Need a scan of old Awake!

by Shepherd Book 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

Hi, I'm hoping someone can post a scan (or email me) of the December 22, 1951 article entitled "Noah's Passender List". I believe it's on pages 14-16. This is for a huge research project I am doing. The CD-Rom doesn't go back that far.

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

• blondie
    blondie

Are you hunting based on this quote on the CD?

*** w57 5/15 p. 316 Appreciating Basic Christian Publications ***

Then, working in the service with a mature publisher, you meet a scoffer who has no confidence in the Bible and says that, for example, the account of the Flood is ridiculous because the ark could never have held all the animals. But the mature brother points out that this objection is not sound. The ark was from 450 to 547 feet long (depending upon which cubit was used in measuring), 75 to 91 feet wide, and 45 to 54 feet high—a sizable structure that allowed abundant room for the various animal "kinds" described in Genesis, and from which all the varieties we now know have sprung. Where did he get this Bible-vindicating information? Why, from "Noah’s Passenger List" in the December 22, 1951, Awake! Would you have remembered it?

• blondie
    blondie

it-1pp.164-165Ark*** (FYI)

Ample

CarryingCapacity. The passenger list of the ark was quite impressive. Besides Noah, his wife, his three sons, and their wives, living creatures "of every sort of flesh, two of each," were to be taken aboard. "Male and female they will be. Of the flying creatures according to their kinds and of the domestic animals according to their kinds, of all moving animals of the ground according to their kinds, two of each will go in there to you to preserve them alive." Of the clean beasts and fowls, seven of each kind were to be taken. A great quantity and variety of food for all these creatures, to last for more than a year, also had to be stowed away.—Ge 6:18-21; 7:2, 3.

The "kinds" of animals selected had reference to the clear-cut and unalterable boundaries or limits set by the Creator, within which boundaries creatures are capable of breeding "according to their kinds." It has been estimated by some that the hundreds of thousands of species of animals today could be reduced to a comparatively few family "kinds"—the horse kind and the cow kind, to mention but two. The breeding boundaries according to "kind" established by Jehovah were not and could not be crossed. With this in mind some investigators have said that, had there been as few as 43 "kinds" of mammals, 74 "kinds" of birds, and 10 "kinds" of reptiles in the ark, they could have produced the variety of species known today. Others have been more liberal in estimating that 72 "kinds" of quadrupeds and less than 200 bird "kinds" were all that were required. That the great variety of animal life known today could have come from inbreeding within so few "kinds" following the Flood is proved by the endless variety of humankind—short, tall, fat, thin, with countless variations in the color of hair, eyes, and skin—all of whom sprang from the one family of Noah.

These estimates may seem too restrictive to some, especially since such sources as TheEncyclopediaAmericana indicate that there are upwards of 1,300,000 species of animals. (1977, Vol. 1, pp. 859-873) However, over 60 percent of these are insects. Breaking these figures down further, of the 24,000 amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals, 10,000 are birds, 9,000 are reptiles and amphibians, many of which could have survived outside the ark, and only 5,000 are mammals, including whales and porpoises, which would have also remained outside the ark. Other researchers estimate that there are only about 290 species of land mammals larger than sheep and about 1,360 smaller than rats. (TheDelugeStoryinStone, by B. C. Nelson, 1949, p. 156; TheFloodintheLightoftheBible,Geology,andArchaeology, by A. M. Rehwinkel, 1957, p. 69) So, even if estimates are based on these expanded figures, the ark could easily have accommodated a pair of all these animals.

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

Blondie, you asked: "Are you hunting based on this quote...?"

The answer is no, although the information from the 1957 Watchtower is very interesting. I wanted this exact article because someone gave me this reference as an "answer" to the question of which species were on the ark. I assumed I could just look the article up on the CD-Rom, but evidently not.

• blondie
    blondie

I don't have these Awake volumes, but wait until later in the evening when some of the oldtimers come on.

Blondie

• NanaR
    NanaR

I have the Watchtower bound volume for 1951, but not the Awake. Sorry... NanaR

• rassillon
    rassillon

pm atlantis, he's got everything!

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

Okay, I've never done that before...but I'll try.

Thanks.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Shepherd Book:

Can you give us exactly what you are looking for because the Watchtower has a way of repeating itself, and they could have published the very same information later on in another article. My old 1951 Awake December issue needs to be replaced because it is to damaged to scan. Are you looking for certain types of animals that were taken on the ark? Clean or unclean animals by their numbers? Dinosaurs? There are a few articles on this subject.

Blondie gave you some good information! Are you sure she hasn't already given you some information that you can use? I can scan you parts of articles here and there that might give you what you need.

Let us know and we will do what we can!

Cheers! Atlantis-

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

Okay, a friend of mine who is still a Witness wrote to the Watchtower Society a few years ago asking questions about the flood. He showed me their response and I made a copy of it. I am trying to get a copy of all the articles that Watchtower references in their letter. So, I really want the article called "Noah's Passenger List", from 1951, regardless of whether the information has been repeated in more recent articles. I especially want to see if that article references other (non-Watchtower) sources and then I can research those too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit