"Let the woman keep silent"

by belbab 66 Replies latest watchtower bible

• gumby
    gumby

Shame on you Blondie! You know better than to post a picture of dear brother Greenless in his bethel bathroom. I'll pray that you too don't get swallowed up in THE REAL crack.

Gumby

• mouthy
    mouthy

OH!!!! Blondie GO TO YOUR ROOM,Stop encouraging our sickie!!!Gumby

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

If I'd been plagirising Paul 2000 odd years ago I would have written far better stuff than getting the women to be quiet. I'd have included marital shenanigens on demand and dinner on the table at 6. Instead whoever wrote that bit of scripture has clearly lost the plot and called for the impossible - women to be silent! He may as well have written that the sky has to be green with blue spots on a Sunday.

• Mary
    Mary

The entire bible was written in an extremely male dominated society so it shouldn't come as any surprised that women are viewed as less than men. Jesus himself seemed to have a better attitude towards women but Paul was a chauvenist who obviously did not like women at all. Not only was he reinforcing the general view of the day, but Paul had (apparently) also been a Pharisee before switching sides, so that would have influenced his views as well.

'Let a woman keep silent'??

Kiss my Norwegian Olaf arse.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Mary - dare I say it - is that an invite?

• Navigator
    Navigator

The remarks attributed to Paul in Corinthians about women keeping silent cannot be properly understood unless one is aware of what was going on in Corinth at the time. The main occupation in Corinth was the care and entertainment of sailors while their boats were being hauled over the narrow part of Greece by land. This was necessary because the island of Crete was infested with Pirates. Corinth was the San Diego of its day. The religion prevalent in Corinth was worship of Aphrodite, the goddes of fetility and in which women were very prominent. It involved temple prostituion and esoteric utterings by female priests which were then interpreted by the male priests. Many of the early Christian converts to Christianity in Corinth came out of this background and religion and some were attempting to bring their former pagan customs into the new religion. The apostle Paul knew the congregation at Corinth quite well and was very aware of their background. His admonition for the women to remain silent and limitations on "speaking in tounges" reflects his knowlege of their backgrounds. The fundamentalist denominations have taken Paul's advice out of context and used it to subjugate women. The Southern Baptists, for example will not allow a female to occupy a pulpit.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Very interesting Navigator... I enjoy others imput like this Thanks

• Gill
    Gill

Navigator! Thanks! That was a brilliant piece of information!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

1 Corinthians 14:33ff is widely recognised as a non-Pauline addition into the Corinthian correspondence (v. 34f are located after v. 40 in some mss), in the spirit of the later (anti-Gnostic) Pastorals. This passage flatly contradicts chapter 11 which deals about how women should "pray" or "prophesy" -- what's the point if they were to keep silent?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    and don't let him get swallowed up in the big crack when armageddon comes.

I told ya we're all gonna be lilly ass crackers when Armageddon comes. That non-JW dog gets to be a cracker too, along with that cool '50s-era car. If you see a car like that on the road, RUN!! Who knows, it could be the car that falls into the big crack.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit