reasoning with a JW on myspace

by Sam87 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sam87
    Sam87

Ok so im still talking to this JW over myspace, and i seem to have hit a stump

this is what i sent him...............

hello again, just thought id message you to see if you got my last message about this quote, as ive been having problems with myspace at the moment, my apoligies if you have already recieved it.

"...the ‘battle of the great day of God Almighty' (Revelation 16:14), which will end in A.D. 1914 with the complete overthrow of earth's present rulership, is already commenced." The Time Is at Hand, page 101 (1908 edition).

just wondering what you think of this quote? it is clearly stated what was said to happen, and it clearly didnt happen.

Any of your thoughts on this matter would be apreciated.

Respectfully,

From Sam.

==========================================

then he sent me this...

1908?
    when was the flock cleansed... 1919?

1914 was definitely the year Satan was cast down to earth though; see Revelation 12:10-12

----------------------------------------------------------

any sugestions on what to say next? what he said doesnt really combat with ''which will end in A.D. 1914 with the complete overthrow of earth's present rulership, is already commenced."

is it just me or does this quote say the end WILL be here by 1914? I keep telling him that its false prophecy, but he doesnt listen, any ideas how i can really hit this quote home to him? If so i would really like to hear them

thank you, from Sam87

• drew sagan
  • drew sagan
    drew sagan

Well, IMO there is really only one way to stump a JW. A great article in the Watchtower of March 1990 had a discussion of everything JWs where doing right in 1918 to be selected and chosen by Jesus. The amazing part about this article is that when you go back into their history you will find that they where doing absolutely none of the things they said they where. In fact it can be shown that they not only where not doing the things on their own list, but they where doing some things terribly bad.

A great article on the subject can be found at: JW Files

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

Maybe some of the additional quotes here would help highlight what you are trying to point out... http://www.reexamine.org/quotes/1914.htm

~Merry

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Hit em with all the other false prophecies

especially the consistent year in year out "this generation" one that fizzed like the rest of them

• Sam87
    Sam87

thanks guys! this has helped heaps, ive been hitting him with everything, the UN scandel, Blood, 1987, all of the big guns, and he just dodges around them all! its amazing the way someone can be so narrow minded! it really shows me how the borg have brainwashed everyone, he still beleives completely in the borg even after all the proof ive given him that they arnt what they seem! oh well, i guess ill keep trying...

thanks again,

from sam.

• Sam87
    Sam87

oops, just realised i said 1987, i meant the 1975 expectation, damnit i hate typos, oh well i guess i just made an A$$ of myself! lol

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

The JW with knowledge of the 1919 flock cleansing doctrine will argue anything said before that date is subject to being wrong. Really the only thing important that happened that year was Rutherford wrestling control of the Watchtower and showing all Russell followers the door.

A JW will dodge all questions they can't answer, that is how they know they are right. When they are in doubt, the old stand-by "wait on Jah" kicks in.

• TheListener
    TheListener

There are other things after 1919 that you can show him. Highlight the 1925 date. Show him the text from the talk and/or "Millions Now Living Will Never Die" which talks about 1874 and 1925. I know the millions talk was given prior to 1919 but the book came out in 1920 and subsequent wt and golden age articles reprinted the text and restated the 1925 date.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Ask him this:

When Jesus sent the helper to his apostles and said it would be with them until the end of the system of things what did he mean?

Did he mean it would disappear at some point only to be sent again at 1919? or 1914?

If he didn't mean that then why didn't God's directed organization, of which russell was the faithful and discreet slave, have god's holy spirit and get things right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit