"You must not boil a kid in its mother's milk" - Huh?

by AlmostAtheist 28 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

"You must not boil a kid in its mother's milk" - Huh? Why on earth did God feel the need to point this out? Was this a popular thing to do? Anybody ever looked into this?

I recall the Watchtower running some lame line about this being a lesson in compassion or some such nonsense. It's an awfully awkward way to go about teaching such a lesson, if so.

Kinda upsetting, since I've broken all the other commandments and this one stands out there, mocking me! "Neh, neh, you can't break me!"

Dave

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

This scripture is the basis of the Kosher prohibition on eating milk (or dairy products) with meat. I googled it, and most of the references are discussions of why or why not it is reasonable to extrapolate the specific instructions to all meat and all milk.

One theory is that it referred to an Egyptian and Canaanite fertility ritual, and that is why it was forbidden.

http://www.seedofabraham.net/kosher.html#2

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

lol dave! thanks, i was just going to have a bowl of cereal too.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>thanks, i was just going to have a bowl of cereal too.

Enjoy a bowl of Kiddie-O's! Boiled in its mother's milk to lock in that fresh baby-goat flavor! Increases fertility*!

Part of a balanced breakfast.

* These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. Kiddie-O's is not meant to treat any illness or disease, or promote fertility.
  • SixofNine
    SixofNine

It was the first thing I did when I got out, even before post marital sex and tattoos. Le'me tellya, there's nothing better than a tender La cabra hervida del niño en la leche de madre.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

ew!! i knew i should not have opened this thread again, LOL!

well, maybe it is good for me, learning jehovah's righteous commandments, and whatnot. thanks brother dave!

• I.Wonder
    I.Wonder

w65 2/15 Questions From Readers

?

WhatisthesignificanceofthecommandfoundinExodus23:19,"Youmustnotboilakidinitsmother’smilk"?

This statute, in common with a number of others, seems to emphasize that there is a proper and fitting order in all matters, and that this should be adhered to. God provided the milk of the mother for the purpose of nourishing her young. To use it to boil her offspring would be using it to its harm and its death, the very opposite of that intended.

Another lesson that seems to be here intended for his covenant people is that they should be compassionate, not acting in a heartless manner. Jehovah has shown himself to be compassionate in all his dealings with his creatures, and he calls upon them to emulate his perfect example.

Still another possibility is that Jehovah was here steering his people clear of the senseless and hurtful practices of the heathen nations round about. According to TheBibleandArchaeology (1940) by Sir Frederic Kenyon, the seething or boiling of a kid in its mother’s milk was a pagan ritual for producing rain.

I did a quick search and found an article that was quite interesting (imo). It discusses several reasons why this statute may have been given. Here is the link for those interested. http://members.bib-arch.org/nph-proxy.pl/000000A/http/www.basarchive.org/bswbBrowse.asp=3fPubID=3dBSBR&Volume=3d1&Issue=3d3&ArticleID=3d9&UserID=3d0

I.Wonder

I heard that this is considered a delicacy in some places. EWWWWWWW!!

• I.Wonder
    I.Wonder

The link I posted will not take you directly to the article (I have no idea why). However IF you do want to read it, just click the link I provided. Once the page opens you can click on "Search" and access the article by typing in the name of it in the "Title" field. I tried it and worked for me. The title of the article is “You Shall Not Boil a Kid in Its Mother’s Milk”.

I.Wonder

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I had it explained to me that it was supposed to prevent unnecessary cruelty.

It makes sense if you think about it. Boiling a kid in its mother's milk is kind of horrible. The milk was not provided to make life easy for any predator of the poor animal. The milk was provided to nourish the animal. It was not provided to be an instrument of death. In other words, it was bad enough the animal is used for food, but not to do it in such a way to show lack of reverence for life.

By the way, I am not a vegetarian.

LHG

• M.J.
    M.J.

Ok, can I kill the kid first and THEN boil it in the milk?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit