My Son Told Me Today That..................

by lovelylil 23 Replies latest jw friends

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

He really wants to be a Navy Seal! My hubby is ex Navy and so was his grandfather so he has always heard stories about the Navy. He will be 12 on Dec. 19th and I know he has been interested in the military in general since he was about 8. My first reaction was fear because I don't ever want my kids to do anything that could put them in harms way. Also, I am not really a political person, I still consider myself neutral. Although I no longer believe that the Bible is against military service for Christians. And I fully support any man or women who helps keep our country safe.

This past summer my husband and son decorated his room with Military stuff and since we are out of the JW's my son has been buying lots of books about the Navy, military in general, war toys, etc. I feel like he is very serious and am not sure this is a phase. My son is not into sports at all or any other things and really has a passion for this.

If this is my son's calling or what he is meant to do in life, I don't want to interfer with it and I want to support it. Even if it would not be MY first choice for him. What should I do to support him and does anyone know if I can get any "freebies" from the Navy for my kid such as posters or information about the Navy and the Navy Seals? Thanks. Lilly

BTW: I asked him why he never really told me directly about this desire before and he said because we were JW's - but he would have joined the Navy anyway when he grew up.

• bebu
    bebu

Wow, how interesting.

I think some people just have something like this inborn. It definitely isn't for everybody, but the military is the perfect match for some.

...And the navy seals... that's an extremely tough goal! Good for him to be aiming for excellence!

bebu

• moshe
    moshe

Just an observation---A career in the military is not what it used to be, that's for sure.It's not your grandfather's Navy anymore. I always laugh at the TV commercials for the Army- 'if you want the facts contact the Army", Ha- that's like expecting the truth about the WT from the WT. Better to talk to those who have been in the military service for a couple years and who are not recruiters.

I wonder, if they advertise for military jobs on TV in other countries like in the US ?

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Moshe,

You are right and my husband tried to talk my son out of it. I did too. But the little guy is standing his ground. He says he always wanted to do this and we will not change his mind. He "plays" like he is in the military all the time. He even dresses like it. The kid eats, lives and breaths the military. I know it sound strange. But I am almost afraid to say no. I am thinking the kid may be the next Colin Powell or something and I could be interfering with his destiny.

Believe me I have strong feelings about it. My hubby told him the military is not what he thinks but he is totally insistant on it. And I know when he is 18 I can't make up his mind. I would rather be supportive and have my husband go with him to speak with the recruiter to make sure they know he is going in to become a Navy seal.

Anyway, I found out there is a Navy Cadets near me so I called for more information. I think if he starts with them he can get a small glimpse as to what military life will be like. They even have boot camp and weekend drills. Its for kids from 12 to 17. Maybe he will change his mind when he is older. I just don't want to discourage him as this is really the only thing he is interested in. I have to say this too, the kid is fearless and has always been very outgoing. I think the military takes a certain type and he may be one of them.

My daughter has always been artistic that is just her thing. And she developed her love and ambition do art when she was around 8, and my son has the same feelings about the military. Lilly

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Might want to get him involved with Scouting, even Sea Scouts if you are anywhere near water. While not directly affiliated, there is a discipline and standards (uniforms too) that will make him more comfortable with military style. Talk to a local recruiter or online websites. Soon he will be JR ROTC age. In my area (heavily military) the JR ROTC is regarded as kind of geeky, except the people who are in love it. Go figure. If you can do a family trip to some of the Navy bases or where they train them, it might be fun for him. Find a local former seal that you like and trust who could tell him the g rated stories. My daughter wants to be in the Marine Corp band. Just for the band, she isn't particularly patriotic. I SO can't see her in the marines, but if that is what she wants, more power to her! You are a brave and loving mom to put his wants before yours! Hard thing for a mom to get thrilled about, specially a former JW. I'm proud of you for being so supportive. Isn't it great that you now CAN be?

• new boy
    new boy

Lil....................I say this with all do respect.....................What do you think the Seals are?

They don't build bridges.............cook meals.............work in the PX

They are and elite force of KILLERS......................Job discribition.........KILL OR BE KILLED!-------EITHER ACTIVITY couldn't be good for your boy!

Show your son "Saving private Ryan" and "Born on the 4th of July".......If you both like that line of work......

...Then lots of Luck!

I'm always confused when parents are sad when they get a tel-gram saying there kid is dead.................It was the parents encouragement that got them there.

.Hay! that was their job..thats why they give them a gun------------To kill or be killed

May Peace be with you!

NB

• kid-A
    kid-A

"If this is my son's calling or what he is meant to do in life, I don't want to interfer with it and I want to support it."

Lil, while I agree with this sentiment to a certain extent, but there are limits to this sort of parental latitude. I dont know how close your son is to turning 18, but

joining the millitary in this political climate is almost a death wish. Once the US pulls out of Iraq, you can be sure there is another war around the corner, either Iran or North

Korea, which WILL be thousands of times more deadly than the present quagmire of death in Iraq. Your son needs to understand that the military is NOT a video game.

Its real bullets, real mortars, real IEDs, real blood and real death. You cant force anything on him, but obligated to do everything within your power to stop this course of action. Getting

shot to death or worse, is nobodys "calling" in life....

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Hey Guys, I understand what you are saying and I am not for him joining anything. He is still young and that is why I am letting him join the Cadet Corp. as I am hoping he will not like military life after he gets a taste of it. They treat the young ones like they are in the real Navy.

I am a Chrisitan and I stay totally neutral in all military conflict. While I do support our countries troops while they are fighting and do not picket against them - I am totally ANTI WAR. But how do you raise a child who insists he wants to be military and is surrounded by ex military people who think its a great idea and tell him you won't support his decision? Also his father is ex Navy to boot.

I am still against his going into the military but I feel IF he does I will support him. What choice will I have when he is 18? None really and if I hold it against him and not talk to him, won't I be just like the JW's when they cut off thier kids for doing something other than becoming a JW?

I am not being a permissive parent but I cannot force my kids to do what I want them to do. They don't even want to be Christians anymore either - should I force them to be one anyway? I spent hours trying to convince my son otherwise as this came up before but today he made a stand that this is what he will do. Lilly

• willyloman
    willyloman
    My son is not into sports at all or any other things

Then he'd better get busy because the Seals won't take him if he's not a demonstrated team player. Hate to burst your bubble. Get him into that Navy ROTC thing and sign him up for a sports team someplace!

• Mulan
    Mulan

He is only 12. Support his goal now, but realize it likely will change many times.

I raise 3 boys, so know this to be true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit