Elder Scrolls Oblivion - Role Playing Games - Advice

by Crumpet 33 Replies latest social entertainment

• Mystla
    Mystla

I agree.. get a mouse that you like.. they aren't usually very expensive.

I've got Oblivion on my PC, but I haven't started it yet, been too busy with City of Hero's, Guild Wars, and WoW

Misty

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    handy glitch in the vampire quest where the count gives you unlimited money!)?

That one worked on the exbox. Sweet too! I'll never worry of money again

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Oh good another girl who likes rpgs - mystla - can you tell me what WOW is like - what is the premise of the game - how does it work etc? Am thinking of getting hold of that too...

Daniel-p - I don;t think you can light the fires! LOL! Anyway the house in Bruma is just a shack - get the mansion house Rosemont - far more spacious - nice comfy bed too!

• Mystla
    Mystla

I actually probably wouldn't recommend WoW. At least not the on-line version. (I haven't tried the non-on-line Warcraft) It's ok game wise, but it's so full of kids acting like idiots it drives me nuts. (one more naked gnome dancing in the middle of the auction house and I'll scream!) I tend to play it more in the middle of the night As far as On-line RPG's go I like guild wars better because every time you leave "town" you have to world to your self.. or at least to your group. . My husband and I play together which makes it more fun anyway. (we met in EQ, lol) Although..It seems to be more story line based that WoW.. which I'm not sure I like as well. He just got me into City of Hero's.. I normally prefer fantasy genre games but this superhero stuff is actually a lot of fun.

Not much help, am I

Mystla

• Mystla
    Mystla

I asked hubby how he would compair Wow to Elder Scrolls and he says... Wow has less character control, class based instead of skill based, quests are less story driven.. basically more level grind.. more MMO than RPG and you have to put up with a lot of idiots.. he also says that Elder Scrolls is probably the best series of RPG's out there.. followed by Neverwinter nights.

And he is THE expert

Misty

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

No that is a great help Mystla! What is EQ btw? You dont mean you met online do you? ;-)

I have never heard of Neverwinters - but am going to look it up right away. Elder Scrolls is fantastic and I do like the story line based ones - not saying naked gnomes dont have a time and a place though! ;-)

Thanks for the advice!

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Neverwinter Nights is based on Dungeons and Dragons Forgotten Realms rule set.

Mystla, I agree 100% with your hubby's analysis, including the bit about Elder Scrolls being the best RPG series so far. In my opinion, only actual intelligence and the ability to climb (climbing trees or using rope arrows, line-and-grappling, etc.) and the ability to craft custom weapons/armor (not just adding magic) could make Oblivion any more realistic. I found it highly replayable, although there is a bit of a stale aftertaste after just so many times closing gates and such.

Crumpet, as far as controllers for PC, there are dozens of different kinds of programmable controllers, you can assign the various game functions to whichever stick or button you want. If that is what you are more comfortable with you probably won't ever be satisfied with mouse/keyboard combo (which is what I am most comfortable with). I have a pretty elaborate set of Sidewinder controllers for my wife and I, and we have had no trouble from them.

Hope that helps.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

(psst! "EQ" is EverQuest, 1st generation MMORPG)

• Swamboozled
    Swamboozled

Crumpet,

Yeah..another RPG geekette like me. I thought I would tell you that I bought a logitech PC controller that is similiar to the X Box controller and could not get it to work. You can program everything in it except turning, which is a useful thing to be able to do. I have played all of the Elder Scrolls and Neverwinters and the Neverwinters are not nearly as good IMO. They are okay for a filler game when there is nothing new on the market. I, myself am totally immersed in the new Final Fantasy right now on Playstation 2. Oh the things I could get done were I not a gamer. LOL!

alt

• daystar
    daystar

Neverwinter Nights I was nowhere near the game the Elder Scrolls games have been. But it's still a classic, the first version being an old AOL multiplayer back before AOL even offered any form of internet access. Fun times.

Neverwinter Nights II might be another story though - http://www.atari.com/nwn2/US/index.php

• Mystla
    Mystla

Yes, EQ was (is) an on-line RPG and yes... that's where I met my husband, lol He was a half-elf Bard leading my group across a difficult zone and he got us lost (he swears to this day he wasn't really lost.. Men!!) and I argued with him about which way to go and he got mad and logged out and left us there.. doesn't sound like the beginning of a beautiful relationship?? I asked his friend, who had gotten him involved in the first place, what his problem was. he explained it to me (hubby is disabled and in a lot of pain.. tends to make him crabby at times) and the next time he was on we talked for hours.. and thats how it all started I won't get into how I met his friend to begin with.. lets just say I was a tree in front of a town and he got me drunk...

We still enjoy playing games together, which is why we tend toward the on-line games which are, obviously, designed for people to play together.. ironicly we are fairly anti-social and very rarely play with other people in-game. Hubby plays another game called Eve, which I haven't gotten into at all.. in that game he is head of a huge corp (that games version of guilds) and is taking over the universe

About Neverwinter... Hubby is a D&D player since he was a kid, DM'd for awhile, still loves the old rule set.. has some problems with the more recent stuff.. I don't really know much about it so I won't get into it I do know he says the most recent Neverwinter is the best D&D computer game so far (he picked it up about 2 weeks ago) and that the character customization is unparalleled in D&D computer games.

Edited to add: Ok, hubby has corrected me.. Baldurs Gate was the best D&D computer game..

Misty

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit