Comments You Will Not Hear at the 12-3-06 WT Study (PROVE YOUR FAITH)

by blondie 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

Comments You Will Not Hear at the 12-03-06 WT Study (10-15-06 ISSUE, pages 23-27)(PROVE YOUR FAITH)

Review comments will be in red

WT material from today's WT will be in black

Quotes from other sources will be in quotes boxes

w = Watchtower

g = Awake

jv = Proclaimers book

www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible (various Bible translations online)

www.reexamine.org (WT publications online)

www.silentlambs.org (child abuse)

www.ajwrb.org (blood issue)

http://www.randytv.com/secret/unitednations.htm (United Nations issue)

PROVE YOUR FAITH BY YOUR LIFE COURSE

"Faith, if it does not have works, is dead in itself. "-JAMES 2:17.

OPENING COMMENTS

When I saw the phrase "prove your faith," it brought back my old question, what can humans do to "earn" life? What "works" does the WTS demand? Did early Christians live their lives according to a set of rules from the apostles or was the Bible enough as a guide? Where are the publications that were used as "aids" in the first century Christian congregations?

Do JWs prove their faith by following the detailed rules the WTS has regarding social gatherings, weddings and receptions, giving wedding gifts?

START OF ARTICLE

Q1) Why did the early Christians give attention to both faith and works?

1) As a whole, the early Christians proved their faith by how they actually lived. The disciple James urged all Christians: "Become doers of the word, and not hearers only." He added: "As the body without spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead." (James 1:22; 2:26) About 35 years after he wrote that, many Christians were continuing to prove their faith with appropriate works. But sadly, some were not. Jesus commended the congregation in Smyrna; yet, to many in the congregation in Sardis, he said: "I know your deeds, that you have the name that you are alive, but you are dead."-Revelation 2:8-11; 3:1.

The early Christians proved their faith by how they actually lived…many Christians were continuing to prove their faith with appropriate works.

(Revelation 2:10) . . .Prove yourself faithful even to death, and I will give you the crown of life.

So this scripture applies only to those who go to heaven and receive a crown…what about the rest?

What are "appropriate works"? Who decides? The rank and file JW as they ready the Bible or only as the read WT publications?

*** w81 2/15 p. 19 Do We Need Help to Understand the Bible? ***

No question about it. We all need help to understand the Bible, and we cannot find the Scriptural guidance we need outside the "faithful and discreet slave" organization.

*** w02 12/1 p. 17 par. 17 Enjoy Personal Study of God’s Word ***

Then Philip, directed by holy spirit, helped the eunuch to understand the prophecy of Isaiah. (Acts 8:27-35) What does this illustrate? That our private reading of the Bible is not enough. Jehovah, by his spirit, uses the faithful and discreet slave class to help us to understand his Word at the right time.

WT approved "appropriate works"

Attending 5 hourly meetings each week?

Spending a minimum of 1 hour/month talking about WT doctrine and "placing" WT literature

Not celebrating holidays/birthdays

Not saluting the flag or voting

No blood transfusions, but blood fractions are allowed

And so on……….

Q2) What should Christians ask themselves about their faith?

2) Accordingly, Jesus encouraged those in Sardis--and by extension all who would later read his words--to prove their first love for Christian truth and to be awake spiritually. (Revelation 3:2, 3) Each of us can ask himself: `How about my deeds? Do my actions clearly show that I am doing my best to prove my faith by all I do, even in the areas not directly related to the preaching work or congregation meetings?' (Luke 16:10) Many aspects of life could be considered, but let us deal with just one: social gatherings, including those that often follow Christian weddings.

And by extension all who would later read his words

The WTS is trying to get past the fact that these words were written only to Christians who expected to die, be resurrected with spirit bodies, to live and rule in heaven with Christ. Was John "extending" these words to cover anyone other than a Christian like himself?

Prove their first love

—I thought it was proving your faith?

Each of us can ask himself: ‘How about my deeds?’

You can rest assured that the elders will be scrutinizing you not themselves. That they will not see the rafter in their own eye as the look for the splinter in yours.

*** w05 9/15 p. 30 What Others Think of Us—Does It Matter? ***

It would be a mistake to ignore how others view us. We can actually benefit by having others scrutinize our conduct.

Do my actions clearly show that I am doing my best to prove my faith by all I do, even in the areas not directly related to the preaching work or congregation meetings?

The elders will be watching YOUR actions, judging whether you are doing YOUR best and proving YOUR faith.

*** w05 6/1 p. 18 par. 16 Saved, Not by Works Alone, But by Undeserved Kindness ***

Since no human can accurately know the motives of others, however, we must beware of judging others.

Social gatherings….those that often follow Christian (only JW) weddings

Small Social Gatherings

Q3) What is the Biblical position about sharing in gatherings?

3) Most of us appreciate being invited to a gathering of happy Christians. Jehovah is "the happy God," who wants his servants to be happy. (1 Timothy 1:11) He had Solomon include in the Bible this reality: "I myself commended rejoicing, because mankind have nothing better under the sun than to eat and drink and rejoice, and that it should accompany them in their hard work for the days of their life." (Ecclesiastes 3: 1, 4,13; 8:15) Such rejoicing may be at a family meal or at some other small social gathering of true worshippers. Job 1:4, 5, 18; Luke 10:38-42; 14:12-14.

Most of us appreciate being invited to a gathering of happy Christians

Christians…true worshippers

only JWs

Haven’t been invited? Wonder why?

*** w01 10/1 p. 17 par. 17 How Can You Help a "Prodigal" Child? ***

Others can take an active interest in such a youth. Of course, a measure of caution is needed, since a spiritually ailing youth could adversely influence other young ones. (Galatians 5:7-9) In one congregation, well-meaning adults who wanted to help some youths who had become spiritually weak invited them to gatherings to play popular music together. Though the youths readily complied and enjoyed such sessions, their influence on one another eventually led them to cut their ties with the congregation. (1 Corinthians 15:33; Jude 22, 23)

What can help heal the ailing child is, not social gatherings with no spiritual direction, but association that helps him to cultivate a taste for spiritual things.

Small social gathering— How many people make it a "small" gathering?

[Picture on page 24] Even when inviting just a few people, be guided by "the wisdom from above"

Do you notice that the men are not in suits and ties, but the women are in skirts and high heels at a party?

Q4) A person who arranges a gathering should be interested in what?

4) If you are arranging such a gathering and are responsible for it, you should think through what is planned, even if you are inviting just a few believers for a meal and friendly conversation. (Romans 12:13) You will want to see that "all things take place decently," guided by "the wisdom from above." (1 Corinthians 14:40; James 3:17) The apostle Paul wrote: "Whether you are eating or drinking or doing anything else, do all things for God's glory. Keep from becoming causes for stumbling." (1 Corinthians 10:31, 32) What are some aspects needing particular attention? Considering such beforehand can help to ensure that what you and your guests do will manifest your faith in action.-Romans 12:2.

You…are responsible for it

Translation:

if anything goes "wrong" you are responsible for it and can lose privileges, even end up disfellowshipped.

Few believers

how many is "few"; believers means only JWs

Friendly conversation

does that mean you can discuss all the congregation dirt as long as it is true?

Decently…drinking…stumbling

Can you see where this is going?

What Will the Gathering Be Like?

Q5) Why should the host give careful thought to whether he will serve alcoholic beverages and have music?

5) Many hosts have faced the issue of whether to serve alcoholic beverages. Such are not needed for a gathering to be upbuilding. Recall that Jesus provided a meal for a sizable group that came to him--he multiplied bread and fish. The account does not say that he miraculously provided wine, although we know that he was able to do so. (Matthew 14:14-21) If you decide to serve alcoholic beverages at a gathering, be moderate as to how much there will be, and make sure that there are appealing alternatives for those who prefer them. (1 Timothy 3:2, 3, 8; 5:23; 1 Peter 4:3) Definitely refrain from making anyone feel pressured to drink something that might bite "just like a serpent." (Proverbs 23:29-32) What about music or singing? If your gathering will include music, no doubt you will carefully select the songs, considering both rhythm and lyrics. (Colossians 3:8; James 1:21) Many Christians have found that playing Kingdom Melodies or even singing such songs together contributes to a good atmosphere. (Ephesians 5:19, 20) And, of course, check on the volume regularly so that the music neither stifles enjoyable conversation nor disturbs any neighbors. -Matthew 7:12.

Issue…whether to serve alcoholic beverages.

Not needed…to be upbuilding

Fish and bread miracle—no wine

Be moderate…appealing alternatives

Refrain from making anyone feel pressured

Issue…music or singing…carefully select…considering both rhythm and lyrics

TRANSLATION: Read everyone one of the 100 songs you are going to play; what rhythm is not WT approved?

Christians

only JWs

Play Kingdom melodies just to be safe; singing such songs instead

After 40 years as a JW, I never played "kingdom" songs or asked my guests to sing them. Occasionally, one of the guests would be asked to play them on my piano and people would sing some of the better ones in harmony. I wonder why dancing is mentioned here.

Check on the volume regularly…stifles conversation…disturbs neighbors

You may think that this counsel is directed at young JWs, 18 and older; but some of the wildest JW parties I attended were people 35 and older and the alcohol

flowed.

Q6) How can a host show that his is a living faith when it comes to conversation or other activities?

6) At a social gathering, Christians may talk about various subjects, read some material aloud, or relate interesting experiences. If the conversation strays, the host can tactfully redirect it. He should also be alert that no one person dominates the conversation. If he sees that developing, he can judiciously speak up and provide for variety, perhaps by drawing out the young ones or introducing a subject that invites varied comments. Both young and old will be delighted with this aspect of the gathering. If, as the organizer, you guide matters wisely and tactfully, your `reasonableness will become known' to those present. (Philippians 4:5) They will sense that yours is a living faith, one that affects all phases of your life.

Christians

only JWs

Talk about various subjects, read some material aloud, or relate interesting experiences

So what subjects would need to be redirected, or what material would be read aloud (the Bible, or WT publications…not allowed to be done at an informal gathering since the early 1980’s and the APOSTATE SCARE)?

No one person dominates the conversation

another "apostate" alert?

So the person giving the party is supposed to "control" everyone?

Weddings and Wedding Receptions

Q7) Why does planning weddings and related gatherings merit consideration?

7) One special occasion for rejoicing is a Christian wedding. God's ancient servants, including Jesus and his disciples, willingly shared in such happy events, including associated feasting. (Genesis 29:21, 22; John 2: 1, 2) In recent times, however, experience has clearly shown that planning the social activities linked to weddings calls for special effort if they are to reflect good judgment and Christian balance. Yet, these are normal aspects of life that give a Christian opportunity to demonstrate his faith.

Planning the social activities linked to weddings

Be assured that the elders will be closely involved in any plans; including, what the bride, groom and attendants wear, how many can stand up with them, what the music will be, if any flowers will be allowed in the KH, what the vows will be, who the wedding speaker can be and what he will say, whether the music will be live (instruments) or have to be CDs.

Give a Christian (JW) opportunity to demonstrate (prove) his faith

The world will know you are my followers by the kind of music you play at your wedding.

Q8, 9) How do the practices at many weddings bear out what we read at 1 John 2:16, 17?

8) Many people who neither know nor care about godly principles view a wedding as an occasion for extremes, or perhaps one where extremes are excused. In one European magazine, a new wife said this about her "royal" wedding: `We rode in a four-horse parade carriage followed by 12 horse-drawn cabs and a coach containing a band playing music. Then we had an exquisite menu and excellent music; it was superb. Just as I wanted, I was queen for the day.'

Many people (

only non-JWs ) who neither know nor care about godly principles

One European magazine

(which one? Not on Google)

So are JWs wanting to ride in a four-horse parade carriage followed by 12 horse-drawn cabs…I was a queen for the day.

9) While practices may vary from land to land, those sentiments simply bear out what the apostle John wrote: "Everything in the world--the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one's means of life--does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world." Can you imagine a mature Christian couple wanting to have a "royal" wedding with a lavish fairytale reception? Rather, their outlook should take into account that "he that does the will of God remains forever."-1 John 2:16, 17.

Showy display…mature Christian (JW) couple

Actually, I have never been to a non-JW wedding like that.

Q10) (a) For a reasonable wedding, why is planning essential? (b) How should decisions be made about those invited?

10) Christian couples want to be both realistic and reasonable, and the Bible can help them. Significant as the wedding day is, they know that it is just the beginning of the married life of two Christians who have everlasting life ahead of them. They are not obligated to have a large wedding feast. If they do choose to have a gathering, they will want to calculate the expense of the gathering and consider its nature. (Luke 14:28) In their Christian life together, the husband will be the Scriptural head. (1 Corinthians 11:3; Ephesians 5:22, 23) So the groom is primarily responsible for the wedding reception. Of course, he will lovingly consult with his wife-to-be on such matters as whom they want to or are able to invite to the wedding feast. It may not be possible or practical to invite all their friends and relatives; hence, some decisions may have to be made with modesty. The couple should be able to trust that if they cannot invite some fellow Christians, these will be understanding and will not be offended.-Ecclesiastes 7:9.

Christian (JW only) couples…realistic and reasonable

And the Bible WT publications and elders can help them

Not obligated to have a large wedding feast…if they do choose…will want to calculate the expense

Husband will be the scriptural head…so the groom is primarily responsible…lovingly consult his wife-to-be

Can you imagine him telling his FIL and MIL who will or won’t be coming when the FIL and MIL are paying for the event?

Not possible or practical to invite all their friends and relatives

If they have to leave some out, per the WTS it would be best to leave out any non-JW relatives and "friends."

Cannot invite some fellow Christians (only JWs), these will be understanding and will not be offended.

I have known of several brides to mark people off the invitation list based on ability to bring a big, expensive gift reasoning that they could not afford to make the trip anyway and pay for a hotel room.

"Director of the Feast"

Q11) What role can a "director of the feast" play at a wedding?

11) If a couple choose to host a gathering to celebrate the wedding, how can they make sure that the occasion remains dignified? For some decades now, Jehovah's Witnesses have appreciated the wisdom of including an aspect mentioned in connection with the gathering Jesus attended in Cana. There was a "director of the feast," certainly a responsible fellow believer. (John 2:9, 10) Similarly, a wise groom will choose a spiritually mature Christian brother for this key role. Having ascertained the groom's wishes and tastes, the director of the feast can follow through on details both before and during the gathering.

IF a couple choose to host a gathering…dignified

"director of the feast," CERTAINLY a responsible fellow believer…spiritually mature Christian brother (JW) (only a male JW viewed by the elders as being "in good standing" in the congregation—translation: at least a MS or an elder)

Having ascertained the GROOM’S wishes and tastes (not the bride’s)

Q12) What should the groom consider regarding the use of alcoholic beverages?

12) In line with what was discussed in paragraph 5, some couples choose to exclude alcoholic beverages from the wedding feast lest the abuse of such mar the happiness and success of the occasion. (Romans 13:13; 1 Corinthians 5: 11) Yet, if they include alcoholic beverages, the groom should see to it that these are served or made available in moderation. There was wine at the wedding Jesus attended in Cana, and he supplied wine of fine quality. Interestingly, the director of that feast commented: "Every other man puts out the fine wine first, and when people are intoxicated, the inferior. You have reserved the fine wine until now." (John 2:10) Surely Jesus did not contribute to any drunkenness, for he viewed such as reprehensible. (Luke 12:45, 46) In expressing surprise at the quality of the wine, the director made it clear that he had observed instances when some wedding guests did get drunk. (Acts 2:15; 1 Thessalonians 5:7) Hence, both the groom and the trustworthy Christian he designates as director of the feast ought to make sure that all present follow the clear directive: "Do not be getting drunk with wine, in which there is debauchery."-Ephesians 5:18; Proverbs 20:1; Hosea 4:11.

SOME COUPLES CHOOSE to exclude alcoholic beverages— oh, now the bride gets to have an opinion?

Served or made available in moderation— Noice they don’t mention keeping them away from underage JWs. Do the servers check IDs? If someone is inebriated, do they see to it they don’t drive home?

Q13) What should a couple consider if they arrange to have music at a wedding feast, and why?

13) As is true of other gatherings, if there is to be music, due attention should be given to the volume so that it allows for easy conversation. One Christian elder noted: "As the evening progresses, when conversation becomes more animated or dancing commences, sometimes the volume of the music increases. What began as background music may become loud and hinder conversation. A wedding reception offers an opportunity for pleasant fellowship. How sad it would be if loud music spoiled this opportunity!" Here, too, the groom and the director of the feast need to act responsibly, not relinquishing to musicians, whether hired or not, the control over the nature and volume of the music. Paul wrote: "Whatever it is that you do in word or in work, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus." (Colossians 3:17) When the guests go home after a wedding feast (or, reception), will they remember the music as reflecting that the couple were doing everything in the name of Jesus? That should be the case.

IF there is to be music…volume…allows for easy conversation

Does this include Sister DeafasaPost?

Background music…not relinquishing to musicians— isn’t there any dancing at this gathering? You don’t dance to background music.

Music as reflecting…in the name of Jesus— are they suggesting that only "kingdom" music can be played?

Q14) Christians should fondly remember what about a wedding?

14) Yes, a well-arranged wedding can be fondly remembered. Adam and Edyta, who have been married for 30 years, commented on one wedding: "You could really feel the Christian atmosphere. There were songs praising Jehovah but also some other fine entertainment. Dancing and music were of secondary importance. It was pleasant and upbuilding, and everything was in harmony with Bible principles." Clearly, the bride and groom can do much to show that they are proving their faith by their works.

Wedding Gifts

Q15) What Bible counsel can be applied in regard to wedding gifts?

15) In many lands it is common for friends and relatives to give a gift to those getting married. If you choose to do so, what might you bear in mind? Well, recall the apostle John's comment about "the showy display of one's means of life." He linked such showiness, not with Christians who manifest their faith in actions, but with `the world that is passing away.' (1 John 2:16, 17) In view of John's inspired observation, should the newlyweds identify to all the giver of each gift? Christians from Macedonia and Achaia made contributions to brothers in Jerusalem, but there is no indication that their names were publicized. (Romans 15: 26) Many Christians who give a wedding present would want to remain anonymous rather than attract undue attention to themselves. In this regard, review Jesus' counsel found at Matthew 6:1-4.

Common…give a gift…showy display…

Identify to all the giver of each gift—do JWs still do this? I thought this practice was weeded out. At one point people were afraid to put their name on the card even so that brides/grooms could not even send thank you cards.

Remain anonymous— does that mean you can’t put your name on the card?

*** w03 9/1 p. 29 Questions From Readers ***

Biblically speaking, there is nothing wrong with identifying oneself as the giver of a gift, perhaps by including a note with a present. However
    , in some places, it is the custom to identify the giver to all those who are present. This custom can lead to problems. Those giving a present may want to remain anonymous in order to avoid attracting undue attention to themselves. Such individuals act according to the principle found at Matthew 6:3, where Jesus states: "But you, when making gifts of mercy, do not let your left hand know what your right is doing." Others may feel that gift-giving is a personal matter that should remain private between the giver and the recipient. Moreover, identifying the givers could lead to comparisons of gifts, "stirring up competition." (Galatians 5:26) Christians surely would want to avoid making anyone feel uncomfortable or embarrassed by publicly announcing the names of the givers.—1 Peter 3:8.

Q16. How can newlyweds avoid hurting others' feelings when it comes to wedding gifts?

16) Identifying the givers of gifts could lead to "stirring up competition" as to which is the better or the more costly gift. Thus, wise Christian newlyweds will refrain from publicly announcing the names of gift givers. Announcing the names of the givers might embarrass others who were perhaps unable to afford to give a gift. (Galatians 5:26; 6:10) Granted, it is not wrong for the bride and groom to know who gave a certain gift. They could possibly learn that from an appropriate card that accompanies the present but is not read publicly. When buying, giving, and receiving wedding gifts, we all have a chance to prove that even in such a private matter, our faith is affecting our actions.* (Footnote: * Additional aspects of weddings and associated receptions are treated in the following article, "Increase the Joy and Dignity of Your Wedding Day.")

identifying the givers…lead to…competition…embarrass others

it is not wrong for the bride and groom to know who gave a certain gift..not read publicly.

All this is fairly common sense; it seems to me that JWs are not listening to the "old" counsel from days long ago from the WTS…getting disobedient?

Notice how they drop in a phrase in each paragraph: "our faith is affecting our actions."

Q17) Christians should have what goal in regard to their faith and works?

17) Proving our faith certainly involves more than living morally, attending Christian meetings, and sharing in the preaching work. May each of us have a living faith that affects all that we do. Yes, we can show our faith by deeds "fully performed," including those in areas of life discussed above.-Revelation 3:2.

Proving our faith certainly…involves more than living morally, attending Christian meetings, and sharing in the preaching work.

Have a living faith that affects all that we do…show our faith by deeds

Translation: Doing everything the WTS says in print and from the platform is the only way to have true WTS faith.

18. How can the words at John 13:17 prove true in connection with Christian weddings and gatherings?

18) After Jesus set a fine example for his faithful apostles by the lowly act of washing their feet, he said: "If you know these things, happy you are if you do them." (John 13:417) In the locality where we live today, it may not be necessary or normal to wash the feet of another person, such as a guest in our home. As we have considered in this article, however, there are other aspects of life in which we can manifest our faith by loving, considerate actions, including those associated with social gatherings and Christian weddings. That is so whether we are getting married or are guests at a wedding or a subsequent happy gathering of Christians who want to show their faith by their actions.

Washing their feet— can you imagine anyone washing your feet at the KH?

It may not be necessary or normal to wash the feet of another person— was it normal for Jesus to wash to feet of the apostles, a task reserved for the lowly servant in a household, not the Son of God.

Loving, consideration actions— when you see that phrase do you immediately think of the music being too loud?

How Would You Answer?

How can you prove your faith

- when organizing a social gathering?

- when organizing a wedding or a reception?

• when giving or receiving wedding gifts?

Closing Comments

When you think of proving your faith, do you think of how you organize a social gathering, a wedding, a reception or giving/receiving wedding gifts.

Is that what it is all about? Will a JW be marked as being without faith if they have 11 people instead of 10 at a gathering and it is deemed too large, or they study the Bible in a small group and are marked as apostate, or if they have alcohol at their reception and Elder HalfInTheBag gets his 18-year-old son several beers; the son drives home and has an accident. Will the groom be disciplined because the elder gave his underage son beer?

On a fluffier note, it snowed here some, not as much as south of here. But it was a grind getting to work. We are going to a German Winterfest tomorrow just like we have at home in Germany. I am feeling better; my earache has subsided. I have decided what to get my honey for Xmas. He keeps asking me what I want, but I want it to be a surprise, so I’m giving him a list of 5 things about the same price and he can pick one. How do you ladies manage it with your significant others? This is the first advent Sunday this weekend too.

Love, Blondie

• Zico
    Zico

If any Witness actually followed all these rules, it wouldn't be a very fun wedding.

Why would you be marked as an apostate for studying the bible or WT in an informal group?

• heathen
    heathen

Yah I think the big question is , prove your faith and love , to who? The FDS apparently , if you follow every bit of dogma they come up with you will be a good spiritual jew . I wonder why they are going on about being a christian when they don't want the great crowd in the christian covenenant. Better yet you are a watchtowerite. I'm surprised they even allowed alcohol at any gathering, certainly no games of twister with inappropriate touching involved . I guess they figure everybody is rolling out the golden calf whenever they aren't looking . What a bunch of paranoid freaks .

• Gill
    Gill

Thanks, Blondie!!

I'm glad that your earache is better!

Our wedding was one in which we followed every Watchtower 'rule'! There was NO alcohol, NO dancing, just a little back ground music. There were NO games for the children.....just loads of JWs sitting around bored, and chatting. The PO at the time, was a total control freak. We didn't care that much as we just wanted to get wed and get the hell out of there.

There were just a couple of my husbands relatives who were not JWs. They came to the wedding and left soon after. We NEVER heard from them again. I don't think they were impressed with the whole JW thing!

It would seem that the WT is cracking down on its slaves with a big, big whip again.

Bad JWs!!!

• fokyc
    fokyc

Hi Blondie

You can rest assured that the elders will be scrutinizing you not themselves. That they will not see the rafter in their own eye as they look for the splinter in yours.

The elders will be watching YOUR actions, judging whether you are doing YOUR best and proving YOUR faith.

How true,

In one European magazine, a new wife said this about her "royal" wedding: `We rode in a four-horse parade carriage followed by 12 horse-drawn cabs and a coach containing a band playing music. Then we had an exquisite menu and excellent music; it was superb. Just as I wanted, I was queen for the day.'

(which one? Not on Google)

Not on 'dogpile' or 'vivisimo' either, just where do they get these things? From a film I guess!

Thanks again Blondie, glad the ache is better, enjoy your German do.

fokyc

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

What I get out of this study is the WTS is a control freak org. and does not trust anyone to think for themselves.

There was wine at the wedding Jesus attended in Cana, and he supplied wine of fine quality. Interestingly, the director of that feast commented: "Every other man puts out the fine wine first, and when people are intoxicated, the inferior. You have reserved the fine wine until now." (John 2:10) Surely Jesus did not contribute to any drunkenness, for he viewed such as reprehensible. (Luke 12:45, 46) In expressing surprise at the quality of the wine, the director made it clear that he had observed instances when some wedding guests did get drunk.

How the hell do they know if the guests at this wedding were drunk or not?

They do not mention verse 3 When the wine ran out, the mother of Jesus said to him, "They have no wine."

or verse 6: Now there were six stone waterpots set there for the Jewish custom of purification, containing

twenty or thirty gallons each. 25x6=150gallons

Jesus would have definitely have been brought before a judicial meeting for supplying such excess in alcoholic drink.

I guarantee you those guests at that wedding were feeling no pain.

I would have loved to tasted that wine!!!!!!!

moo

• juni
    juni

This is all such a farce. One of the reasons I left. I was the JW who listened to this crap and took it all in and tried to follow it to a "T". It finally drove me to the point of going crazy.

My opinion is this:

In order to have something to "jaw" about to fill all of the hours that are spent at 5 meetings and assemblies year after year, they have to add to the scriptures w/all of these man made ideas. They shove it down your throat as what God wants in order to be a faithful servant of his. They are so good at taking a principle from scripture and stretching it to fit what they want from you. More control - in God's name.

Thanks Blondie for your hard work.

Juni

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

In order to have something to "jaw" about to fill all of the hours that are spent at 5 meetings and assemblies year after year, they have to add to the scriptures w/all of these man made ideas. They shove it down your throat as what God wants in order to be a faithful servant of his. They are so good at taking a principle from scripture and stretching it to fit what they want from you. More control - in God's name.

That's why I call myself "Rules and Regulations".That's what drove me away.Not only do they stretch the sciptures to fit whatever suites them, they add on all these manmade rules.They are the modern day Pharisees.

I always felt bad for the Elders who were in control of watching the wedding receptions and making sure all the rules were followed.Making sure no one was drinking in excess and making sure everyone was dancing with their mates and only theie mate.

Thanks Blondie.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

It won't be long now. Soon they will be telling the married couple to hang out a white sheet after the honeymoon, so the elders can clap and smile, and say, " I knew she was a virgin. " "I knew that they were pure and were telling the truth when we questioned them about their relationship toward each other ( are you keeping sexually clean? ) while they were dating." See, the sheet proves their faith.

Blueblades

• Will Power
    Will Power

thanks blondie.............boy this article really makes my stomach turn...........Its articles like these that make you wonder - what kind of people are these JWs? they have no self control, or standards that they them selves have in place to monitor their own behaviour? Simple things like manners, courtesy, etiquette have to be spelled out! - What kind of christians are the kind that naturally do not have good behaviour? ............... Guess they know when absolutely every detail of someone's life is controlled by the FDS head office and their local enforcers.......... if left to their own devices and decisions - all hell would break loose cause they DO NOT KNOW HOW TO BE FREE.............. wp

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit