HAVE JWS RUINED YOUR LIFE??????

by chuckyy 43 Replies latest jw friends

• chuckyy
    chuckyy

im sitting here today thinking:

"my daughter should have had open heart surgery years ago and she would have been too young to know anything about it. instead, she is about to face it now....the surgeons were relectant to do it when we were jws and she was so young. ive lost a lot of work because many of my customers were jws.ive lost the opportunity to gain academic qualifications and a career/decent standard of living....because of jws, my wife and i are shunned every day/ my wife has had problems as a result. ..................all in all, jws have ruined my life and im still angry 2 years after leaving"

sorry for moaning but its good to vent

chukky

• garybuss
    garybuss

Nope! They tried. I didn't let em. At most they gave me a few bad days.

Now I have firewalls built. Their day with me is past.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I didn't stay in it long enough (get baptised) for them to totally ruin my life but it still affects me (jw parents).

• blondie
    blondie

Nope! They tried. I didn't let em. At most they gave me a few bad days.

Now I have firewalls built. Their day with me is past.

Good answer, Uncle Gary!

A very good approach to any abuse or abusive person/group you encounter.

I learned how dealing with the sexual abuse and alcoholism in my family and was able to apply what I learned to deal with the spiritual abuse from the WTS. Many on JWD have also learned how to build productive and satisfying lives apart from the WTS.

Blondie

• moshe
    moshe

At least you still have your wife, my JW wife dumped me within a year of leaving. Two years is still early in the exit game. It takes time to build a new group of friends. Your old instant friendships based on common JW'ism are over. Be glad you left already!!! Some former JW's waited too long and saw their child die due to a medical crisis which required a blood transfusion. You have a lot to be thankful for. Get into family counseling and you'll feel right as rain before you know it. Their is no need to suffer in a long term depression.

Peace,

Moshe

ps- 17 years later I have a fantastic new wife and family- and our adopted 7 year old daughter from Russia is the light of my life.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Yeah, the JW doctrine affected my life in so many ways. I still feel angry even after 12 years away. I married way too quickly, wasnt prepared for marriage, no career plans, no decent job. I wandered from one low paying job to another for years. I was told over and over that there wasnt enough time for college, the end was too near. My whole life growing up was miserable. I want this religion to crumble !!! Dave

• Gill
    Gill

It screwed with my head to a certain extent.

I think 'born ins' are more susceptible to lasting problems.

But as for ruining all of my life.....I'd have to say NO! I've had some hard times and continue to sometimes, because of the cult, but on the whole, I'm a happy person now.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

HAVE JWS RUINED YOUR LIFE?

Not likely! I have heard the view that the only power the WTS have over you is what you allow.
    I realise it's not as simple as all that but it speaks volumes. For Mrs Ozzie and myself, things have never been better; it could be said that we thank the WTS.

We have much to contend with - family under the Borg's control - nevertheless our lives are so much better than they were just ten years ago in the borg.

We still worship our God but where we have the freedom to decide, where we share without the judgmentalism so much a part of the life in any KH.

We now reach out and help people in a practical way. we've taken to heart the words at James 3:

"If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?"

Things are what wemake them

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Chuck,

I'm sorry for the grief you've personally experienced and can absolutely relate to it myself (but for the medical aspects; sorry about your daughter's condition). I too left behind the 'temporary enjoyment of sin' and forewent college and a degree, etc. I then subscribed to the mantra "Jehovah will provide". I realize it's anecdotal and purely subjective on my part, but I honestly feel I HAVE been cared for. Some say serendipity, the Universe, Karma, but I continue to feel God provides and teaches us valuable lessons outside the obvious need for material sustenance. Now that my spiritual horizons have broadened, I can see outside the JW box and sympathize with a point of view different from my own. That is, one's experience may be that "Jehovah" DID NOT provide. I tend to be philosophic, so I don't feel that my life has been ruined. But I do feel anger at having been lied to and I am on a crusade. I'm past the initial stages of denial, anger [rage?], bargaining, depression. Now it's acceptance---of what cannot be changed (the GB's attitude) but moving heaven and earth to be one of many people who makes a difference. You'll find your way. Venting here, you'll get many a hearing ear and helpful direction so that, once recovered, you can do what we all endeavor to do---help our fellow man! I wish you peace and contentment; they are around the corner. Armageddon? The jury is out on that one.

With hope,

CoCo

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

While i'm in a negative frame of mind right now its easy to say yes they have ruined my life, and to be fair it has caused a lot of pain in my life. But i dont think one can say I didnt get all the breaks and thats why i'm in my current situation. I've made choices, some things have come my way and other things havn't. To say its JW's that have ruined my life isnt probably the case, its more likely that my personality is one that subconsciously chose a path in life and i'm the only one who can look back and say I did good or I did bad. I accept that one can be duped/tricked/manipulated but i'm free of those things as far as the JW's are concerned, now I have to see where I will go on from here - perhaps a little wiser and maybe more cynical. Either way its been an experience that i've learned from and has made me who I am today. I cant wish things had been different, I can only deal with realities. The day I say they have ruined my life is that day i give up.

CS 101

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit