Ex-JW Friends - Learning Who They Really Are

by Amazing 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

Learning to Find Friends as an ex-JW

I wrote this essay because of what I have observed and experienced in the way of disappointment and reward in the relationships and freinds I have made online.

I can relate to how you some x-JWs feel about leaving online discussion boards. Several years ago I had several JWD "friends" turn on me and publicly use me to vent their own frustrations against JW Elders ... there was no justification for such treatment. I left the board feeling rather ill. I eventually returned about a month later and found a better niche than before, and realigned my set of online friends. Since that time, I have reached a point where I post when I feel like it, and don't post when I am not in the mood. I have learned to ignore what people do and say ... and found that the negative posts only last a day or so, and then fade into history to be forgotten. But in this experience, I have learned not to close doors to myself, but to keep all options open. Why not take a break and then come back? I have learned that friendship is built upon more than getting to know someone in writing online, though it can happen. Rather, it requires years of experience, most often getting to meet face to face, and sharing in other things besides ex-JW issues. I considered many here online, on JWD, as friends ... but, over time, that number has become smaller.

In our JW lives we tended to bond easily with new JWs or with those who moved into our congregations. This rapid bonding has many psychological factors of which I am not qualified to dissect. But from experience, I can guess that some of it has to do with denial of misery that ends up loving its own company. Rapid bonding is not bad in itself, but is very limited and most often cannot not withstand the strains that normal friendships go through. This is why it is so easy for our JW "friends" to let us go at the first sign of toruble. They were never really "friends" in the first place.

When we join ex-JW boards, we carry with us the same bonding tools, and can get hurt easily when rebuffed by those we thought were friends. The trick is to learn how to reassess the kind of relationships we have online, and see each one for what it truly is. This is a powerful lesson in our transition from being JWs to ex-JWs and then to normal people who are well adjusted back into society. It is no light matter, because our social structures of family, friends, acquaintances, business associates, etc. are important to each of us and how we identify ourselves and where we fit into society at large.

One example: Because the JWs are so focused on a central Theocratic government as the solution to everything including the common cold, when I left the JWs, I came to have a strong distaste for government. So, I ran around proclaiming the virtues of limited government thinking that any ex-JW would sympathize and agree with me. I was very surprised at the fact that most ex-JWs lean politically toward government solutions, and many of these found my expressions very distasteful. The horror of this is not that I held a minority view, but that people I viewed as good ex-JW "friends" turned on me at the drop of a hat when we got into political discussions. They did not see my sense of humor and fun-styled sarcasm in political debate. And once the "perception" phase took over, any sense of friendship was lost. And from time to time, I get knocked in the head by this issue even though I have stopped discussing political issues for well over a year.

Rejecting the artificial JW environment: It is not that I do not care any longer ... but, simply put, I have finally learned to put things in perspective and realized that many who I like, and feel a sense of friendship, are not really "friends" in the brotherly-sisterly sense. They are really nice acquaintances who can become good friends if circumstances ever permit building beyond ex-JW issues. I respect many, and value their opinions and excellent posts, but I no longer confuse respect with friendship. Respect is but one component of friendship. I enjoy strong intellectual exchanges with some, but shared intelligence is not a necessary ingredient for friendship. I have found some posters to be very witty, clever, well informed, good thinkers, educated, challenging, charming, and fun, but all of these qualities are not the basis of a friendship. Even our common bond as ex-JWs must never be enough to say we are friends. As JWs these things were all that were necessary to find an almost instant bonding ... but as normal people outside the artificial JW environment, we are eventually forced to learn that friendship can never be based on anything mentioned thus far.

Genuine friendship must have the ability to survive diffidulties. Love is the foundation stone and mortar that binds people.Building such love requires years of various experiences with someone - mostly good, and some not so good. Once constructed it is not easily ripped apart by one or even several misunderstandings. It is disappointing to finally find out how many "friends" I actually did not have. But, on the other hand, I take great pride in discovering so many people in one place that I can get along with most of the time, sharing in things that can lead to deep and abiding friendships, and yet only know them a little from an online exchange. It is, in a sense, a miracle all to itself to have a discussion board like this one.

Learning to enjoy being disliked: I was always one who felt that I had to find a way to at least get everyone to like me, whether or not they are "friends." Englishman helped me to learn to accept that there are some people who simply dislike me for me, and that we need such people in our lives to give contrast to those who are truly friends. I consider Englishman a good and wise person. There are also people who dislike us based on their own perceptions, but when they do this, especially online, they fail to understand that much of what they perceive is based on their own mind reconstructing emotions and imputing mannerisms on top of the words we have written ... and they fail to understand that such imputing may be mostly or wholly inappropriate, unfair, and unkind. While we all do that from time to time, failure to ever recognize this tendency over the long-haul tells us that such people are never going to be healthy friends anyway. Let them go, and move on.

At age 55, I am finally, at last, at a good place in my life. The friends I have are good friends whom I love like brothers and sisters. I have many more very good acquaintences, many of these are here on line, on JWD. I am grateful for all of them ... and I am grateful for those that proved not to be friends or even enemies, because I know where I stand with them, and I can spend my valueable time elsewhere with those whom I get along.

My best freind: I met Ken when he and I were 5-years old in 1956. In the first week we got into a fist fight and I beat the soxs off of him. Yet, we made up and played cars, cowboys and indians, cops and robbers, and American vs Nazis. We went camping, swimming, and trick-or-treating together. We went hiking, enjoyed movies and argued about politics and religion. He was a Baptist and I was a Catholic. He was a Conservative Democrat who loved Nixon and I was a Liberal Democrat who loved Kennedy. We are both mean-spirited Republicans now - just kidding about the mean-spirited part. We talked about girls and sex and we peeked as Playboy magazines. We fought several times, vowing never to speak again. He would bite me and I would give him a black eye when we fought over who cheated at Monopoly. We stayed with one another when we were sick and watched endless hours of TV, eating popcorn, and drinking RC Cola. We belched, burped, and farted in ludricris and stupid contests. We even found a tunnel where we would have pissing contests to see who could piss the farthest and highest. We both were separated by distance when his family moved to Okalhoma just when my nother died. Then, I moved to Northern California. And we were separated by emotions when I became a JW and would not continue exchanging with him. But, after 23-years, when I walked away from the JWs, I contacted him, and our friendship continued as before. We went to Reno and gambled, watched dinner shows, and got a little bit drunk. My last trip to see Ken, we sat in a restaurant at Newport Beach in California, drinking beer, and gawking at the beautiful young ladies walking past our picture window in their revealing bikinnis. We blew smoke in each others faces, and celebrated a friendship that out lasted anything and everything that life tossed at us. We have both also quit smoking.

I am a very lucky man to have a friend for 50-years, and counting. But, what I learned from my friendship with Ken is that such bonding goes beyond religious, political and social boundaries. I called Ken recently, on the 50th anniversary of meeting one another. As we talked, we laughed our heads off and we realized that our friendship was more than just friends ... we had become brothers. That is what I call a friend.

Jim Whitney

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Here, here Jim.

Friendship is not about always getting along. The longer you have a friend the more your chances are of having a disagreement, but does not mean you do not love the person or that you are no longer friends with them.

The thing about friendship is that it is a give and a take. Sometimes we offend and sometimes they offend us. It is the ability to love and move on that allows us to maintain long term friendships.

Congrats on your anniversary and for your ability to recognize a real friend and maintain that friendship. There is nothing like a brother friend.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Jim,

Thank you for the great article. What you said makes a lot of sense. After leaving the JW's I realized that many of the people there were not true friends and that the only reason I associated with them was because we were in the same kh. On an emotional or intellectual level, I could not relate to them at all outside the kh.

Since leaving the JW's I have come into contact with several of them who also left and sought me out thinking I was their close friend. But I had to be honest with myself and them about the situation because I did not want to string them along and make them think we had a strong friendship when we never did. I had to tell them in as kind a way as I could that I didn't feel there was any real substance to our friendship. It may sound cold to do this but we really had nothing at all in common. We met in the hall and that was it. These are people I would not have chosen as friends in any other forum.

I tried for a while to build a friendship on our common bond of being ex-jws but this simply did not work. One thing I found really hard to deal with is that most of them were completely stuck in tearing down the WT in every conversation. While I like to talk about WT issues here on the forum, in my personal life I hardly ever give the WT a second thought. And spiritually I have moved on to something completely different. I've grown more intellectually, emotionally and spiritually in the last 3 years than I had in the 30+ years prior to these. I was ready to move on with my life and did not want to stay stuck in the past.

btw my best friend is a "worldly" gal who I met on my 13th birthday. She lives in NY and is really a sister to me. I am almost 38 and even once I became a Jdub, I refused to cut off my friendship with her. She NEVER once judged me on becoming a witness although she voiced her concerns, she told me she will still love me no matter what. We have been thru so much together good times and bad and always find time for each other. Like you said, that is a true friend. Many others come and go, a true friend is there no matter what and usually you can count on them more than fleshly family. In the kh, I could not really count on even one person although I was a jdub for nearly 12 years. Anyway, thanks again for the article, Lilly

• Amazing
    Amazing

Looking: You said that freindship is not always about getting along. Yes, my friend Ken and I had our fights. What we built was cultivated during 50-years. I agree with you. And the ability to reconcile time and again, and keep building is what makes true freinds. Whereas in the JW world, getting along is the only optiion openly allowed.

Lily:

On an emotional or intellectual level, I could not relate to them at all outside the kh.

Amen

Since leaving the JW's I have come into contact with several of them who also left and sought me out thinking I was their close friend. But I had to be honest with myself and them about the situation because I did not want to string them along and make them think we had a strong friendship when we never did.

Amen again.

I tried for a while to build a friendship on our common bond of being ex-jws but this simply did not work. One thing I found really hard to deal with is that most of them were completely stuck in tearing down the WT in every conversation. While I like to talk about WT issues here on the forum, in my personal life I hardly ever give the WT a second thought. And spiritually I have moved on to something completely different. I've grown more intellectually, emotionally and spiritually in the last 3 years than I had in the 30+ years prior to these. I was ready to move on with my life and did not want to stay stuck in the past.

Absolutely true ... and its hard to do what you did ... but it eventually becomes necessary. This level of honesty is vital to our complete escape from the JWs.

btw my best friend is a "worldly" gal who I met on my 13th birthday.

Worldly? My best friend Ken was never a JW ... and he is experienced with the world ... but he is not "worldly." I know what you mean ... you mean she was never a JW. I just had to make a note of it.

She lives in NY and is really a sister to me. I am almost 38 and even once I became a Jdub, I refused to cut off my friendship with her. She NEVER once judged me on becoming a witness although she voiced her concerns, she told me she will still love me no matter what. We have been thru so much together good times and bad and always find time for each other. Like you said, that is a true friend.

You are a lucky woman to have such a tried and true friend.

Jim Whitney

• TopHat
    TopHat

What you went through and where you are now in relation to friends weather it be JW's or non Jw's is very normal. It's called LIFE.

• codeblue
    codeblue

Great article Jim!

I totally agree with what you have written...you will have a pm!

• Amazing
    Amazing

TopHat: I agree ... it is life ... and recognizing it, accepting it, and growing with it is what shedding the JW tears is all about. Thanks.

Codeblue: Thanks. You have a reply in the PMs.

Jim Whitney

• bernadette
    bernadette

I am now in the process of finding out who my true friends are. Now that I am fading I find that I don't miss anyone particularly from the KH.

My husband and I have always viewed each other as best friends but our present situation is very challenging - however I am focused on salvaging as much of our relationship as I can.

Like you though I have rediscovered a friend from the past. That friend went on to become an athiest whereas I, of course a dogmatic fundamentalist. On the rare occasions that we did meet it always ended in an argument so we saw less and less of each other. But now we have so much to share and rediscover, it truly is wonderful.

Bernadette

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Learning to enjoy being disliked: I was always one who felt that I had to find a way to at least get everyone to like me, whether or not they are "friends." Englishman helped me to learn to accept that there are some people who simply dislike me for me, and that we need such people in our lives to give contrast to those who are truly friends.

Very well put! One thing that I've learned is that people's opinions will only affect your life if you let them. If a person says that I'm a loser, I have a worthless job, and I'm never going to get anywhere in life, it will only make me feel like crap if I take it personally. If I just think of it as a funny, mindless comment, it has no effect on me. If someone calls me ugly, it won't matter because I think I'm goddam sexy.

People only have an effect on our lives if we allow them to. These people can be kicked out of our lives as easily as they were let in.

Jim, I lost my "best friend" of 19 years a few years ago because I discovered he was not a friend at all. He deliberately treated me like garbage to get approval from other people. He tried to sabotage my relationship when I no longer wanted anything to do with him. My parents were giving him personal information about my life after I asked them not to, and then they blamed me for his vengeful actions. When my REAL best friend encountered my former best friend, he pretended not to know him. THAT is what a good friend will do - stick up for you and protect you when you (or your family) is in danger.

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

I believe I have just recently lost a long time friend/acquaintance. Have known her since 1968 and she kept up with me through the years. I don't consider her a JW because of all the things she has done that they are not supposed to do but apparently she does still consider herself one. She called last week and she started talking about getting a new Revelation book. I said something about them making all the changes to it. I had just been reading some of the stupid things WTS used to say and told her how the Golden Age warned women about getting their hair cut short -- that it was going to cause them to go bald. Also told her the article said the reason men were already going bald was because they kept their hair cut short and wore tight hats. ... Something else was mentioned and she said it was "New Light" and all of a sudden she had to get off the phone. ... I then sent her a couple emails - one was about WTS and pedeofiles and told her to go to Silentlambs website. ... I haven't received another word from her and she used to forward me all kinds of silly emails. ... I think it's VERY FUNNY - I'm thinking I'll wait a week or so and send her another email with more info. I probably scared her to death and now she thinks I'm demonized!!! ROLF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit