NYC people or those that have been there

by mariposa 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Lori and I were in NYC on vacations these last two years, and what you do in the city depends a lot on how much money you have. If money is not a problem, take cabs if you want to. They're really not that much more expensive, and if you're in a group, it costs the same for four people as it does for one. Subways are faster, but might be more of a problem with a carriage, as there are usually stairs.

I was never in any part of the city where I've felt unsafe in these last few years.

Central Park has playgrounds, but remember - it's bigger than most cities! Get a map. Lori and I walked and ran there a lot when we visited. Loved it. Also, don't think you'll want to be hitting the outdoor playgrounds with a baby in the winter.

NYC has everything. What are you interested in?

S4

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

Since it is getting closer to christmas, traffic in downtown manhatten moves very slow this time of year, you shouldn't have any problems driving in Queens. Also the temperture is in the low 40's now so it may be too cold to allow your young one to play in central park for any length of time. There is a lot to see in manhatten, I suggest rockefeller center and radio city music hall (a stroller is a good idea). Macy's is also nice, although a bit crowded. Enjoy yourself.

• Soledad
    Soledad

Forget about the car this time of year-----you'll spend all your time stuck in traffic and heaven help you if you park in the wrong spot. Faster than you can say metermaid your car will get towed and it will set you back $200 at the tow pound.

TAKE THE SUBWAY!!

I cannot stress that enough.

• ttbeachbum
    ttbeachbum

Exactly, mass transit most of the day is pretty safe. If possible around NYC, walk; taking a cab will be costly and take forever, it will be faster by foot or mass transit.

There is no way this time of year I would drive in NYC. Queens should be fine, did you find out where?

• mariposa
    mariposa

No I still don't know where we're going in Queens yet. I reeeeeeeally don't want to stay w/ my husbands friends so where we stay is still kind of open. They all speak another language and I don't know how well they speak English. I'm tempted to take the baby and go stay in a hotel in Manhatten by myself!! It'd be more fun that way:)

I take it the mass transit is used a whole lot more in NYC than here in Atlanta. I drive everywhere downtown here w/o problems but I won't be doing it there for sure!! Thanks to you guys!

If any of you guys want to meet up, let me know!

Jamee

• mariposa
    mariposa

Ok - we're headed to 10 min. east of Kennedy airport, right on the line between Queens and Long Island. Does that sound familiar to any of you?

I'm still looking for a place other than that to stay. I guess somewhere between that area and Manhattan. I'm checking out the hotel that po's son recommended.

How long after Christmas are the lights and festivities up downtown? We're not sure if we're going before or after the 25th.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    Ok - we're headed to 10 min. east of Kennedy airport, right on the line between Queens and Long Island. Does that sound familiar to any of you?

Rosedale, Queens-Valley Stream Long Island? I was just there for Thanksgiving. Literally right on the line, too!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit