Going back in?

by tdogg 15 Replies latest jw friends

• tdogg
    tdogg

I wonder exactly how many xjw's will be going back in due to the WTC.
    To actually admit that is the reason to go back, wow. What a leap of faith-"Oh look the great trib has started Id better hurry off to meeting." Too late now anyway you bozos.

Those who know of those going back due to this should keep us posted about how long the sudden change of "faith" lasts.

• Stacey
    Stacey

Anyone who is going back because of recent events has no hope of ever escaping the watchtower. I cant even imagine what hell that person must be going through and the pain they must feel, knowing that they are not safe until they are again approved by "mother". Thinking that if the end did come tomorrow that they probably would not make it. To return to that place, wow, that's what I call crazy.

How sad what this religion can do to the human spirit.

Stacey

• larc
    larc

Anyone who goes back is ruled by fear, and nothing else. If you believe in something, whatever you believe in, it is a constant in your life and you are constant. If you go back out of fear, you are trying to fool God, and God can't be fooled.

• AngelofMuZiC
    AngelofMuZiC

I think it's pitiful. Absolutely pitiful! Any that are scurrying back because of the terrorist attacks, is sadly mistaken. Do they really think that if God actually exists, and the JW's have "the truth", that God is going to be fooled? Of course not! If God is what everyone says he is, then he can read into hearts, and you will not be saved because you run back out of fear. Those who left, for whatever reasons, already made their decision.

But, personally....I don't believe any of it, and if it turns out that this is the GT, and the end comes....I just want one to ask God one ? before he sends me plumeting into Gehenna.....How the hell were we supposed to believe it was the truth?....everyone and their mother claimed to be the truth, and every single religion on the face of this planet has the same flaws.
    My Regards,
    Joanne

• Tina
    Tina

Hi,
    I'll bet dollars to donuts here that people who run back like this simply have left the WTS in a physical manner only. Their bodies left but the mindset was still their.
    Many folks like this think walking away,without researching ,studying,making the effort to clear the cobwebs and find the deeper meanings of what they found disturbing,is all it takes. These are the ones with no foundation of real facts,no real understanding of their bibles,the history of it,or knowledge of this organizations history,where they got their info,how they presented it,etc etc etc. The real dishonesty and blatant controls used to keep them thinking that way.
    To me these foundationless ones,simply blow in the breeze with world events. Back and forth. And when the frustrations and dissonance become too much again, world events settle down as they are wont to do,they will blow out of the org again. Unfortunately at the cost of more irreplaceable years of their lives. Tina

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny..."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense-you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• alirobbi
    alirobbi

Tina,

You are absolutely right. On another board we have had many scared people coming on to talk about things. Most just have a little JW residue left and have felt better after they have been presented with facts about the WTS but we have this one woman, she has been out for 17yrs and she is convinced they are God's one true channel.

She stated at the very beginning she only wanted to talk to those who still believe but on this board no one does. So we started giving her some facts. She absolutely refused to go to any of the sites we recommended. Said she wasn't interested in opinion. Again we told her these have many many facts, not opinions. She said she was writing to a JW who told her the things we were telling her weren't true. And asked where do you get your information and that she didn't want apostate material.

So I gave her quotes right out of the WT and Awakes. These weren't just one or two I gave her quote after quote. Her response...Well I just have a feeling they are the truth. ARGHHH At this point I feel like banging my head against a brick wall, it would be less painful :)

• Tina
    Tina

Hi alirobbi!!
    Sounds like you sure gave it a good and sincere try tho :>
    Seems to me she left believing(from what you say) and really never bothered to understand why she believes what she believes.So you're absolutely correct here! Her mind was closed the day she left 17 yrs ago. And remains closed. Truly without work and effort the mind controls can kick back in so easily. My mom was/is the same way. She wouldn't even look at WT materials.Closed minds hun,I understand your feelings of frustrations too.Don't bang yer head lol. Somebody else just may be listening to your interchange and start thinking!! You never know what seeds get planted and grow Keep fighting the good fight!!hugs,Tina

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny..."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense-you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• Moxy
    Moxy

it should be noted that JWs are well aware that people might join or return for the WRONG motives. this is fine tho, because the hope is that even tho the wrong motives get you in, once you're in and receiving spiritual truth you will develop the right motives. kind of 'doing the right thing for the wrong reason' sort of thing.

i saw this specifically stated in a WOL thread somewhere. a much more common example is someone in an urban congregations territory who's immigrated and is trying to pick up the language. the study is presented as a free discussion that among other things, will present a great opportunity to practice the language. a lot of people are clearly studying solely for the language benefits and we know it. but that's FINE. because the truth may reach their heart anyways, you see.

mox

• Seeker
    Seeker

To be perfectly honest, as awful as the WTC attacks were, I fail to see why people are making such a big deal about the consequences. Was this attack unique? No, other countries have been dealing with terrorism for years, with much loss of life (if not as many as in NY). Was the loss of life here unique? Hardly, far more people have died in civil wars in Africa, battles in other countries, bombing raids in the Middle East, and so on.

I think this is an example of American-centric thinking: it doesn't truly count until I see it with my own eyes in this country. So whereas all those other awful things I mentioned above didn't lead to Armageddon, as soon as something terrible happens in America that's it!

exJWs who are returning to the WTS because of what happened here are displaying a lack of knowledge about history. Awful things have happened before. Even World Wars have happened before (even though this won't be a world war -- it's not even a war, but a criminal investigation and action). Stock market crashes have happened before (even though the market didn't crash this time). Ongoing terrorists acts have happened before. The whole world coming together to fight an enemy happened before (Gulf war). None of it led to Armageddon, so why should this event do so? Just because this time it happened in America?

Shallow thinking.

• Tina
    Tina

Hi Seeker,
    I agree totally! That's why I used the term 'closed minds' It takes self educating to get a grip on the world,it's history and the course of events that occur. With out such global knowledge ,awareness and insights,it's really easy for folks to attribute world events to some apocalyptic biblical baloney. hugs,t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit