"You must not boil a kid in its mother's milk" - Huh?

by AlmostAtheist 28 Replies latest jw friends

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    "You must not boil a kid in its mother's milk"

Well yes... you see this would be in direct conflict with the edenic and antidiluvian command to go forth and fill the earth. Nasty business on the population what with boiling kids and all.

Additionally the amount of milk required to boil even an infant would be astronomical It would have to be a community effort to milk the poor ol' lady. With all of the breast touching that would necessarily go on it could easily turn into an orgy, something that joehovah strictly forbids. Even if it did not end up in a full scale bender, how would the older men at the gate know who was really just milking the broad and who was fondling???? See you gotta think these things out AA.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>> Jehovah was here steering his people clear of the senseless and hurtful practices of the heathen nations round about.

Now THAT's funny! Jehovah floods the world and kills every animal on the planet except the handful that won a cruise with Noah, then he orders the Israelites to slaughter an animal every 15 minutes or so to atone for various sins, but he's concerned about the heathen nations and *their* "senseless" practices?!?

Sweet, sweet irony...

Dave

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>See you gotta think these things out AA.

Dude, I am humbled. Truly, his thoughts are higher than my thoughts!

Dave

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

While it's been alluded to here some seem to be missing this point. A baby goat is called a kid. We're not talking about human babies here.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here is the text in question, from Wyatt's translation:

"Let me invoke the gra[cious] gods ... Let them give a feast [to those] of high rank in the wilderness at the end of the world ... Eat from any of the food, and drink from the vat any wine. Greetings, kings, greetings, queen, priests, and temple-victuallers! The lord and master [i.e. either the god El or Mot] sat enthroned, in his hand the staff of sterility, in his hand the staff of widowhood. Those who prine the vine pruned him, those who bind the vine bound him, and let his tendril [i.e. foreskin] fall like a vine. Now the steppe, the vast steppe is the steppe of Asherah and Rahmay. Over a fire seven times the choristers of fine voice boil gd in milk and mint in butter, and over the cauldron seven times let incense be burned" (KTU 1.23 R 1-15).

Here the ceremony held on behalf of the gods Shalem and Shahar (the gracious gods) involves the women of the choir boiling gd in milk. The main question is what is meant by this word. If it means "kid," then we would have independent evidence that such an act occured in the context of a polytheistic ritual. Wyatt considers however this rendering to be unlikely. Hebrew g e dî would correspond to Ugaritic gdy, not gd, whereas gd would better fit Hebrew gad "coriander". And that fits the context much better, since the next line that occurs in a parallelism with the first is "mint in butter". So perhaps this text isn't as good as it first sounds.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Maybe, like some here, Jehovah just thought it was "icky".

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

The WTS sets this useless commandment up as a lesson of compassion. What a strange god they worship!

Dave

• RR
    RR

I have two kids, one I'm itching to boil!

• Kudra
    Kudra

mm, I think that is a general rule the Israelites had about not overtaxing the resources. A Jewish friend and I were talking about that and she said that that rule about not using BOTH the milk AND the meat from your small group of goats was a measure to cause the Israelites to use restraint when utilizing their animals.

-K

• joe_black
    joe_black

The women in those days must of been producing quite a bit of leche, must of been some outrageous squirting goin on, lol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit