607BC vs 587BC

by chappy 3 Replies latest jw friends

• chappy
    chappy

I got into a discussion with a relative yesterday about 1914 and how the WTS calculates the date. An obvious discrepency is their use of the year 607BC as the date for the destruction of Jerusalem. As far as I know the WTS is the only group that uses that date as opposed to the rcognised date 587. According to my Aunt 607BC must be the correct date in order for the 70 yeara of slavery prophesy to work out correctly. Is there a way that the accepted year of 587BC can be used and still have the 70 year prophecy work out or is this an example of the Bible just being wrong?

chappy

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

There is tons of research on this and you would do good to grab some coffee and get on "the Google".Pay attention to the research that questions" the 70 year prophecy" as I think you will find it interesting.

I'm sure there is all you need in some old post on this site but I wouldn't know how to to link you too it.

• mrsjones5
  • Mary
    Mary
    According to my Aunt 607BC must be the correct date in order for the 70 yeara of slavery prophesy to work out correctly.

Translation: 607 BCE must be correct date because otherwise, the entire authoritive structure of the religion is wrong, which means your Aunt got screwed like the rest of us. And she's obviously not willing to even go there.

Is there a way that the accepted year of 587BC can be used and still have the 70 year prophecy work out or is this an example of the Bible just being wrong?

If you aunt is willing to listen, I would show her from the bible---not the WT literature, that Nebuchadnezzar's dream of the "7 times" has absolutely nothing to do with Jesus beginning an invisible reign in 1914. Get her to read the account. It specifically states that Nebuchadnezzar himself lived like an animal for 7 times or 7 years. After that, Jehovah restored his sanity and kingdom. End of story. To read anything more into it, is "adding to the bible" and trying to make it fit a preconceived idea that you already have.

For further proof though, that Jerusalem was not destroyed in 607 BCE, I would print off this information that Alleymom did. You can prove, using the bible only, that the WTS is dead wrong on their date: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/55372/1.ashx

Your aunt's view is typical of a Witness: 607 BCE must be the right date because it fits with their doctrine. Since when does the bible have to say a certain thing just because someone has a preconceived idea?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit