWIW
    eby

• Quandary
    Quandary

Thanks Eby

It will be very interesting to read up on the news from this "special" event.

I don't understand what the Society is trying to accomplish with all the secrecy surrounding this meeting. These are the things that feed the egos of the "pharisees" amongst us. I can just hear some of the "chosen" ones gloating over the fact they were invited. Personally, I could care less about sitting through yet ANOTHER meeting. My family and I, including my uncle and aunt overseas who serve in a foreign branch have always maintained a very low profile as we go about our service, never expecting acclamations for what we feel is our duty to perform. One of my dad's favorite texts is Ruth 2:12 "May Jehovah reward the way you act..." and this is his motto. I'm having a harder time lately dealing with all the pompous, over-righteous "boys" than I've had in the past. This event just gives them more fuel. Oh well-
    Q

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

secrecy??....hardly,
    I got my tix did you?...would you like the society to
    publish .."special meeting held, but your not invited"...despite what you wish to believe, many dubs would like to go but dont car if they arent invited..how many do you know get "stumbled" over not
    being invited to the annual meeting.

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

I will be tape-recording it in it's entirety. As long as the tapes and batteries hold out.

If there is anything that can be used against them, then too bad they didn't have their rights read out to them.

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

I have a friend who is attending says she will be staying at the Mariott secretly because the Society has banned that hotel from it's members without reprisals. She will wear her badge after she leaves the hotel. She doesn't want to be turned in or as she say "I don't want them to come after me". This doesn't sound like a Christian religion to me. More like a secret society of a cult.

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

ARoarer -

Why is Marriott banned?

closer

Mean People Produce
    Little Mean People

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

I'm sure because they pissed the regonal commitee off in some way - didn't give the rates they wanted, no kickbacks, whatever. It always seemed the best hotels were on the 'banned' list. And no good little JW would want to be seen in an apostate hotel now would they?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit